Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US / AT&T] $28/$25 USD - Unlimited Talk / Text / Data (25gb LTE) - Canada / US / Mexico

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2020 6:10 am
Jun 7, 2009
457 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
I think you use bonus data first, then base data, then rollover data, in that order.

rollover data is good for 12 months.

I expect people to have a beefy 96 GB rollover allowance after awhile.
Jun 12, 2019
144 posts
70 upvotes
Also seeking to join a group. Please PM me if you are setting one up. Thanks!
Dec 18, 2017
924 posts
1833 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
souledge wrote: I think you use bonus data first, then base data, then rollover data, in that order.

rollover data is good for 12 months.

I expect people to have a beefy 96 GB rollover allowance after awhile.
Bonus data doesn't roll over. Roll over data expires within 30 days.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 13.53.31.png
Last edited by vancityguy0 on Jun 13th, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Nov 14, 2003
319 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
banker8 wrote: Yes, but AT&T will NOT let you pick your assigned number, and the state to which it belongs, out of thin air.

Does anyone know how they determine this?
Just tell them you are visiting from Montana, and you want a 'local' number.
May 7, 2019
184 posts
94 upvotes
No, that's not true.

I'm already an AT&T customer, on the 8GB plan (base data only - no bonus data).

I can confirm the base data allowance only rolls over for ONE month - not in perpetuity. So you can only have a maximum of 16 GB in a given month - and that's if you used NO data the prior month.

From reading the T&C of the Walmart deal, it appears the 17 GB bonus data doesn't roll over at all. On a positive note, the bonus data is used first - before the base data. So, if your usage is 17 GB or less in a given month, you'll have 33 GB available the following month.

This (33 GB) is the MAXIMUM you can ever have available in a given month.
Dec 18, 2017
924 posts
1833 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
nicermog wrote: If only Reliance Jio would come to Canada. They would ruin Telus and the rest of the bastards.
Why on earth would an indian mobile operator try and set up shop in canada?
May 7, 2019
184 posts
94 upvotes
Cnsultnt wrote: Just tell them you are visiting from Montana, and you want a 'local' number.

How is your number's area code, and applicable U.S. state for tax purposes, determined with an online activation?

I'm paying N.Y. state tax of 8% on my current AT&T 8GB plan. Every month, I'm billed USD $44.40 via Autopay.

When I activated the SIM online, I used my U.S. mailing address for my residential address. This was also the SIM delivery address - as I had ordered the SIM online. That same address is also my U.S. credit card billing address.

I'm unsure whether they obtained the state (of N.Y.) for tax purposes, from (a) the SIM delivery address; (b) my registered residential address (entered upon activation); or (c) the billing address on my U.S. credit card. In my case, all three of those are the SAME address ... being my U.S. mailing address.

Does anyone know for sure?
Jun 7, 2009
457 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
vancityguy0 wrote: Bonus data doesn't roll over. Roll over data expires within 30 days.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 13.53.31.png
Oh boo, Cingular (pre-AT&T) used to have 12 month rollover, and AT&T carried that through post-merger for awhile. Sad to see rollover data is only good for 30 days.
Jan 28, 2017
177 posts
96 upvotes
banker8 wrote: Yes, but AT&T will NOT let you pick your assigned number, and the state to which it belongs, out of thin air.

Does anyone know how they determine this?
From my experience when recently ordering AT&T sim cards online (based on the link from the original thread): at some stage of the checkout you are presented with an option to "select your area code" - the default code is the area where you are ordering the SIM cards to be delivered, i.e. where you will be picking up the card. At the option to "select your area code" (May be called something like "I want to select my own number"), you can override the default area code - they will ask which address you will be mainly using it from. So, if this address happens to be Alaska or New Hampshire, don't be shy, tell them that. You need to look up the exact address of that B&B in Montana or Alaska where you are planning to stay for a while, and input it when prompted. May be a different setup for those of you who will be picking the SIM cards in person at Wallmart...
May 7, 2019
184 posts
94 upvotes
souledge wrote: Oh boo, Cingular (pre-AT&T) used to have 12 month rollover, and AT&T carried that through post-merger for awhile. Sad to see rollover data is only good for 30 days.

Seriously - would you ever need more than 25 to 33 GB of data, as you'll get every month with this plan?

In most months you'll have a whopping 33 GB of data available - providing you didn't exceed 17 GB of usage in the prior month.

You'll even use less data if you leave AT&T Stream Saver enabled (it's enabled by default), which downgrades all streamed video to SD quality (480p). Which has no marked difference in quality when watched on a small mobile phone screen.

You'll only push those data limits, if you're a "wise guy" and disconnect your home internet service, then use this AT&T plan exclusively for ALL your data usage. In which case you're a leecher ... you'll probably pop up on an AT&T or Rogers network usage report (monitoring performed by the carriers, to identify data usage outliers - particularly those outliers whose usage is exclusively comprised of "roaming") ... once you're on their radar as an "outlier", you'll promptly have your service disconnected.
Dec 18, 2017
924 posts
1833 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
souledge wrote: Oh boo, Cingular (pre-AT&T) used to have 12 month rollover, and AT&T carried that through post-merger for awhile. Sad to see rollover data is only good for 30 days.

Mate, Cingular has been gone for more than a decade?

Time to let go. Just saying. Winking Face

For others, state tax wise, I told the WA store rep that I was visiting from OR state and they just let me pick an Oregonian number from a drop down list moments later.

YMMV though as I’ve heard staff have asked others to see ID to get the address right and then the cats out of the bag unless you’ve previously strategised your responses.

If you’re gonna go travel to another country to get this, sort out your responses before hand. Plan how you’re going to handle an inquisitive rep in advance to ensure that the juice is worth the squeeze.

It costs money to change your number later. And I’m not sure how much harder the change is if you’re switching States in your account.
May 7, 2019
184 posts
94 upvotes
Nam5588 wrote: From my experience when recently ordering AT&T sim cards online (based on the link from the original thread): at some stage of the checkout you are presented with an option to "select your area code" - the default code is the area where you are ordering the SIM cards to be delivered, i.e. where you will be picking up the card. At the option to "select your area code" (May be called something like "I want to select my own number"), you can override the default area code - they will ask which address you will be mainly using it from. So, if this address happens to be Alaska or New Hampshire, don't be shy, tell them that. You need to look up the exact address of that B&B in Montana or Alaska where you are planning to stay for a while, and input it when prompted. May be a different setup for those of you who will be picking the SIM cards in person at Wallmart...

Yes, I was asked that for my current AT&T 8GB plan, when I ordered my SIM online.

I selected the default area code option presented to me ... which I gather was based upon the SIM delivery address I specified.

Whilst alternate area code options were available for selection in a drop-down list (I didn't go through the list to see all the options), I presume they were all in the SAME U.S. state as my specified delivery address. If that's the case, the selection of a different area code would've had no bearing on the U.S. state tax I'm charged each month.

I'm not overly fussed about paying the 8% N.Y. state tax each month. We all need to pay our fair share - and there's less chance of AT&T withdrawing this service from Canadian roamers, if everyone "does the right thing" and contributes, by paying the proper amount of U.S. state tax each month, just like a U.S. local would.
Dec 18, 2017
924 posts
1833 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
banker8 wrote: You'll only push those data limits, if you're a "wise guy" and disconnect your home internet service, then use this AT&T plan exclusively for ALL your data usage. In which case you're a leecher ... you'll probably pop up on an AT&T or Rogers network usage report (monitoring performed by the carriers, to identify data usage outliers - particularly those outliers whose usage is exclusively comprised of "roaming") ... once you're on their radar as an "outlier", you'll promptly have your service disconnected.

THIS! Don’t be an a-hole. STAY UNDER THE RADAR. Don’t screw it up for the rest of us. We’re sharing tips and deals here to help each other save money.

But if you abuse the deal, it will get taken away from everyone and we will find you, put you in a honeymoon suite with Trump and give him the keys.

Don’t be that guy. Thx!
Apr 20, 2006
131 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know when this deal expires?
TANGERINE $0.00 monthly fees

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)