Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

YMMV Seagate Expansion 3TB - $39 clearance?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2020 7:21 pm
Nov 14, 2007
418 posts
189 upvotes

[Walmart] YMMV Seagate Expansion 3TB - $39 clearance?

was shopping for lenovo display but found this in store: Seagate 3TB expansion $39

online says $119, seems pretty hot at $39!? extremely YMMV i presume? good luck hunting everyone, hopefully a receipt would help.

willing to trade for lenovo smart display if u r in markham =)
Images
  • inv.jpg
92 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1801 posts
1266 upvotes
Pretty sure these are the drives that torpedoed seagates reputation, right? I wouldnt touch ANY 3tb 3.5" drives from seagate.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
2313 posts
3013 upvotes
no no no no nooo.

stay away from early seagate 3TB drives.

they are two 2TB platters and one of them is partially disabled by firmware due to imperfections. Fact is, imperfections turn to defects and spread.
-------------------
Rogers mobile + internet
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3733 posts
2064 upvotes
Scott86 wrote: Pretty sure these are the drives that torpedoed seagates reputation, right? I wouldnt touch ANY 3tb 3.5" drives from seagate.
Yep. These are the ones that are the reason every single hard drive thread turns into a sheet show of uneducated WD fanboys flinging disinformation at prospective buyers and innocent passers by. Everyone should stay clear of THESE drives but since then, Seagate has been making generally good drives.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
2462 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
Scott86 wrote: Pretty sure these are the drives that torpedoed seagates reputation, right? I wouldnt touch ANY 3tb 3.5" drives from seagate.
Garbage mine died right after the warranty
I love deals
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1534 posts
2211 upvotes
Montreal
Decent amount of stock around Montreal:
https://stocktrack.ca/?s=wm&upc=76364906493

Wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole, though. I learned the hard way that these drives are failure prone with one that failed shortly after the warranty.
Sep 25, 2011
140 posts
114 upvotes
GammaRayFort wrote: no no no no nooo.

stay away from early seagate 3TB drives.

they are two 2TB platters and one of them is partially disabled by firmware due to imperfections. Fact is, imperfections turn to defects and spread.

i have 4tb one that i bought years ago.
are 4tb ones ok?
Jan 12, 2007
452 posts
126 upvotes
I have a Seagate 3tb with 60000+ hours on it in my media box. I guess I got lucky.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
2313 posts
3013 upvotes
dlxowhd wrote: i have 4tb one that i bought years ago.
are 4tb ones ok?
yes. 4tbs have highest ratings.
-------------------
Rogers mobile + internet
Oct 2, 2009
490 posts
180 upvotes
Shit I bought one of these today for my ps4... Just copied a bunch of games over....

Should I return it?

I went there for the 4 tb wd external for 49 but it was phantom stock.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Technically a 3TB 3.5" did, but that was NINE YEARS AGO.
txenglan wrote:
Yep. These are the ones that are the reason every single hard drive thread turns into a sheet show of uneducated WD fanboys flinging disinformation at prospective buyers and innocent passers by. Everyone should stay clear of THESE drives but since then, Seagate has been making generally good drives.
I'd be 95% surprised if they were from the flood batch. I don't think they'd just sit on inventory for 9 years just to fleece some customers years later. The warehousing costs would probably cost more than they'd make off the drive.
dlxowhd wrote: are 4tb ones ok?
That's the funny part about all of this.
The 3TB (at the time) were disasters. 40% failure rates were normal.
Then the 4TB came out and they were literally the best in class with like 3% failure rates. Everyone else was higher.
But a single instance damn near a decade ago caused every armchair hard drive expert with one failed drive thinking Seagate sucks nuggets.
Most of my fleet is Seagate. Most of Backblazes fleet is Seagate. Yet Seagate sucks for some reason.

EDIT: Literally isn't literal. But going from 50% to 3% is pretty damn good IMO.
HGST is best (but we're fighting against an Enterprise drive) and WD (which is only basically 0.5% better).
For my money, I took Seagate because I literally bet my (server) farm on DM000s.
Last edited by death_hawk on Jul 28th, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Feb 6, 2019
833 posts
2912 upvotes
Niagara Region
Great deal! I have used Seagate storage for years and never had an issue. Regardless of brand favourites, always have redundant drives in your setup as any drive can fail, at any time, and for a myriad of reasons.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1853 posts
5628 upvotes
gsr519 wrote: Shit I bought one of these today for my ps4... Just copied a bunch of games over....

Should I return it?

I went there for the 4 tb wd external for 49 but it was phantom stock.
Clearance items= final sale
Open items = final sale.

Gotta love Walmarts updated store policies due to COVID!
Images
  • 20200722_165341.jpg
Last edited by oj777 on Jul 28th, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 2, 2009
490 posts
180 upvotes
oj777 wrote: Clearance items= final sale
Open items = final sale.

Gotta love Walmarts Covid policies!
Is the hard drive considered clearance?
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1853 posts
5628 upvotes
gsr519 wrote: Is the hard drive considered clearance?
For the stores that are selling it for $39, it'll most likely be considered "in store clearance".
Oct 2, 2009
490 posts
180 upvotes
oj777 wrote: Clearance items= final sale
Open items = final sale.

Gotta love Walmarts updated store policies due to COVID!
OH wtf, any opened product can't be returned?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
4218 posts
938 upvotes
Toronto
i had one that died ....good for backup. dont use as your main drive
Aug 23, 2019
668 posts
519 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Technically a 3TB 3.5" did, but that was NINE YEARS AGO.

I'd be 95% surprised if they were from the flood batch. I don't think they'd just sit on inventory for 9 years just to fleece some customers years later. The warehousing costs would probably cost more than they'd make off the drive.

That's the funny part about all of this.
The 3TB (at the time) were disasters. 40% failure rates were normal.
Then the 4TB came out and they were literally the best in class with like 3% failure rates. Everyone else was higher.
But a single instance damn near a decade ago caused every armchair hard drive expert with one failed drive thinking Seagate sucks nuggets.
Most of my fleet is Seagate. Most of Backblazes fleet is Seagate. Yet Seagate sucks for some reason.
Seagate 4TB were not "the best" def not better than HGST or Toshiba.

But for 3TB if someone got it they'd have to check the actual serial if it ends with M001 or anything close to that i wouldnt throw anything important on it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST3000DM001

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)