Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] YMMV Pit Boss PB 440 and PB 700 Pellet Smoker $249 and $349 respectively - Scarborough west

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2021 3:24 pm
[OP]
Jul 4, 2006
381 posts
13 upvotes
Richmond hill

[Walmart] YMMV Pit Boss PB 440 and PB 700 Pellet Smoker $249 and $349 respectively - Scarborough west

saw them last night, they have put them all out in the seasonal section.

info from stocktrack is accurate based on what i have seen last night.
they have 6 PB 440 and 9 PB 700

stocktrack also showing there are 3 PB 440 at $299 at Scarborough North East Supercenter

cheers
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9486 posts
3777 upvotes
Is the $700 worth the $100 premium?
Dec 17, 2017
248 posts
180 upvotes
Depends, the lower model has a 5 lb hopper where the standard size is 20lb. This means you will be constantly refilling every 3 hours when cooking. It’s also smaller sq feet so cooking for probably a small family of 4. I have the 700. It is too big for me cause I’m the only one in my family that eats red meat lol. Another thing is this would be a pain when cooking say a 10 lb brisket as you would need to refill the hopper 3 times. You can also buy a hopper extension or make your own though.
Gutty96 wrote: Is the $700 worth the $100 premium?
Last edited by aphextwin on Feb 27th, 2021 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 22, 2015
477 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have the 440 and it's great, I would go for the 700 over it though if I was to buy it again.
Especially if you can get it at this price.
Just having the larger hopper will give you less anxiety if you are smoking a brisket overnight
and worried about running out of pellets.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2006
381 posts
13 upvotes
Richmond hill
newcan wrote: I have the 440 and it's great, I would go for the 700 over it though if I was to buy it again.
Just having the larger hopper will give you less anxiety if you are smoking a brisket overnight
what's the "burn" rate on pellets on your 440?
[OP]
Jul 4, 2006
381 posts
13 upvotes
Richmond hill
Evendesiredusernameistaken wrote: I really hope Pit Boss manages to manufacture enough Lockhart models to start selling them here in Canada....
lockhart is in a different league....
too bad it's not available here....
Jun 9, 2009
792 posts
141 upvotes
Hamilton
Ate homemade smoked meat for the first time recently and loved it. Buddy has a Traeger or something.

Obviously this isn’t on the same level but how much worse is it?

Further, anything other than Traeger that is good? I want to get a good one but haven’t seen Traegers on sale.
Oct 29, 2005
772 posts
46 upvotes
The Pit Boss grills are better than the cheaper priced Traegers. Go check them out and you will see.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2389 posts
1084 upvotes
peji911 wrote: Ate homemade smoked meat for the first time recently and loved it. Buddy has a Traeger or something.

Further, anything other than Traeger that is good? I want to get a good one but haven’t seen Traegers on sale.
Traeger is just a name. Same with big green egg. Other competitors have improved the designs so much. Not saying those are bad, but you're paying for the name.
Jan 15, 2017
213 posts
168 upvotes
I have a 700 I got from TSC. There are two problems with it. First, the heat deflector rusted apart within about 4 months. The rest of the grill is fine but whatever metal they use for the heat deflector just disintegrates. It is the bottom that breaks apart due to the fire hitting it, not the top due to grease and we generally put down foil if we are doing something really greasy. Then the customer service SUCKS. It took 2 months to get one half of the deflector and then another 2 months to get the other half. When I got the first halves I told them it wasn't right because there were no holes in the lower deflector for the nubs on the upper to rest in. They said when I get the new upper it will be fine. Well the new upper came today and unsurprisingly it isn't fine. I had to use a drill and a grinder to make holes in the bottom plate so that the top plate could fit on it. I assume it was a manufacturing issue with the lower plate that they didn't detect because without those holes it just won't work. Now I can wait another two months for another one I assume. I figure the entire problem arises from the sear zone it would really be better if the deflector was just a single piece design like every other manufacturer.
Last edited by tomadams on Feb 26th, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 30, 2016
409 posts
456 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
aphextwin wrote: Depends, the lower model has a 5 lb hopper where the standard size is 20lb. This means you will be constantly refilllinf every hour when cooking. It’s also smaller sq feet so cooking for probably a small family of 4. I have the 700. It is too big for me cause I’m the only one in my family that eats red meat lol.
I think my LG900 uses 2.2 lbs of pellets an hour. I highly doubt the 440 is using that much. I would expect about 1.2 -1.4 lbs an hour so maybe 3.5 hours of use with a full hopper.
May 30, 2016
409 posts
456 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
peji911 wrote: Ate homemade smoked meat for the first time recently and loved it. Buddy has a Traeger or something.

For my money and at this price I would get the Pit Boss and splurge on getting premium pellets instead of trying to get a premium pellet smoker.
Jun 9, 2009
792 posts
141 upvotes
Hamilton
tim-x wrote: Traeger is just a name. Same with big green egg. Other competitors have improved the designs so much. Not saying those are bad, but you're paying for the name.
What do you suggest I research? Any specific companies?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2389 posts
1084 upvotes
peji911 wrote: What do you suggest I research? Any specific companies?
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert.

For me it comes down to value. Will a brisket smoked on a $2000 traeger taste better than a $300 Pit Boss? No. Will the traeger have better ease of use features? Likely. Will it last longer? Probably but not guaranteed. You have to decide what features are worth it to you.

Me personally, I would pick up a $350 PB 700 in a heartbeat. You just can't beat that price. I just won't be able to find one.
Dec 17, 2017
248 posts
180 upvotes
You can buy a hopper extension off their site or have you attempted to make your own extension?
newcan wrote: I have the 440 and it's great, I would go for the 700 over it though if I was to buy it again.