Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart USA] OVERPOWERED Gaming Laptop 15+,144Hz IPS, Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD $799USD

Dec 10, 2003
383 posts
244 upvotes
Vancouver #1
Ambushes wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 1:31 pm
This is an even better deal than OP. If anyone plans on going over to pick this one up LMK I can compensate you if you pick one up for me as well!
This one doesn't have SSD right? So you gotta add another hundred to the price. And the screen is kind of wasted since the card can't drive games to 144hz.

$550usd = $700cdn + border tax $70 + SSD $80 = $850 cdn total + time spent driving and waiting at the border, plus gas money.

Still a decent deal if you don't get taxed at the border. to compare, Dell G3 at Microsoft was around $750 before tax with better graphics card if my memory is correct.
Jan 9, 2014
613 posts
452 upvotes
Regina
FlukeSkywalker wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 12:50 pm
The 15 inch 1050 is back in Stock for $499 USD! Awesome screen with solid specs for a student who does some light gaming too. The screen alone should be worth a few hundred.
link?

found nothing at that price... in the US right now
Mar 16, 2010
126 posts
59 upvotes
Canada
hill15 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 11:56 am
I am so happy for you that you got a great deal and you showed all those nay sayers that it is possible to get a good deal if you just put some effort.

Keep up the great work and keep posting.
Let's be real here, you can only put in the "effort" if you live close to the US border. This deal is nothing to anyone who doesn't.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
1305 posts
2569 upvotes
Sylenall wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 3:30 pm
Let's be real here, you can only put in the "effort" if you live close to the US border. This deal is nothing to anyone who doesn't.
True enough. But their are people on here even if they lived 5 minutes away would still bitch. Some people just want to order online and have it shipped to their homes and if they can't, they downvote, unable to get deal.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1847 posts
325 upvotes
93civicin604 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 1:34 pm
I politely disagree with you sir.
Linus knows his stuff, even in this video, his diagnosis of the single channel RAM was in the right direction. And that was real time without deep inspection of the laptop.

Two, his opinions are not biassed. Just this week. One of his video was sponsored by Origins PC. Yet another video gave them the worst review out of six PC makers.

Three, he's from Vancouver. Best city in the country, therefore best reviewer in the country.
I watched that video yesterday. While you should definitely take Linus as an entertainer first and foremost, in certain areas where he has expertise - like computers - his opinion is certainly worth something. I'd buy this laptop if I felt going over the border is worth my time and hassle.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10563 posts
10631 upvotes
If this were selling for an equivalent translated price in Canada, does anyone doubt this laptop would be a hot seller?

Let's be serious folks, this is a good value for money system, and the build quality appears to be decent. Compared to most garbage in the Walmart Electronics section, I'm impressed. That said, just like most things American, American Walmart is generally bigger and better.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2012
1022 posts
555 upvotes
AnujS699 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 2:49 pm
link?

found nothing at that price... in the US right now
Sold out again.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/OVERPOWERED-Gaming-Laptop-15-2-Year-Warranty-144Hz-Intel-i5-8300H-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-Mechanical-LED-Keyboard-128-SSD-1TB-HDD-8GB-RAM-Windows-10/682079574

no idea how to "fix" these links so that they are clickable.
May 21, 2015
143 posts
87 upvotes
Montreal, QC
visiting family in the US and i picked up the 17" version for work - super lightweight, runs smooth, and the screen is beautiful (same screen used in Omen laptops)

only downside i can see so far is the fans kick in when the comp gets hot, instead of increasing gradually - this is the Overpowered software monitoring so it will need some tweaking
Edit: Also, don't expect the small battery to last very long. Non-gaming use gives about 2-3 hours max.

otherwise, it's a beast for amazingly cheap - this is for all models
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2003
1858 posts
111 upvotes
93civicin604 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 1:34 pm
I politely disagree with you sir.
Linus knows his stuff, even in this video, his diagnosis of the single channel RAM was in the right direction. And that was real time without deep inspection of the laptop.

Two, his opinions are not biassed. Just this week. One of his video was sponsored by Origins PC. Yet another video gave them the worst review out of six PC makers.

Three, he's from Vancouver. Best city in the country, therefore best reviewer in the country.
I never said Linus didn't know his stuff. I'm sure in the beginnings of his youtube vlogging, there were real nuggets of knowledgeable opinions, but not so much now. In this video where he "diagnosed" single channel ram (which has already been vlogged by Bobofalltrades) as an issue, anyone who knows about computers knows you need to install them in pairs. Hell, ram is mostly sold in pairs for that reason.

Linus' opinions aren't biased and I never said they were. I just don't care for his antics to get viewership. In the video, he spends the first part of the video babbling about something his momma supposedly told him and goes to lengths to make fun of the OP logo and the way the game center software opens up. Is that really germane to what viewers want to know about how the laptop performs or more of a clown trying to entertain the kids?

Vancouver is best in the country alright....right next to Toronto thinking real estate always goes up. How else can you explain crack shacks selling for millions of dollars and the xenophobia towards the Chinese who are supposedly buying all of these hot properties?!
crackshack sells for $2.3M...

Opinions are like A-holes....it's not that everyone has one, it's just some are bigger than others! ;) My point was that everyone who thought this deal sucked was basing it on videos of the desktops made by others including Linus without even bothering to look at what a normal, non showy reviewer like Bob was saying.
Dec 10, 2003
383 posts
244 upvotes
Vancouver #1
nitro wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 7:00 pm
I never said Linus didn't know his stuff. I'm sure in the beginnings of his youtube vlogging, there were real nuggets of knowledgeable opinions, but not so much now. In this video where he "diagnosed" single channel ram (which has already been vlogged by Bobofalltrades) as an issue, anyone who knows about computers knows you need to install them in pairs. Hell, ram is mostly sold in pairs for that reason.

Linus' opinions aren't biased and I never said they were. I just don't care for his antics to get viewership. In the video, he spends the first part of the video babbling about something his momma supposedly told him and goes to lengths to make fun of the OP logo and the way the game center software opens up. Is that really germane to what viewers want to know about how the laptop performs or more of a clown trying to entertain the kids?

Vancouver is best in the country alright....right next to Toronto thinking real estate always goes up. How else can you explain crack shacks selling for millions of dollars and the xenophobia towards the Chinese who are supposedly buying all of these hot properties?!
crackshack sells for $2.3M...

Opinions are like A-holes....it's not that everyone has one, it's just some are bigger than others! ;) My point was that everyone who thought this deal sucked was basing it on videos of the desktops made by others including Linus without even bothering to look at what a normal, non showy reviewer like Bob was saying.
Not all single stick RAM system has this handicap. Wasn't the asus system in the video on single stick too? Bob couldn't figure out why neither. I hope they come up with a fix soon.

The OP control centre is worthy of attention. It is a critical component of the system. Users will be interacting with it constantly to change the lighting, or fan speed or performance mode. It is behaving rather slow and weirdly so they should be told how it behaves.

I like Bob for pointing out how setting performance mode in the OP game centre actually reduces frame rates. I experienced this too. Linus did not pick this out but his audience is not for the hardcore nerds. Bob is. Bob can spend a weeks doing review on a single laptop because he's not pumping out 3 videos a day like linus is with 7 million subscribers. So what we have is a recommendation by a mainstream reviewer and a niche reviewer. I hope bob puts out more video on this laptop to show how to optimize for best performance and best battery life.

The high housing prices only supports how great of a place to live Vancouver is. Lots of people want to live here. If houses are over priced here why don't buyers shop in Flimflam? Let's not get into a meaningless debate on real estate over the internet.
May 4, 2015
171 posts
36 upvotes
I will never again buy a gaming laptop, heating after few months or few years of use scrap the video card generally. You need to clean the fan often to prevent the heat of playing video games. In my experience, laptop fan dont prevent the heating inside the laptop for a long period of time.
Dec 10, 2003
383 posts
244 upvotes
Vancouver #1
I just got a starter pack code from intel for buying this laptop. Anyone else got it too? Can't seem to activate it on my phone or work computer. What's in it anyways?
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2012
1022 posts
555 upvotes
93civicin604 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 12:29 pm
I just got a starter pack code from intel for buying this laptop. Anyone else got it too? Can't seem to activate it on my phone or work computer. What's in it anyways?
Same issue here but from what I gather from other forums is that there are no more codes available. I have emailed walmart about this issue and am awaiting a response.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2003
1858 posts
111 upvotes
FlukeSkywalker wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 1:47 pm
Same issue here but from what I gather from other forums is that there are no more codes available. I have emailed walmart about this issue and am awaiting a response.
Same issue. The link in the email in case of non working keys isnt working either. Pretty sloppy rollout in my opinion.
On another note, anyone having trouble with Windows Hello? Says Windows Hello isn't available on this device despite reviews saying the camera is capable. Not a deal breaker but would like to know why.
Apr 1, 2008
764 posts
34 upvotes
GTA
Friends - as of 8:29pm ET, the Overpowered 15+ system is back in stock at Walmart for $799 USD.

In for one.