Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

[YMMV] WD 6TB My Book Desktop USB 3.0 External Hard Drive 99.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2021 12:50 pm
Jun 30, 2021
9 posts
23 upvotes

[Walmart] [YMMV] WD 6TB My Book Desktop USB 3.0 External Hard Drive 99.99

Built an account just for this because I thought it was a hot ymmv. I happened to find this deal on stock track and saw they were still in stock at my local store. I've been waiting on an 8 TB for my PlayStation but I couldn't ignore $17 a TB and bought two.

https://stocktrack.ca/?s=wm&upc=71803785095

If anyone can let me know how these would do for a NAS or PlayStation drive please let me know.
30 replies
Oct 31, 2010
587 posts
1308 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks for sharing. Indeed, a good price, but it seems these are SMR as per reddit.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6110 posts
4783 upvotes
WillyStyling wrote: Built an account just for this because I thought it was a hot ymmv. I happened to find this deal on stock track and saw they were still in stock at my local store. I've been waiting on an 8 TB for my PlayStation but I couldn't ignore $17 a TB and bought two.

https://stocktrack.ca/?s=wm&upc=71803785095

If anyone can let me know how these would do for a NAS or PlayStation drive please let me know.
Stock track is showing $159.98 in most stores if not all.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
8679 posts
10295 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Sejad wrote: Stock track is showing $159.98 in most stores if not all.
Where they're still in stock, yeah. But I can see the Walmarts that cleared them out for $99 started clearing them out in mid-April.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
8679 posts
10295 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Also OP I can't answer this one specifically, but I use a 6 TB WD Elements with my PS4 Pro and I've had zero issues with it.
Jun 30, 2021
9 posts
23 upvotes
chemicalxv wrote: Also OP I can't answer this one specifically, but I use a 6 TB WD Elements with my PS4 Pro and I've had zero issues with it.
I appreciate this feedback. From what I understand our drive internals are probably different. It's too bad that this is likely an SMR drive. I'm torn on whether or not I'll take them back now. I wanted to use them for a PLEX server and additional game storage.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
4713 posts
6306 upvotes
Prince George
WillyStyling wrote: I appreciate this feedback. From what I understand our drive internals are probably different. It's too bad that this is likely an SMR drive. I'm torn on whether or not I'll take them back now. I wanted to use them for a PLEX server and additional game storage.
Wouldn't SMR be just fine for those uses? You're not rewriting data constantly.
Apr 17, 2013
10 posts
3 upvotes
Burlington
I managed to get 2 of them for 99.99, they were sealed units. Brought them home and tested them out and both were defective. I popped open the case and there were 250GB or 500GB drives in them. Someone's definitely running a scam on these drives. Walmart returned them, but the Electronics department would not let me test the last drive out in the store to make sure it was the real deal, so I left it.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
4169 posts
6806 upvotes
Langley, BC
c00per17 wrote: I managed to get 2 of them for 99.99, they were sealed units. Brought them home and tested them out and both were defective. I popped open the case and there were 250GB or 500GB drives in them. Someone's definitely running a scam on these drives. Walmart returned them, but the Electronics department would not let me test the last drive out in the store to make sure it was the real deal, so I left it.
It seems that person.... is you.
Apr 17, 2013
10 posts
3 upvotes
Burlington
LOOL. Why would I run a scam and then post it online?

This is a huge YMMV, just posting what I went through.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3909 posts
2338 upvotes
Ottawa
c00per17 wrote: I managed to get 2 of them for 99.99, they were sealed units. Brought them home and tested them out and both were defective. I popped open the case and there were 250GB or 500GB drives in them. Someone's definitely running a scam on these drives. Walmart returned them, but the Electronics department would not let me test the last drive out in the store to make sure it was the real deal, so I left it.
Just an FYI - you can use CrystalDiskInfo to see the drive model inside... that way you don't need to shuck the enclosure
Apr 17, 2013
10 posts
3 upvotes
Burlington
The disk never showed up in Disk Management. My PC detected the MyBook enclosure, but the disk was not recognized. I knew something was up when I plugged in the drive and it made no noise at all. The disks that were in these units were from 2011. Not saying everyone's going to have a problem, this is what I experienced when buying these from the North Burlington Walmart.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
3345 posts
1680 upvotes
Lethbridge
I picked one of these up months ago when this first got posted:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/walmart-wd-6tb-my-book-desktop-usb-3-0-external-hard-drive-99-99-ymmv-2458464/#p34368541

I'm surprised there's any left...

Reports here & on Reddit are all SMR drives in either the green or orange box. Very very small chance at getting an old production run with a Red inside.
May 30, 2021
88 posts
120 upvotes
Online price $198.78 while some stores have for $159.98.
$27 per TB is not a good price imo.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
deryowski wrote: Online price $198.78 while some stores have for $159.98.
$27 per TB is not a good price imo.
dyalect wrote: $198.78
Sold online by iSanek
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
SMR works great. The fear mongering is a little nuts on this forum. I have 2 8TBs and 2 6TBs in RAID Mirror config and they work great in my NAS
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
2670 posts
2789 upvotes
Montreal, QC
no luck, it shows $160 in my local walmart store
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1473 posts
2778 upvotes
Ontario
c00per17 wrote: The disk never showed up in Disk Management. My PC detected the MyBook enclosure, but the disk was not recognized. I knew something was up when I plugged in the drive and it made no noise at all. The disks that were in these units were from 2011. Not saying everyone's going to have a problem, this is what I experienced when buying these from the North Burlington Walmart.
You sure you didn't get ones that someone had shucked already and replaced with other drives? I find drives from 2011 inside to be pretty unusual, and we know Walmart has a pretty lenient return policy which has made it a particular target for this type of return abuse over the years. Pretty sure I've even seen it on reddit where people were re-plastic wrapping the boxes after shucking to return "unopened" too.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
Showing $99 and 3 in stock at my local walmart... now I just need a reason to buy one.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)