Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US / AT&T] $28/$25 USD - Unlimited Talk / Text / Data (25gb LTE) - Canada / US / Mexico

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2020 11:45 pm
Jun 14, 2019
11 posts
6 upvotes
I want this plan but i'm honestly scared of getting cut off.
Rogers Plan
Unlimited Canada-Wide Calling
Unlimited Canada-Wide Sent & Received Text, Picture & Video Messages
Call Display with name display
Voicemail
2500 Call Forwarding Mins
Conference Calling
Call Waiting
30GB Data
90.93$ taxes in
Jun 18, 2013
130 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Jean07 wrote: I want this plan but i'm honestly scared of getting cut off.
The fact ATT lifted the 50% domestic usgae restriction is a clear indicator for the positive development of this kind of plan. And frankly speaking, ATT probably does not care for the small amount of canadian users who are taking advantage of this offer given the overall volume their customers base has for roaming. On the other hand, this is so pathetic that Canadian government has such a stupid protection for Rogers, Bell and Telus. On my way to get this plan from US Walmart I saw so many closing canadian stores and I felt the protection for local canadian telecom are not nonsense. Sigh, we are a large country with so few population.
I spent way too much time finding good deals! Now I will focus on getting my Ph.D. :)
Jun 15, 2019
26 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Back on topic,

Managed to go down to Walmart in Bellingham. Even had to do some explanations to both side of border officials for the purpose of day-trip. My AT&T prepaid line with auto pay was success.
Also, could any Multi-Line (ML) manager help explain the benefits of being a ML manager or being a member under a ML?

Kindly Regards,
Aug 31, 2006
350 posts
129 upvotes
techackz wrote: Yup. Call forwarding is free on Fongo to any Canadian Number as far as I know and works flawlessly. But why would you want to do that since your phone number with AT&T will be a US number?

So that's why TextNow is better if you have a US number. It allows you to forward to US numbers. So that way anyone who calls u on ur Canadian TextNow number will forward straight to your US phone number which is more convenient especially if you have a weak connection and don't want to rely on VoIP most of the time.

You can forward
Fongo → TextNow →US number

but I wouldn't recommend it. I think you'll probably run into problems. That's too much forwarding lol.
You can't call forward fongo to a US phone number?

Edit: just checked, their FAQ says you can forward to any North American number
Limitations/Restrictions:
You can forward to any North American number with a per minute rate of $0.03 per minute or less.
https://www.fongo.com/how-to-set-up-call-forwarding/
Apr 17, 2014
908 posts
345 upvotes
Corunna, ON
VoIP.ms is way better.

Second you can forward calls to your US number for 1 cent a minute but call quality is very good.

It just is.

Ask anyone who's tried both.
Aug 31, 2006
350 posts
129 upvotes
proplayer44 wrote: VoIP.ms is way better.

Second you can forward calls to your US number for 1 cent a minute but call quality is very good.

It just is.

Ask anyone who's tried both.
VoIP.ms in terms of call quality, or overall functionality?

Slightly off topic (but relevant to the conversation). What is the best voip that includes call forwarding and sms/mms (AND supports porting of an exiting number)? The actual call quality isn't as much of an issue since all calls will be either forwarded to the AT&T number (incoming calls), or made from the AT&T number (outgoing calls).

I (and I assume a few others in this thread) need something that has the best value/reliability in terms of porting, call forwarding, sms/mms, and app usability (I've only used fongo and the ui seems decent).

From what I understand by scouring this thread, only fongo, textnow and voip.ms support porting (rules out textme)? And none support mms (fongo only supports to other fongo users). I also read in fongo TOS that they have the right to delete your account if you don't make an outgoing call using their service within 90 days (although I've had a fairly dormant fongo account and haven't had this happen to me yet). Not sure if others have the same type of condition?
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
1036 posts
127 upvotes
So I'm thinking of picking up this plan, assuming the offer doesn't expire a week from now.
Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Mexico & Canada
Unlimited text from the U.S. to over 100 countries
But I think the only, very minor, hiccup is that the Text isn't international from Canada ... that's just between US/Can/Mex ... I do have a handful of people I can probably shift to some other mode of communication ... but is something of note depending on who you converse with and how.
If my post has helped you out, gimme a thumbs up! Buy/Sell/Trade with Confidence!

BST Feedback: 100% Positive on RFD, Heatware, eBay 50-0-0 (closed 2017-08-29), and I also manage a (FULL) AT&T Group Plan.
Jun 15, 2019
26 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
This offer expires on July 4th for online enrolment, and July 11th physical purchase.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2740 posts
2282 upvotes
Oakville
I brought three phones and activated the plan succeasfully. I'm keeping two and selling one.

First come first serve, and you will pay what I paid, including the cost of the hardware, conversion fee, tax, in Canadian Dollars.

I can meet in Milton or Burlington or Oakville.

PM me
-ZdpZ... ;)
Mar 20, 2007
804 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
if I have existing AT&T prepaid phone & SIM that I have purhcased previously (i.e. before 6/9) but never activated, can I activate on this plan or I must purchase a new phone/SIM?
I don't see how they know your phone is purchased before 6/9 on the AT&T subscription website.
Nov 14, 2004
247 posts
136 upvotes
Kelowna
dearsir wrote: if I have existing AT&T prepaid phone & SIM that I have purhcased previously (i.e. before 6/9) but never activated, can I activate on this plan or I must purchase a new phone/SIM?
I don't see how they know your phone is purchased before 6/9 on the AT&T subscription website.
I believe you need to register with the IMEI of the phone you purchased from Walmart. That will signify to AT&T that you bought the phone + sim card from Walmart.
Apr 22, 2015
235 posts
72 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I have both Fongo and TexNow and have lately been using TextNow more than Fongo. I believe TextNow can only forward if you have a premium acct
Apr 21, 2019
13 posts
4 upvotes
FatSheep wrote: The fact ATT lifted the 50% domestic usgae restriction is a clear indicator for the positive development of this kind of plan. And frankly speaking, ATT probably does not care for the small amount of canadian users who are taking advantage of this offer given the overall volume their customers base has for roaming. On the other hand, this is so pathetic that Canadian government has such a stupid protection for Rogers, Bell and Telus. On my way to get this plan from US Walmart I saw so many closing canadian stores and I felt the protection for local canadian telecom are not nonsense. Sigh, we are a large country with so few population.
I agree with @Fatsheep. I don't think AT&T care about the small amount of Canadians taking advantage of this deal (or the other one 8GB + 8 GB which I'm on). And what is the realistic amount of Canadians going onto this plan - a few thousand at most? I don't think we need to worry about being cutoff. These plans from AT&T are only for a limited time only so it's not like a million Canadians will sign up by then.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2002
1132 posts
450 upvotes
Vancouver
BedevereL56157 wrote: Back on topic,

Managed to go down to Walmart in Bellingham. Even had to do some explanations to both side of border officials for the purpose of day-trip. My AT&T prepaid line with auto pay was success.
Also, could any Multi-Line (ML) manager help explain the benefits of being a ML manager or being a member under a ML?

Kindly Regards,
Benefit of being a member under a ML is that if there are at least 5 lines then the monthly fee will be $28 and if the group has 10 lines then fee will be $24.

Looks like you are in Lower Mainland, pm yau1225. He is running a ML group if you have an Oregon number

lower-mainland-vancouver-t-prepaid-mult ... h-2291535/

To save more money, get an area code from state with no tax like Oregon.
Jun 15, 2019
26 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
brucele wrote: Benefit of being a member under a ML is that if there are at least 5 lines then the monthly fee will be $28 and if the group has 10 lines then fee will be $24.

Looks like you are in Lower Mainland, pm yau1225. He is running a ML group if you have an Oregon number

lower-mainland-vancouver-t-prepaid-mult ... h-2291535/
Thanks for reply,

I picked a number on the spot, being a WA area code that is.
That said, if anyone else out there in Lower Mainland that is interested to join my Multi-Line, I'd be happy to set it up as admin.