Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US / AT&T] $28/$25 USD - Unlimited Talk / Text / Data (25gb LTE) - Canada / US / Mexico

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2020 5:11 pm
May 7, 2019
175 posts
93 upvotes
KooJo wrote: Honestly, by that criteria 95% of the people who are applying for this plan are being "fraudulent" since I doubt the majority have any relationship/business/personal ties to the state where they are registering their phone number in the first place. So whether they choose a state that has tax vs a state that doesn't have tax, they are "fraudsters" either way, so might as well be a "fraud" and pay less on the monthly bill Winking Face.

Hi KooJo,

Whilst we have differing points of view, I appreciate your expression of your viewpoint in a polite and respectful way.

Thank You.
Jan 17, 2013
16 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
banker8 wrote: To be fair to AT&T, if you activate, and/or add your initial credit, and/or make your first phone call whilst in Canada OR NOT using the Walmart phone, then you're taking your chances in my opinion. It is, after all, a US based service.

To be on the safe side, I would recommend the following:

(1) Buy the Walmart phone.

(2) Put the AT&T SIM card (that's included with the Walmart phone) inside of the Walmart phone ... do NOT put it inside of any other phone.

(3) Activate your service on the AT&T website, whilst you're physically present in the US, and your SIM card remains inside the Walmart phone.

(4) Whilst activating your service, when entering your details ... use a LEGITIMATE U.S. address, to which you have a GENUINE connection. Do the right thing. Local US residents pay state sales tax, and (if it's applicable for your state) you should be prepared to likewise do so. I do the right thing myself, by paying 8% NY state sales tax on my service. I do NOT condone the commission of fraudulent acts (as certain others have advocated) by entering a fake address in some dodgy tax-free US state.

(5) Add credit to your AT&T service (via credit card Autopay or other means), whilst you're physically present in the US, and your SIM card remains inside the Walmart phone.

(6) After activating your service, and adding credit ... Make your first phone call - and ensure the call connects, with the receiving party answering. Using the Walmart phone. Whilst you're physically present in the US, and your SIM card remains inside the Walmart phone.

After completing ALL of those steps, then you can safely return to Canada, and transfer the SIM to the phone of your choosing. And then optionally join a multi-line group, should you choose to do so.

If you missed any of those steps, and didn't get your 17 GB of bonus data, then you've no basis to complain. That's the price you pay for taking chances, and cutting corners.
Don't know if I'm speaking for myself here...but I'm out here on RFD to take chances, cut corners and save money. You paying taxes is not "doing the right thing" lol, it's just you minimizing risk and not getting caught so let's leave the ethics and moral cards out of this.

Very helpful tips, nonetheless. You fraudster, you! ;)
May 7, 2019
175 posts
93 upvotes
Killahbyte wrote: I am struggling to understand what the point of all your arguing and ethics conversations are all about. This site is specifically designed for people to post and share deals with others. Not everyone comes from the same areas, not everyone has the means of getting deals or driving borders, staying in the USA and activating phones or traveling. If you found a way that works and shared it, great, just leave it at that and stop belittling others on ethics, terms of service and possible SQL statements.

Hi Killahbyte,

I've spent a lot of my own personal time (in the same manner as other helpful RFD'ers) offering my advice to others about the AT&T plans on the forum. Given that I'm knowledgeable about the plan myself, having been an AT&Tm customer for some time. I've been happy to share my insights and learnings with others.

I cautioned against establishing a service with a fake address in a tax-free US state, as this is a clear breach of the AT&T T&C. The more people who abuse the service in this way, the more the viability of the service becomes threatened for ALL Canada-based customers using it. Including those Canadians who do the right thing, who pay their US state sales tax (just like all the US based customers do), and who establish their service in the appropriate tax-paying US state that corresponds with their legitimate US address, to which they have a genuine connection.

The risk is that the more customers who abuse the service by utilizing it fraudulently, by setting it up with a fake address in a tax free US state ... the greater the likelihood that AT&T will kill the service for ALL of us ... including those of us doing the right thing ... by re-imposing the 50% restriction.

That is my firmly held belief. I expressed it in a general way - without mentioning any names - without singling anyone out.

However, when I am attacked personally, as both yau1225 and zdpz chose to do ... then I have the right to respond.

I hope that provides you with some perspective.

Thank You.
Last edited by banker8 on Jun 25th, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2740 posts
2281 upvotes
Oakville
banker8 wrote: zdpz,

I hope you had fun doctoring my post, with false words I didn't say.

If you say I'm on a "high horse" because I properly pay US state sales tax on my AT&T service, then fine. I'm happy to pay it. It's the right thing to do.

Whilst AT&T have removed the 50% restriction, it remains a breach of their T&C to be a fraudster (perhaps like yourself, zdpz) who's using a fake US address, to which you have NO relationship or connection, in a tax-free US state. For the sole purpose of evading the US state sales tax you should be paying like all of AT&T's other customers.

It's an easy query for AT&T's fraud analysts to run, to identity all such fraudsters, and terminate their service:

SELECT *
FROM customers
WHERE roaming_percent >= 0.95
AND telephone_area_code IN
(SELECT telephone_area_code
FROM states
WHERE state_code in (‘OR’, ‘DE’, ‘MT’, ‘NH’, ‘AK’) -- tax free US states
);
I pay tax you hoola hoop!

What fake US address? I have US address, green card, US bank accounts, my Uncle Sam costume, but just never had US number since I live in Canada and was paying $15/month for US calling, hence I jumped on this plan, since it's the first to allow Free roaming into both the countries I reside in without restrictions.

Unlike Canada, the US has no requirement for choosing a number within your state, hence why everyone is able to do it, and taxes have nothing to do with the phone number, but to the billing address. Being robbed in Canada be the big three for so long has really affected you my friend, there's a free market out there an hour's drive away, and it just opened a door to us to see the light. Enjoy! Unravel the gift! And spread your wings with song and dance, tell your friends! Just don't shit on it for everyone else.

And you can avoid paying the tax without faking your billing address if you read the thread again, rhymes with Mauling Fart.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Jul 26, 2018
709 posts
824 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Well this thread turned 180 real fast. Let's get back on track before the mods lock it...
May 31, 2017
53 posts
46 upvotes
banker8 wrote: Hi Killahbyte,

I've spent a lot of my own personal time (in the same manner as other helpful RFD'ers) offering my advice to others about the AT&T plans on the forum. Given that I'm knowledgeable about the plan myself, having been an AT&Tm customer for some time. I've been happy to share my insights and learnings with others.

I cautioned against establishing a service with a fake address in a tax-free US state, as this is a clear breach of the AT&T T&C. The more people who abuse the service in this way, the more the viability of the service becomes threatened for ALL Canada-based customers using it. Including those Canadians who do the right thing, who pay their US state sales tax (just like all the US based customers do), and who establish their service in the appropriate tax-paying US state that corresponds with their legitimate US address, to which they have a genuine connection.

The risk is that the more customers who abuse the service by utilizing it fraudulently, by setting it up with a fake address in a tax free US state ... the greater the likelihood that AT&T will kill the service for ALL of us ... including those of us doing the right thing ... by re-imposing the 50% restriction.

That is my firmly held belief. I expressed it in a general way - without mentioning any names - without singling anyone out.

However, hen I am attacked personally, as both yau1225 and zdpz chose to do ... then I have the right to respond.

I hope that provides you with some perspective.

Thank You.
I'm not attacking you, I even gave you a compliment by saying you found a way to get the deal and shared it. I get where you are coming from and believe me when I say activating outside the US and not paying taxes should be the least of your worries when being concerned about AT&T killing the service. Having open threads on Reddit, Redflag and many other forums has far more visibility then some random activation's with bogus info. Not to mention when you are talking clear breaches of terms of service, you violated that the moment you signed on as a non US resident.
May 31, 2017
53 posts
46 upvotes
secretalcoholic wrote: Well this thread turned 180 real fast. Let's get back on track before the mods lock it...
Agreed. So who else got 17 GB confirmed? lol
May 7, 2019
175 posts
93 upvotes
Killahbyte wrote: I'm not attacking you, I even gave you a compliment by saying you found a way to get the deal and shared it. I get where you are coming from and believe me when I say activating outside the US and not paying taxes should be the least of your worries when being concerned about AT&T killing the service. Having open threads on Reddit, Redflag and many other forums has far more visibility then some random activation's with bogus info. Not to mention when you are talking clear breaches of terms of service, you violated that the moment you signed on as a non US resident.

Hi Killahbyte,

I agree that you didn't attack me. Thanks for your positive input and contribution.

I was referring to yau1225 and zdpz, who did.

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2740 posts
2281 upvotes
Oakville
secretalcoholic wrote: Well this thread turned 180 real fast. Let's get back on track before the mods lock it...
Good point mate

Ironically, I think getting it locked may be in everyone's best interest now. All the questions that needed answering have been answered. Ah the very least we should move it to On Going discussion and away from hot deals.

People are just asking questions for things already answered.

But I leave that up to the ethical people on here to decide.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2740 posts
2281 upvotes
Oakville
Killahbyte wrote: Agreed. So who else got 17 GB confirmed? lol
For the 5 lines I got, all got ,17gb, some I made phone calls and used GPS data in US. For one line bought it and activated it in store and then drove back and 4 days later the data showed up.

And one line we removed the SIM and it didn't make a difference.

I think the people having issues are just because of a glitch on AT&T side. And for people who had the issue (with the exception of our friend souledge whos issue was an error by Walmart employees), it appears other people had their issue resolved after 12 days or so.

An intelligent user suggested we all let the first billing cycle be over before we freak out because that will show what's really going on.
-ZdpZ... ;)
May 31, 2017
53 posts
46 upvotes
zdpz wrote: For the 5 lines I got, all got ,17gb, some I made phone calls and used GPS data in US. For one line bought it and activated it in store and then drove back and 4 days later the data showed up.

And one line we removed the SIM and it didn't make a difference.

I think the people having issues are just because of a glitch on AT&T side. And for people who had the issue (with the exception of our friend souledge whos issue was an error by Walmart employees), it appears other people had their issue resolved after 12 days or so.

An intelligent user suggested we all let the first billing cycle be over before we freak out because that will show what's really going on.
Great feedback!! I just activated mine yesterday, I will wait patiently for the bonus data.
Jul 26, 2018
709 posts
824 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Yeah I believe ATT Prepaid works off a different system (hence a separate system portal, paygonline.com) so I wouldn't be surprised if it was older/more buggy.
Apr 13, 2005
643 posts
431 upvotes
Markham, ON
Is anyone who activated outside of June 15 to June 18 experiencing the glitch (only getting 16GB instead of 25GB?)
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
12953 posts
13702 upvotes
Page 50.

Is the consensus now that we're hooped if we use this predominately in Canada?

I'd like to throw upvotes at someone giving a good summary of the situation.
Jan 24, 2013
290 posts
109 upvotes
Ontario
at87on wrote: Is anyone who activated outside of June 15 to June 18 experiencing the glitch (only getting 16GB instead of 25GB?)
Activated 4 lines on June 20. Received the 8gb bonus data notification today for all 4 lines. Called in to ATT and they confirmed that all 4 lines are eligible and that they will get the 17gb by 10 business days. I made sure I had the CSR make a note on my account in case I had to call back in.

Others have said they orinally got only 8gb but then the full 17gb showed up a few days later. I'll wait the full 10 days before calling back in.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)