Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US / AT&T] $28/$25 USD - Unlimited Talk / Text / Data (25gb LTE) - Canada / US / Mexico

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2020 11:28 am
Newbie
Jul 4, 2018
19 posts
15 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
can anyone comment on the quality of Voip with the At&t latency? Specifically in Vancouver, but also interested in other regions.
Jr. Member
Oct 21, 2017
167 posts
99 upvotes
Kishin wrote: can anyone comment on the quality of Voip with the At&t latency? Specifically in Vancouver, but also interested in other regions.
haven't noticed anything on WhatsApp calls, in Windsor
AT&T 25GB
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 13, 2008
2740 posts
2282 upvotes
Oakville
banker8 wrote: To be fair to AT&T, if you activate, and/or add your initial credit, and/or make your first phone call whilst in Canada OR NOT using the Walmart phone, then you're taking your chances in my opinion. It is, after all, a US based service.

To be on the safe side, I would recommend the following:

(1) Buy the Walmart phone.

(2) Put the AT&T SIM card (that's included with the Walmart phone) inside of the Walmart phone ... do NOT put it inside of any other phone.

(3) Activate your service on the AT&T website, whilst you're physically present in the US, and your SIM card remains inside the Walmart phone.

(4) Whilst activating your service, when entering your details ... use a LEGITIMATE U.S. address, to which you have a GENUINE connection. Do the right thing. Local US residents pay state sales tax, and (if it's applicable for your state) you should be prepared to likewise do so. I do the right thing myself, by paying 8% NY state sales tax on my service. I do NOT condone the commission of fraudulent acts (as certain others have advocated) by entering a fake address in some dodgy tax-free US state.

(5) Add credit to your AT&T service (via credit card Autopay or other means), whilst you're physically present in the US, and your SIM card remains inside the Walmart phone.

(6) After activating your service, and adding credit ... Make your first phone call - and ensure the call connects, with the receiving party answering. Using the Walmart phone. Whilst you're physically present in the US, and your SIM card remains inside the Walmart phone.



After completing ALL of those steps ethically, then you can safely return to Canada, and transfer the SIM to the phone of your choosing unethucally, and make all the calls and use all the data unethically because you leave ethics at the border when crossing back into Canada..... And then optionally join a multi-line group, should you choose to do so.

If you missed any of those steps, and didn't get your 17 GB of bonus data, then you've no basis to complain. That's the price you pay for taking chances, and cutting corners.
LOL souledge is going to year you a new one after reading this.

I see you left out a part in your final step while on the high horse. :)
-ZdpZ... ;)
Jr. Member
May 7, 2019
175 posts
93 upvotes
zdpz,

I hope you had fun doctoring my post, with false words I didn't say.

If you say I'm on a "high horse" because I properly pay US state sales tax on my AT&T service, then fine. I'm happy to pay it. It's the right thing to do.

Whilst AT&T have removed the 50% restriction, it remains a breach of their T&C to be a fraudster (perhaps like yourself, zdpz) who's using a fake US address, to which you have NO relationship or connection, in a tax-free US state. For the sole purpose of evading the US state sales tax you should be paying like all of AT&T's other customers.

It's an easy query for AT&T's fraud analysts to run, to identity all such fraudsters, and terminate their service:

SELECT *
FROM customers
WHERE roaming_percent >= 0.95
AND telephone_area_code IN
(SELECT telephone_area_code
FROM states
WHERE state_code in (‘OR’, ‘DE’, ‘MT’, ‘NH’, ‘AK’) -- tax free US states
);
Member
Aug 31, 2006
350 posts
129 upvotes
banker8 wrote: zdpz,

I hope you had fun doctoring my post, with false words I didn't say.

If you say I'm on a "high horse" because I properly pay US state sales tax on my AT&T service, then fine. I'm happy to pay it. It's the right thing to do.

Whilst AT&T have removed the 50% restriction, it remains a breach of their T&C to be a fraudster (perhaps like yourself, zdpz) who's using a fake US address, to which you have NO relationship or connection, in a tax-free US state. For the sole purpose of evading the US state sales tax you should be paying like all of AT&T's other customers.

It's an easy query for AT&T's fraud analysts to run, to identity all such fraudsters, and terminate their service:

SELECT *
FROM customers
WHERE roaming_percent >= 0.95
AND telephone_area_code IN
(SELECT telephone_area_code
FROM states
WHERE state_code in (‘OR’, ‘DE’, ‘MT’, ‘NH’, ‘AK’) -- tax free US states
);
Honestly, by that criteria 95% of the people who are applying for this plan are being "fraudulent" since I doubt the majority have any relationship/business/personal ties to the state where they are registering their phone number in the first place. So whether they choose a state that has tax vs a state that doesn't have tax, they are "fraudsters" either way, so might as well be a "fraud" and pay less on the monthly bill Winking Face.
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2011
661 posts
598 upvotes
Vancouver
banker8 wrote: zdpz,

I hope you had fun doctoring my post, with false words I didn't say.

If you say I'm on a "high horse" because I properly pay US state sales tax on my AT&T service, then fine. I'm happy to pay it. It's the right thing to do.

Whilst AT&T have removed the 50% restriction, it remains a breach of their T&C to be a fraudster (perhaps like yourself, zdpz) who's using a fake US address, to which you have NO relationship or connection, in a tax-free US state. For the sole purpose of evading the US state sales tax you should be paying like all of AT&T's other customers.

It's an easy query for AT&T's fraud analysts to run, to identity all such fraudsters, and terminate their service:

SELECT *
FROM customers
WHERE roaming_percent >= 0.95
AND telephone_area_code IN
(SELECT telephone_area_code
FROM states
WHERE state_code in (‘OR’, ‘DE’, ‘MT’, ‘NH’, ‘AK’) -- tax free US states
);
welcome to RFD!

"banker8
Newbie
May 7, 2019"

In fact, you opened a new RFD account just to get on this "fraudulent" deal. You have not posted anywhere else other than the AT&T threads. :facepalm:
Jr. Member
May 7, 2019
175 posts
93 upvotes
yau1225 wrote: "In fact, you opened a new RFD account just to get on this "fraudulent" deal.

Wrong, yau1225. I have an older established 8GB AT&T plan, which I've had since prior to ever creating an account on RFD.

It's OK though ... I understand your sensitivities, as you have an Oregon area code. What's the likelihood you have a genuine, legitimate address in Oregon?

I haven't registered in a tax-free state like yourself. I do the right thing, by paying US state sales tax like other AT&T customers. I pay 11% tax on my AT&T service each month. Being 8% NY state sales tax, and the 3% e911 levy.

In fact, what you're doing is even worse. It's not just you alone, with your area code in the tax-free state of Oregon. You're requiring others to do the same.

You're running a multi-line group, where you've stated it's a requirement (to use your own words ... and with your own bold emphasis) for members of your group to similarly register themselves with an Oregon area code. I wonder why you require that? As with yourself, what's the likelihood of "all of your group members" having a genuine, legitimate address in tax-free Oregon?:

.
yau1225 wrote: [*]Oregon State area codes (503/541/971/458) – requirement to join the group
yau1225 wrote: If you are interested in joining our group - you must already have an OR state number
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2011
661 posts
598 upvotes
Vancouver
banker8 wrote: Wrong, yau1225. I have an older established 8GB AT&T plan, which I've had since prior to ever creating an account on RFD.

this makes your 8gb plan "non-fraudulent"? LUL very logical stuff you're presenting here

btw, I have business and transaction ties with the state of Oregon, so you can put your accusations away LUL.
Last edited by yau1225 on Jun 25th, 2019 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Aug 31, 2006
350 posts
129 upvotes
banker8 wrote: Wrong, yau1225. I have an older established 8GB AT&T plan, which I've had since prior to ever creating an account on RFD.

It's OK though ... I understand your sensitivities, as you have an Oregon area code. What's the likelihood you have a genuine, legitimate address in Oregon?

I haven't registered in a tax-free state like yourself. I do the right thing, by paying US state sales tax like other AT&T customers. I pay 11% tax on my AT&T service each month. Being 8% NY state sales tax, and the 3% e911 levy.

In fact, what you're doing is even worse. It's not just you alone, with your area code in the tax-free state of Oregon. You're requiring others to do the same.

You're running a multi-line group, where you've stated it's a requirement (to use your own words ... and with your own bold emphasis) for members of your group to similarly register themselves with an Oregon area code. I wonder why you require that? As with yourself, what's the likelihood of "all of your group members" having a genuine, legitimate address in tax-free Oregon?:

.
I have no relationship/business/ties to any USA states, so does that mean I shouldn't be applying for the deal at all? Like I said before, if you are allowed to choose your state you might as well save yourself some money (in true RFD fashion). According to you, in order for any of us to be "non-fraudsters" we should have some sort of relationship to the USA/state we are registering in. In that case, this thread probably shouldn't even exist on RFD (or for Canadians), and only Americans on SlickDeals.
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2011
661 posts
598 upvotes
Vancouver
KooJo wrote: I have no relationship/business/ties to any USA states, so does that mean I shouldn't be applying for the deal at all? Like I said before, if you are allowed to choose your state you might as well save yourself some money (in true RFD fashion). According to you, in order for any of us to be "non-fraudsters" we should have some sort of relationship to the USA/state we are registering in. In that case, this thread probably shouldn't even exist on RFD (or for Canadians), and only Americans on SlickDeals.
he's new to RFD, he is excused because he is the most legitimate person on the forum, he's not "fraudulent"
Newbie
Apr 17, 2019
3 posts
For those of you that have used Fongo or VoIP.ms, how well does the text forwarding work? Also, do outgoing calls and texts display your Canadian number to whoever you are calling?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 10, 2006
1250 posts
661 upvotes
5 line group is like $28 each. seems pretty decent.

$50/mo. but $40 with autopay:
- UNL Talk & Text
- 25GB High Speed Data then 2G
- Hotspot included
- Mexico and Canada roaming included

2 lines would be $70, 3 lines would be $100, 4 lines would be $120, and 5 lines would be $140.
Sr. Member
Apr 17, 2014
908 posts
345 upvotes
Corunna, ON
toothdeal wrote: For those of you that have used Fongo or VoIP.ms, how well does the text forwarding work? Also, do outgoing calls and texts display your Canadian number to whoever you are calling?
With VoIP.ms on Android the texting works really well as long as it's SMS. There is a pretty good third party app for texting in the playstore.

I haven't checked the VoIP.ms app on Apple in 6 months so there may be an update.

The interface was ugly and notifications did not work so you never knew when you received a text but once you opened the app and refreshed the text was there.

However the work around for that works well. You login to your VoIP.ms account online and forward all texts to your other number. When your US number receives a text from your Cad ported number you go open the VoIP.ms app then refresh the app by pulling down and the text appears. Then you can respond in the app.

If someone sends you an MMS you won't even know it was sent. They may wonder why you didn't respond.
Newbie
May 31, 2017
53 posts
46 upvotes
banker8 wrote: zdpz,

I hope you had fun doctoring my post, with false words I didn't say.

If you say I'm on a "high horse" because I properly pay US state sales tax on my AT&T service, then fine. I'm happy to pay it. It's the right thing to do.

Whilst AT&T have removed the 50% restriction, it remains a breach of their T&C to be a fraudster (perhaps like yourself, zdpz) who's using a fake US address, to which you have NO relationship or connection, in a tax-free US state. For the sole purpose of evading the US state sales tax you should be paying like all of AT&T's other customers.

It's an easy query for AT&T's fraud analysts to run, to identity all such fraudsters, and terminate their service:

SELECT *
FROM customers
WHERE roaming_percent >= 0.95
AND telephone_area_code IN
(SELECT telephone_area_code
FROM states
WHERE state_code in (‘OR’, ‘DE’, ‘MT’, ‘NH’, ‘AK’) -- tax free US states
);
I am struggling to understand what the point of all your arguing and ethics conversations are all about. This site is specifically designed for people to post and share deals with others. Not everyone comes from the same areas, not everyone has the means of getting deals or driving borders, staying in the USA and activating phones or traveling. If you found a way that works and shared it, great, just leave it at that and stop belittling others on ethics, terms of service and possible SQL statements.

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

mcgreezy