Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US / AT&T] $28/$25 USD - Unlimited Talk / Text / Data (25gb LTE) - Canada / US / Mexico

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2020 6:03 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
6135 posts
277 upvotes
Scarborough
My friend is in the states and she's picking up 2 phones for me. The electronic guy was trying to tell her that there is no Sim card in the phone and that she needs to buy a sim card. I guess he was trying to make extra commission? (I told her to just get the phones and ignore what the guy said)
May 7, 2019
184 posts
94 upvotes
lithiumli wrote: The electronic guy was trying to tell her that there is no Sim card in the phone and that she needs to buy a sim card.

The phone packaging includes a SIM card.

Some folk have had Walmart employees demand they buy a $50 recharge card with the phone. Technically they're within their rights to demand this, as the T&C's state that the first month's plan payment is due upon sale. But it's best NOT to buy this if possible, as when you enrol for Autopay you won't need it.

One option if you spend $35 or more, is to order your Walmart phone online, and have it delivered to your US address - or request that you'll pick up your paid-for order in-store. Thus avoiding the hassle of potentially having to deal with a difficult Walmart employee in the electronics section.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2542 posts
1550 upvotes
Toronto
Have you guys been removing the pre-installed SIM's and activating online, or using the on-device activation process? I pulled the SIM and am starting down the online approach, assuming it will be easier to set up the account, add the 2nd line etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
1039 posts
130 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Have you guys been removing the pre-installed SIM's and activating online, or using the on-device activation process? I pulled the SIM and am starting down the online approach, assuming it will be easier to set up the account, add the 2nd line etc.
Boot the Walmart Phone with the SIM in it during registration ... let the phone configure and pull down the AT&T bloatware. Then relocate the SIM after bonus data is assigned.
If my post has helped you out, gimme a thumbs up! Buy/Sell/Trade with Confidence!

BST Feedback: 100% Positive on RFD, Heatware, eBay 50-0-0 (closed 2017-08-29), and I also manage a (FULL) AT&T Group Plan.
Aug 31, 2006
356 posts
130 upvotes
eeric114 wrote: Thanks much. I did this but I still got the same message when I called......
Thx
Did you go through the vm setup in the app?
Apr 23, 2008
24 posts
4 upvotes
Yes i did, i get the same message "setting up your account" -> hmm, something still isn't right... call voice mail.... i have been doing this whole thing few times... i still can't get it setup... thanks
Apr 17, 2014
911 posts
346 upvotes
Corunna, ON
The good news is now you can get a Google voice number until it's fixed.

You have a US IP and a Us number to verify the text.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2542 posts
1550 upvotes
Toronto
I managed to get mine set up. I was getting an error when creating a new password and pin during the activation.

Maybe it’s in the “pluck ‘em and file ‘em” booklets which I naturally didn’t read, but if you do encounter an issue go to the paygo activation url and use your new phone number and the last 4 digits are the initial temporary pin.

Do this from the device itself - then setting a password (upper, lowercase and numbers) and a pin seems to work.

I managed to get both of mine activated. One last night and by this morning my autopay discount was showing on it. Sent a multi line discount invite to line #2 and accepted it.

So I’m now at $70 monthly for the two $50 8gb plans + bonus. I was told by AT$T to expect the 17GB bonus to show up in 10 days.

So will keep my other line active till then and leave the sims in the two Axia smartphones (decent for $40) till then.

Will pull them once I have the bonus data and put one in my iPhone 7+ and the other in an old iPhone 5 which will be used to tether to as needed.

BTW AT&T also has a $65 ($55 after autopay) Unlimited plan including Canada. But no tethering on that plan. Wonder how it would behave in a mobile hotspot device.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2008
1570 posts
284 upvotes
Still haven't received my 17GB BONUS data. I have the 8GB BONUS but that's it. Talked to AT&T rep and at first they didn't know of such a promo. Then when she went to "look for it" she finds it. Now they're arguing that the terms don't include autopay hence I'm not eligible. Even tho I specifically told her about the promo on their website and their FAQ section addressing the autopay.

Are these guys as stupid as Rogers? No wonder they work well together. Dumb and dumber.

EDIT: 17GB not 25GB Bonus
Jan 24, 2013
292 posts
109 upvotes
Ontario
saffant wrote: Still haven't received my 17GB BONUS data. I have the 8GB BONUS but that's it. Talked to AT&T rep and at first they didn't know of such a promo. Then when she went to "look for it" she finds it. Now they're arguing that the terms don't include autopay hence I'm not eligible. Even tho I specifically told her about the promo on their website and their FAQ section addressing the autopay.

Are these guys as stupid as Rogers? No wonder they work well together. Dumb and dumber.

EDIT: 17GB not 25GB Bonus
So were they able to give you the 17gb after all? I'm in the same boat (only got 8gb), dreading having to call them tomorrow (will be the 10 day mark for me since activation) as I'm sure I'll get the run around from ATT too.
May 14, 2019
61 posts
41 upvotes
I am only getting the 8gb data bonus after 10 days now. Called into att and and wasted an hour without knowing if I will get the additional 9GB of bonus data or not for the total 25GB. The issue I have was because I took out the sim and used it on a different phone than the one I purchased from Walmart. This triggered a different IMEI being logged into their system and as the result, qualified me for their 16GB data which kicked in before the Walmart promo take place. The CSR told me I am qualified for both promos but unfortunately he can’t switched me over to the 25GB and will have to submit a ticket. At this point, I don’t know what is going to happen. He told me they are going to text me if their are any updates, but I am feeling they are just saying that and play the waiting game with me. Not happy about this.

I suggest for those people who sign up a new line from Walmart to leave their sim in the Walmart phone until they receive their bonus data before switching it out. But even after that I don’t know if it will affect the next month bonus data since their system may register a new imei when you try to use it on another phone. This is pretty dumb restriction they have but I am not sure how we can work around it.
Apr 17, 2014
911 posts
346 upvotes
Corunna, ON
I think the sim in phone has no effect. It's just what the reps say as an excuse. I never kept the sim in a phone and still received the bonus.
May 7, 2019
184 posts
94 upvotes
CyberXX wrote: But even after that I don’t know if it will affect the next month bonus data since their system may register a new imei when you try to use it on another phone.

Yes ... the concern I've likewise expressed.

CyberXX wrote: This is pretty dumb restriction they have but I am not sure how we can work around it.

Actually, it's a very smart restriction, if the objective of the advertised incentive, is to ensure ongoing loyalty as a Walmart AT&T customer. It demonstrates the sophistication of AT&T infrastructure and systems, if they have the capability to enforce this.

The problem for AT&T, is that whilst their systems technology is advanced, the brains trust in their legal and marketing departments hasn't caught up. Their published T&C's state no such obligation to use the Walmart phone on an ongoing basis.

Unfortunately this defeats the purpose of Canadians wishing to maintain their 17 GB of bonus data. Although the 8 GB of base data is still generous, and the anecdotal evidence of others is that throttling isn't applied in Canada when this is exceeded, with data remaining at full speed. As tororontotim has mentioned, there's also the option of paying for the "premium" plans (priced at $65 and $85) that include unlimited data ... with all plans $50 and above being usable in Canada.
May 14, 2019
61 posts
41 upvotes
proplayer44 wrote: I think the sim in phone has no effect. It's just what the reps say as an excuse. I never kept the sim in a phone and still received the bonus.
Perhaps you got lucky, or I have bad luck. Either way, I still haven’t got my 17GB bonus data even after the 10 days waiting, and there is no sign from the CSR that I will get it. They did specifically told me that the IMEI registered on their system wasn’t the Walmart phone I purchased and I could not say no because I did put the sim into my iPhone 8 Plus to use for a few days because I couldn’t live with the cheap Alcatel tetra phone that I purchased.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)