Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US / AT&T] $28/$25 USD - Unlimited Talk / Text / Data (25gb LTE) - Canada / US / Mexico

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2020 6:10 am
May 7, 2019
184 posts
94 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote:
But if you abuse the deal, it will get taken away from everyone and we will find you, put you in a honeymoon suite with Trump and give him the keys.

Don’t be that guy. Thx!

What a scary thought. Alone with Trump, with his small hands ............
Apr 13, 2005
643 posts
433 upvotes
Markham, ON
If you're in the GTA and are interested in joining a group, please message me.
I'm looking to setup 1 right now.
May 7, 2019
184 posts
94 upvotes
Nam5588 wrote: they will ask which address you will be mainly using it from. So, if this address happens to be Alaska or New Hampshire, don't be shy, tell them that. You need to look up the exact address of that B&B in Montana or Alaska where you are planning to stay for a while

LOL, I wonder whether popular B&B premises in those tax-free states (those that prominently appear in Tripadvisor reviews, etc) have thousands of AT&T customers registered as living there?
May 7, 2019
184 posts
94 upvotes
neptune wrote: Does the SIM card come with the prepaid phone or it gets shipped to a US address later?

For the Walmart 25GB offer - the AT&T SIM card comes with the phone.

It's NOT activated in store. It's a self-serve activation process, after purchase, on the AT&T website.

I'm not sure whether it has to be activated whilst physically present on U.S. soil. In which case, it would effectively need to be activated the "same day" you purchase the phone from Walmart U.S., before you return to Canada. I've asked this question ... we'll see if anyone knows.
Nov 27, 2013
84 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
banker8 wrote: I'm not sure whether it has to be activated whilst physically present on U.S. soil. In which case, it would effectively need to be activated the "same day" you purchase the phone from Walmart U.S., before you return to Canada. I've asked this question ... we'll see if anyone knows.
You can activate it anywhere. As long as the SIM card connects to a tower, whether in the US or outside the US on a roaming partner, it does not matter.
May 7, 2019
184 posts
94 upvotes
rd-333 wrote: You can activate it anywhere. As long as the SIM card connects to a tower, whether in the US or outside the US on a roaming partner, it does not matter.

Do you know this from experience?
Nov 27, 2013
84 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
banker8 wrote: Do you know this from experience?
Yup, I've activated many lines in the past.
Jun 7, 2009
457 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
vancityguy0 wrote: Mate, Cingular has been gone for more than a decade?

Time to let go. Just saying. Winking Face

For others, state tax wise, I told the WA store rep that I was visiting from OR state and they just let me pick an Oregonian number from a drop down list moments later.

YMMV though as I’ve heard staff have asked others to see ID to get the address right and then the cats out of the bag unless you’ve previously strategised your responses.

If you’re gonna go travel to another country to get this, sort out your responses before hand. Plan how you’re going to handle an inquisitive rep in advance to ensure that the juice is worth the squeeze.

It costs money to change your number later. And I’m not sure how much harder the change is if you’re switching States in your account.
Is tax charged based on the master account, or per each individual line under a group account?
Aug 31, 2006
356 posts
130 upvotes
rd-333 wrote: Yup, I've activated many lines in the past.
If I buy the phone from Walmart and activate online, can I easily choose which state I want to get the number for during setup (ie. Oregon for no tax)?
May 7, 2019
184 posts
94 upvotes
rd-333 wrote: Yup, I've activated many lines in the past.

Cool. Thanks mate.

That's great to know :-)
Apr 21, 2019
13 posts
4 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: THIS! Don’t be an a-hole. STAY UNDER THE RADAR. Don’t screw it up for the rest of us. We’re sharing tips and deals here to help each other save money.

But if you abuse the deal, it will get taken away from everyone and we will find you, put you in a honeymoon suite with Trump and give him the keys.

Don’t be that guy. Thx!
Totally agree with vancityguy0! Please don't be that guy. We can have a good thing going for a long time.
Nov 27, 2013
84 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
KooJo wrote: If I buy the phone from Walmart and activate online, can I easily choose which state I want to get the number for during setup (ie. Oregon for no tax)?
Tax is based on the state of the area code. During activation, the system will assign a phone number based on the zip code you enter. So just pick a zip code based in whatever state you want your area code to be in.
May 7, 2019
184 posts
94 upvotes
KooJo wrote: If I buy the phone from Walmart and activate online, can I easily choose which state I want to get the number for during setup (ie. Oregon for no tax)?

Let's see if anyone knows the answer.

As I've mentioned, I'm paying 8% N.Y. state tax each month, on my current AT&T 8GB plan. I'm not too fussed about it. We all need to pay our fair share - and there's less chance of AT&T withdrawing this service from Canadian roamers, if everyone "does the right thing" and contributes, by paying the proper amount of U.S. state tax each month, just like a U.S. local would.

========================
Another thing to consider:
========================

Do you really want to be assigned a weird number with a dodgy unrecognizable area code, in somewhere like Alaska? Are you going to be freely distributing that number of yours (with the Alaskan area code) to everyone, free of embarrassment, as your contact number? To your friends, your boss, your work colleagues, the officials at your children's school, to all your service providers, and to government departments? Think about it.

Although, I guess you could get a Canadian number via a VOIP service, and forward it to your AT&T number ... as some folks are doing. Then distribute your Canadian number to everyone.

As for me ... I no longer have a Canadian number. I'm happy to freely distribute my AT&T number, with it's N.Y. area code, to everyone. If I ever come across a service provider who can't call a U.S. number (I'm yet to encounter one), and specifically requests a Canadian number ... I'll give them my work number (ie, my 416 based office desk phone).
May 7, 2019
184 posts
94 upvotes
rd-333 wrote: Tax is based on the state of the area code. During activation, the system will assign a phone number based on the zip code you enter. So just pick a zip code based in whatever state you want your area code to be in.

Are you free to enter any valid zip code? With no other cross checks performed?

If the zip code you enter, doesn't match the one on your credit card billing address (for the card details you'll enter for Autopay), will this cause a problem?