USB-C to Lightning Cables from $3

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2021 3:11 pm
[OP]
Jul 23, 2019
23 posts
42 upvotes

[Walmart] USB-C to Lightning Cables from $3

Just picked up some USB-C to lightning cables at Walmart on clearance.

ONN ™ 0.9 meter Lightning to USB-C Connector Charge & Sync Cable [$3]
https://stocktrack.ca/?s=wm&upc=62891741573

Scosche Ci4B6SG-SP Strikeline MFi Certified Premium Charge & Sync Braided Cable for Lightning and USB-C Devices 6'-Space Gray [$5]
https://stocktrack.ca/?s=wm&upc=33991080065

The Scosche one is of better quality and will probably last longer, although the ONN brand is cheaper and more widely available.
Images
  • 0B907B83-9B08-4092-B6CA-5A0D45A22181.jpeg
  • 1BA1D52F-BA34-485F-AFB6-8E6666AE3289.jpeg
46 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4414 posts
889 upvotes
Toronto
I'm going to be grandpa here - "don't use a $3 cable to charge a $1000 phone!"

If you're charging an iPhone 6/7/8/X - go for it.

If you're charging a new $1k phone, use the one in the box or grab one from Apple or at least a quality brand like Anker or even Amazon Basics.

Same with bricks - don't cheap out too much!
Last edited by jiffylube1024 on Sep 2nd, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21108 posts
25052 upvotes
jiffylube1024 wrote: I'm going to be grampa here - "don't use a $3 cable to charge a $1000 phone!"

If you're charging a new $1k phone, use the one in the box or grab one from Apple or at least a quality brand like Anker or even Amazon Basics.

Actually, following your logic, I would exclude Amazon Basics. They're no better than dollar store or Shenzhen surplus.

The cords won't be a problem though, there's smart circuitry in your phone protecting against basic current issues (up to a point). Worry more about the charger.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Sep 2nd, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
3114 posts
776 upvotes
Mississauga
These cables are MFi Certified. They have the official Made for iPhone badge on them. I wouldn't worry too much about them.
Penalty Box
Jul 31, 2020
1216 posts
918 upvotes
input wrote: These cables are MFi Certified. They have the official Made for iPhone badge on them. I wouldn't worry too much about them.
This, its not the price that makes them good or not.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2003
5085 posts
5882 upvotes
Are the $4 ones from Dollarama MFI-certified? I didn't pay attention to the certification logo.
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2949 posts
2786 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Scosche has been around for ages.

Used to buy many Car Audio dash kits and wire harnesses from them for many years and never had an issue. I'd trust cables from them, way before trusting amazon basics.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
4281 posts
3249 upvotes
Vancouver
BB88 wrote: Are the $4 ones from Dollarama MFI-certified? I didn't pay attention to the certification logo.
Probably yes. But MFI is not an indication of quality. It just means they’ve paid to use Apple’s authentication chip. All those melted AmazonBasics cables were MFI.
Feb 12, 2006
547 posts
635 upvotes
jiffylube1024 wrote: Yeah, I'm just anal about it. I know Amazon basics has an up and down reputation and I do depend on them less and less.
Amazon Basics has been hit and miss for me. Sometimes great quality/value, sometimes terrible.

I ordered a pack of 50 lightning/USB-A cables from them, and they're all these stiff cables (which break)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33976 posts
7615 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
input wrote: These cables are MFi Certified. They have the official Made for iPhone badge on them. I wouldn't worry too much about them.
I doubt they are MiFi, just because they print it on the packaging, doesn’t mean they are certified by Apple

The problem is the chip in the lighting connector. Apple charges 3$ USD for each chip. That’s why the cables cost so much

@jiffylube1024

I am surprised at the quality of Amazon Basics cables and I have no problem buying them. They are not cheapest cables and I believe they are paying for the proper Apple chip
Nov 24, 2018
240 posts
48 upvotes
jiffylube1024 wrote: I'm going to be grandpa here - "don't use a $3 cable to charge a $1000 phone!"

I agree… no ways we should risk our 1k phone with this
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
3114 posts
776 upvotes
Mississauga
Gee wrote: I doubt they are MiFi, just because they print it on the packaging, doesn’t mean they are certified by Apple

The problem is the chip in the lighting connector. Apple charges 3$ USD for each chip. That’s why the cables cost so much

@jiffylube1024

I am surprised at the quality of Amazon Basics cables and I have no problem buying them. They are not cheapest cables and I believe they are paying for the proper Apple chip
You can cross-check the UPCs of these cables against Apple's own MFi Certified Public Database. They're both MFi Certified. https://mfi.apple.com/account/accessory-search

ONN - 62891741573

Scosche - 33991080065

I would suggest that you would do your research next time, before making such a bold claim. Not everybody can put a MFi badge on their packaging, otherwise Apple would probably sue them into the ground for doing so.
Jun 30, 2019
554 posts
1257 upvotes
They don't make Usb c to regular usb anymore or what
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
1932 posts
2822 upvotes
Atlantic
Spiritualx wrote: They don't make Usb c to regular usb anymore or what
Regular usb slowly dying as all the charging standards are now usb-c, lightning etc.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33976 posts
7615 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
input wrote: I would suggest that you would do your research next time, before making such a bold claim. Not everybody can put a MFi badge on their packaging, otherwise Apple would probably sue them into the ground for doing so.
I didn’t even know there was a MiFi database

Apple may sue, but it is hard to sue some fly by night company from China that will close down after 30 days and pop up the next day as another company
Jun 29, 2020
29 posts
13 upvotes
Dollarama house brand version is $4, and ONN is a probably a Walmart house brand, still have a $189 Android tablet for sale. Bought one to try because Agincourt location is still $5.
Jun 25, 2005
662 posts
322 upvotes
If you're looking for longer woven cables, I've good success with the Costco multipack that includes a charger. Similar Dollarama, Amazon and even Apple ones have died unexpectedly. The only exception to the Dollarama is when they have Belkin cables.
Last edited by monkey_bongo on Sep 3rd, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.