[Walmart] Zojirushi Rice Cooker Neuro Fuzzy 10 cups, White

once again, act fast!
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3966 posts
5509 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
ok, someone school me. Why is this $140 thing better than using a pot?
I get (what I consider) reasonable rice using a pot. How is this rice cooker going to significantly improve my life?
Nov 22, 2018
15 posts
62 upvotes
raskal wrote: ok, someone school me. Why is this $140 thing better than using a pot?
I get (what I consider) reasonable rice using a pot. How is this rice cooker going to significantly improve my life?
Significantly improve your life? It won’t. Your rice game? It will
Nov 3, 2010
839 posts
757 upvotes
raskal wrote: ok, someone school me. Why is this $140 thing better than using a pot?
Really good rice every time. Like even if you screw up the water measurements miserably it'll somehow still make good rice. Really good texture. You can also adjust firmness, soft / hard.

A really useful feature for some is that you can put in the rice + water ahead of time, and set a timer and it'll have your rice cooked by that time. For example, set it to 5 PM in the morning and when you get home from work the rice will be cooked and kept warm.

Disadvantage is that it's pretty slow to cook. Like 40-50 mins.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1680 posts
1549 upvotes
I got a black & decker rice cooker for $16.95 , cooks right just fine ? :)
Sep 21, 2019
321 posts
222 upvotes
I got the 10, it's a little big. Hoping 5.5 will be on sale before my return window closes.
Mar 22, 2019
123 posts
123 upvotes
I could never understand the rice game. I have tasted rice from this rice cooker and also a $30 one. The rice tastes same to me everytime.
Dec 14, 2012
423 posts
462 upvotes
Ottawa
M9L1A3 wrote: I could never understand the rice game. I have tasted rice from this rice cooker and also a $30 one. The rice tastes same to me everytime.
I think it is for the people who love food of northeast Asia style (North China,Japanese,Korean). Just try the cookers with really good round rice for a family size meal, the difference would be significant.
Mar 22, 2019
123 posts
123 upvotes
Overstep wrote: I think it is for the people who love food of northeast Asia style (North China,Japanese,Korean). Just try the cookers with really good round rice for a family size meal, the difference would be significant.
True for the first part. But I am just referencing it for the additional benefit of getting this after paying 3-4 times than a normal pot. I still could not distinguish a rice cooked in an expensive or an inexpensive one. The only thing I hear about the pot is that it is perfect and Japanese. Maybe its like a Toyota thing except for the price :)
Mar 20, 2012
614 posts
488 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
I'd like to get a rice cooker made in Japan, but the 3-cup one is made in China.
Would this be too big for cook 1 cup of rice most of the time?
Nov 1, 2015
559 posts
246 upvotes
BC
rhinos wrote: I'd like to get a rice cooker made in Japan, but the 3-cup one is made in China.
Defintely way too big for your needs. This can cook 10 cups. You would only be using 10% of the capacity and it would take up more kitchen/storage space. Im waiting for the 5 cup one to go on sale. I only cook 2 cups max. Possibly 3 for big occasion but doubt it.

Anyways the deal is dead
Dec 14, 2012
423 posts
462 upvotes
Ottawa
rhinos wrote: I'd like to get a rice cooker made in Japan, but the 3-cup one is made in China.
Even a 5.5 cup rice cooker is way too big for 1 cup cooking. I would concern more about the size than where it is manufacturered. Maybe you can have a look at tiger branded rice cooker. It is cheaper and more models from it are made in Japan. Like, https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ti ... k/10748255
Jan 20, 2018
130 posts
176 upvotes
There's a few benefits to a good rice cooker.

The biggest is consistency. You'll have rice cooked perfectly every single time. From top to bottom. None of that crispy rice stuck together at the bottom you usually get with other rice cookers.

If you want you can cook brown rice and GABA rice very easily and improve the nutritional value of your rice. With GABA rice it holds it at a temperature to activate it more.

I hate having pots used up for rice while cooking.

The texture is better You cannot cook rice this way using a pot or cheaper rice cooker since it adjusts the temperature very accurately during the cook time.

You can cook steel cut oats in it. Usually I'll set a timer toss the oats water and a bit of milk in there and it'll be ready in the morning.

I used to have one of those 20-30$ rice cooker throughout University. And it was ok but not nearly as consistent as this one.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3240 posts
3036 upvotes
Is this a serious question?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2005
4674 posts
140 upvotes
Markham/GTA
Does this include an inner tray like the Tiger JBV-S18U? If not, where can I purchase?
Tangerine, FreedomMobile, GreatCanadianRebates, Rakuten, Coinbase, Shakepay, Stack
Sep 14, 2012
781 posts
898 upvotes
Toronto
My rice cooker is Zojirushi with induction heat. Cost a lost more than $140 and easily worth what I paid.

Perfect cooking every time, not just regular rice but Gaba rice, brown rice, porridge, sushi rice, etc. Never burns, ever. You can leave the rice in it all day and will be perfect.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3402 posts
1456 upvotes
Vancouver
Can someone answer this question please -- is the porridge setting referring to oatmeal or congee? Can congee be made in this easily? TIA
Jul 24, 2014
142 posts
1 upvote
Ajax, ON
Just realized I have the same rice cooker at home, has been quite reliable for many years and hopefully many more to come.
It does also come with a quick cooking mode if you need the rice urgently.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3966 posts
5509 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
Ambushes wrote: Really good rice every time. Like even if you screw up the water measurements miserably it'll somehow still make good rice. Really good texture. You can also adjust firmness, soft / hard.

A really useful feature for some is that you can put in the rice + water ahead of time, and set a timer and it'll have your rice cooked by that time. For example, set it to 5 PM in the morning and when you get home from work the rice will be cooked and kept warm.

Disadvantage is that it's pretty slow to cook. Like 40-50 mins.
Thanks a lot for the useful, thoughtful response