Expired Hot Deals

Walmart

YMMV 27.5” Men's Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike $199 (reg.$798)

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2021 2:04 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 18, 2008
638 posts
1310 upvotes

[Walmart] YMMV 27.5” Men's Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike $199 (reg.$798)

The bike got a first price cut at $598 and now some stores lowered it at $199.

Due to all the comments, please note that this is more a casual goofing bike than a professional, I'm an athlete, I daydream of being part of the Olympic on my ride and I need only the latest and best of the best at 2k to go at the convenience store

Front and Rear Disc Brakes
Number of Speeds
9
Bike Frame Size
46 cm
Bike Wheel Diameter
27.5"

VTT 27,5" Hyper Carbon X.

Cadre en fibre de carbone, dérailleur Shimano et dérailleur arrière Shimano

9-speed trigger shifter with Shimano® rear derailleur, Premium padded and adjustable saddle, Alloy wheels and three piece cranks

According to stocktrack there's one in stock at Brockville (On.), 2 at Waterloo (On.), Granby (Qc) and Saint-Jean-sur-richelieu (Qc)

Please note that Stittsville is phantom stock.
Last edited by loletifie on Oct 15th, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I lost the ability to remember things when I lost the right to a full night's sleep.
148 replies
Sr. Member
Nov 13, 2018
752 posts
1788 upvotes
https://hyperbicycles.ca/product/27-5in ... ister-mtb/

I mean, this is a pretty great deal for a bike, period. But Shimano Altus (low low end shifter) on a Carbon Frame? this is super weird.

It's a 1x which means no front derailleur, only 9 speeds. Would be fine for puttering around or commuting. Hopefully the frame isn't trash.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 1, 2020
538 posts
867 upvotes
seems like a buy now think later for those who need a bike
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2214 posts
396 upvotes
I'd take this over a costco bike for that price. Altus has come quite a long way and isn't all that bad nowadays. I'd pick one up in a heartbeat if they had one in wifey's size.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1016 posts
879 upvotes
I don't think I've ever seen a single front crank on any mountain bike recently let alone one with a carbon fiber frame. Is this normal? So strange.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
3197 posts
2661 upvotes
BC
kronos288 wrote: I don't think I've ever seen a single front crank on any mountain bike recently let alone one with a carbon fiber frame. Is this normal? So strange.
Sold by WM... Must be a WM exclusive special!
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 18, 2008
638 posts
1310 upvotes
I'm surprised by the downvote. I bought it for my 14 years old son as a regular bike and I thought it was a great deal. It is $199! I can't see where I could I've find a bike this light. The northrock at Costco were heavier and pricier ($450) and also had Shimano Altus...so I think it's a better deal than the northrock. Is the bike good for the intended use (mountain ride) maybe not, but I think it's great for just goofing around on road and vtt trail.
I lost the ability to remember things when I lost the right to a full night's sleep.
Newbie
Dec 19, 2018
95 posts
197 upvotes
Tons of bike snobs on here.
Im not surprised by the downvote Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2006
3534 posts
2161 upvotes
Toronto
loletifie wrote: I'm surprised by the downvote. I bought it for my 14 years old son as a regular bike and I thought it was a great deal. It is $199! I can't see where I could I've find a bike this light. The northrock at Costco were heavier and pricier ($450) and also had Shimano Altus...so I think it's a better deal than the northrock. Is the bike good for the intended use (mountain ride) maybe not, but I think it's great for just goofing around on road and vtt trail.
Because two voted they couldn't get the deal (because only availability is far and wide) and two voted bad product (probably because of the not having a front derailer) The fifth downvote was for it not being a good price. That person doesn't know bicycle prices at all. The disc brakes, shifter, and carbon fiber frame is what makes this price fantastic. If only I could get one. But that doesn't mean I would downvote the deal.
Jr. Member
Apr 29, 2020
150 posts
496 upvotes
Most if not all mtn bikes that are 5 years or newer are 1x11 or 1x12.

Less moving parts, same overall ratios, chain doesn't fall off as much.
Member
Jul 18, 2007
223 posts
305 upvotes
Markham
kronos288 wrote: I don't think I've ever seen a single front crank on any mountain bike recently let alone one with a carbon fiber frame. Is this normal? So strange.
you haven't been looking in the last 5 or so years then

just about everything an enthusiast would ride has a 1x option if it isnt standard....not so sure about toy bikes though
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2016
1210 posts
662 upvotes
Way back when I did my research for buying a mountain bike the consensus was that, unless it was of high quality, carbon frames were not necessarily lighter or better then aluminum ones. Considering that it was prone to crack, for my price range I went with an aluminum frame. At any rate, I think carbon frames make more sense for road bikes.
So I would go for quality rather then features, so the $200 could go towards a higher end bike.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1016 posts
879 upvotes
hewjas wrote: you haven't been looking in the last 5 or so years then

just about everything an enthusiast would ride has a 1x option if it isnt standard....not so sure about toy bikes though

So you're saying this a normal thing for a bike that is higher than a budget/beginner mountain bike? If that's the case you're right I haven't looked at bikes beyond $500 or $600. Otherwise this seems that the manufacturer had parts on a shelve in storage they decided to slap on to save money.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 26, 2003
5077 posts
496 upvotes
carbon fiber?
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1304 posts
818 upvotes
Manitoba
Fantastic deal even if you strip this down to the frame and rebuild it with higher end parts.

Also, 1x drivetrain has been around for 5 or more years. Some still prefer 2x but most have moved on to 1x for simplicity and weight reduction.
Member
Apr 15, 2008
460 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
Oos in many places. Best of luck to those hunting. YMMV.
Sr. Member
Nov 13, 2018
752 posts
1788 upvotes
Cokenrumholdtherum wrote: Most if not all mtn bikes that are 5 years or newer are 1x11 or 1x12.

Less moving parts, same overall ratios, chain doesn't fall off as much.
Yes, but not 1x9.

But, I mean, this bike isn't out there trying to compete on the trails. It's a $199 CF frame which is kind of crazy. Imagine wanting a CF frame but also being fine with walmart wheels :)
Sr. Member
Nov 13, 2018
752 posts
1788 upvotes
govas19 wrote: Way back when I did my research for buying a mountain bike the consensus was that, unless it was of high quality, carbon frames were not necessarily lighter or better then aluminum ones. Considering that it was prone to crack, for my price range I went with an aluminum frame. At any rate, I think carbon frames make more sense for road bikes.
So I would go for quality rather then features, so the $200 could go towards a higher end bike.
You realize that technology improves over time right? Carbon nowadays is incredibly strong and people ride full DH mountainbikes with carbon frames, carbon handlebars, carbon everything!
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2016
1210 posts
662 upvotes
TehRFDAnomaly wrote: Also, 1x drivetrain has been around for 5 or more years.
There's a lot to be said here. So I'll stop at if buying this bike I would take a hard look at that crankset before taking the bike on any kind of trail.
mikebmt wrote: You realize that technology improves over time right? Carbon nowadays is incredibly strong and people ride full DH mountainbikes with carbon frames, carbon handlebars, carbon everything!
On a $2000 bike they do, yes.

Top