[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3752 posts
2333 upvotes
Toronto

Walmart's "Book a store visit"

https://www.walmart.ca/en/book-store-visit

Never knew this was a thing. I've visited Walmart maybe 4 or 5 times during the past year. Yesterday was my first time shoping there since the end of summer.
Lineup was fairly short (compared to what I've seen driving by over these past months) when I arrived, maybe 20-25 people ahead of me. A few people go in and suddenly the line halts for an extended period of time...there was fiasco/shouting match/outrage at the doors as the "general lineup" was being held as other;people were seemingly walking in "through the gates" and let in the store by showing their "appointment code" from their Walmart app on those smartphones.
It was "older" people (but not necessarily seniors) angry that the "young people" can just walk right in "just because they have their fancy phones"...I totally get their frustration and immediately empathized. I will admit though, had I known about booking on the app before I left home, I probably would have booked a slot myself not giving too much thought to equity issues and the "unfairness" to those who have barriers to using devices/apps.
Thoughts??
23 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
4389 posts
2584 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Walmart Fast Pass ™
😱
Nov 22, 2018
83 posts
87 upvotes
Brampton, On
Just go after 8pm or so, I walk right in every time. I swear there are more employees in the store than customers then. At least in Peel region. 3 different one's I've been to recently, all the same experience,
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18664 posts
6716 upvotes
Toronto
Great feature. Always a line up at my location.
Jul 20, 2017
143 posts
102 upvotes
The ones in Burlington and Oakville never seem to have a line. Mississauga yes.

If you go after 8 or 9, you will be pleasantly surprised to see how empty it is. If you care about your own safety, I would go at 9.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4794 posts
699 upvotes
Burlington
In Burlington I've never seen a lineup, Saturdays included. Happened to be in Scarborough a week ago and had to stop by Walmart which had a massive line and it wasn't moving at all.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15528 posts
12739 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Since Covid, stores have got very creative
Be it online shopping, curbside pick up, or booking an Instore visit by timeslot
We’ve used them all ... at various Retailers and really really like it

Instore private shopping timeslots were very popular in the lead up to Christmas
When most of Ontario was Zoned as Orange or Red
(followed by a Lockdown that’s just coming to an end now )

I don’t think a lot of peeps knew of many of the stores that offered this option
Unless they had the stores App ... subscribed to Newsletters
Or belonged to a Loyalty Program

Chapters / Indigo Kingston was one such store
Jan 26, 2017
953 posts
1036 upvotes
Fightguard wrote: https://www.walmart.ca/en/book-store-visit

Never knew this was a thing. I've visited Walmart maybe 4 or 5 times during the past year. Yesterday was my first time shoping there since the end of summer.
Lineup was fairly short (compared to what I've seen driving by over these past months) when I arrived, maybe 20-25 people ahead of me. A few people go in and suddenly the line halts for an extended period of time...there was fiasco/shouting match/outrage at the doors as the "general lineup" was being held as other;people were seemingly walking in "through the gates" and let in the store by showing their "appointment code" from their Walmart app on those smartphones.
It was "older" people (but not necessarily seniors) angry that the "young people" can just walk right in "just because they have their fancy phones"...I totally get their frustration and immediately empathized. I will admit though, had I known about booking on the app before I left home, I probably would have booked a slot myself not giving too much thought to equity issues and the "unfairness" to those who have barriers to using devices/apps.
Thoughts??
So how does it work when store is at capacity?
Example:
1:00 pm - store is at filled at capacity and no one leaves store till 2:00 pm
1:00 pm - I’m first person in the “general lineup” outside waiting for someone to leave. Person B, C, D are behind me in “general lineup”
1:15 pm - Person X arrives for his 1:15 online booking but has to wait in a second “Online booking lineup”
1:30 pm - Person Y arrives for his 1:30 online booking but has to wait in the “Online booking lineup”
2:00 pm - Person Z arrives late at 2:00 for his 1:50 online booking but has to wait in a the “Online booking lineup”

2:00 pm - 3 people leaves the store, 3 are allowed in.

So who are the 3 allowed in at 2:00 pm?
——>Me, person B, person C, person X, person Y or person Z??
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5489 posts
2295 upvotes
Toronto
Bebo123 wrote: So how does it work when store is at capacity?
Example:
1:00 pm - store is at filled at capacity and no one leaves store till 2:00 pm
1:00 pm - I’m first person in the “general lineup” outside waiting for someone to leave. Person B, C, D are behind me in “general lineup”
1:15 pm - Person X arrives for his 1:15 online booking but has to wait in a second “Online booking lineup”
1:30 pm - Person Y arrives for his 1:30 online booking but has to wait in the “Online booking lineup”
2:00 pm - Person Z arrives late at 2:00 for his 1:50 online booking but has to wait in a the “Online booking lineup”

2:00 pm - 3 people leaves the store, 3 are allowed in.

So who are the 3 allowed in at 2:00 pm?
——>Me, person B, person C, person X, person Y or person Z??
From my experience (not a Walmart insider), X, Y and Z. The reserved lineup always gets priority over the general lineup as long as they are at or past their reserved time when space opens up inside.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15528 posts
12739 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Manatus wrote: From my experience (not a Walmart insider), X, Y and Z. The reserved lineup always gets priority over the general lineup as long as they are at or past their reserved time when space opens up inside.
Definitely how it works @ the LCBO

Orders placed online for pick up (ie PRE-PAID *) get to go into the store when space becomes available inside ... even if the folks in line have been there a long time waiting

Saw this first hand at Christmas ... when there were long lines of folks waiting to get inside the store (inside @ 25% capacity )

* As it should be ... guy on the sidewalk hasn’t handed over any money yet ... or done anything to clearly show he’s there to actually buy.
Someone who is picking up a PAID ORDER or gone to the trouble to book a timeslot, definitely is a motivated customer ready to purchase goods
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1498 posts
1240 upvotes
Winnipeg
Manitoba Liquor Mart has a great pickup system. Order, pay & choose your pickup slot online. The slots are very convenient 2-hour windows. When you arrive to pick up, you drive around back, park in a designated spot and phone. They bring your product out the back door and load it into your vehicle. No conflict between walk-in and online customers, all of whom are equally important.
Jan 26, 2017
953 posts
1036 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Definitely how it works @ the LCBO

Orders placed online for pick up (ie PRE-PAID *) get to go into the store when space becomes available inside ... even if the folks in line have been there a long time waiting

Saw this first hand at Christmas ... when there were long lines of folks waiting to get inside the store (inside @ 25% capacity )

* As it should be ... guy on the sidewalk hasn’t handed over any money yet ... or done anything to clearly show he’s there to actually buy.
Someone who is picking up a PAID ORDER or gone to the trouble to book a timeslot, definitely is a motivated customer ready to purchase goods
I think you’re reply is not applicable to OP.
You are talking about online reservations for PICKUP/PAID ORDERS. Unless,I’m mistaken, OP amd Walmart online booking reservations is just to GET IN and shop inside the store.
No doubt, if someone booked online to pickup a paid order they should get priority.
So who gets priority to just get inside, in my example?
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
4389 posts
2584 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Bebo123 wrote: I think you’re reply is not applicable to OP.
You are talking about online reservations for PICKUP/PAID ORDERS. Unless,I’m mistaken, OP amd Walmart online booking reservations is just to GET IN and shop inside the store.
No doubt, if someone booked online to pickup a paid order they should get priority.
So who gets priority to just get inside, in my example?
The Walmart Fast Pass ™ people get priority, just like as Disney World. Although at least at Disney they merge the lines near the front.
😱
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4150 posts
791 upvotes
Richmond
Maybe the annoyed older people should get a smartphone too instead of getting mad at younger people who use apps.

And stop being technophobes
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3409 posts
648 upvotes
Several months ago I was finally the next person to be let into Loblaws. However, a much younger man arrived and went in ahead of me. The person in charge of letting people in told me that the man had an Instacart card and people carrying such cards would always go first. There are other categories of people who are let in ahead of people waiting in line as well. I didn't ask why the person went ahead of me, the information was volunteered.

I think the store clerk felt sorry for me. The line-up was long. It is strange how when you arrive there can be no one in line but by the time you park and get yourself to where the line starts it can suddenly be very long. People coming from all different directions in the parking lot no doubt.

We have a new procedure - we just don't wait in a long line. There are exceptions of course but that is the general rule these days.
Nov 22, 2018
83 posts
87 upvotes
Brampton, On
bluebellrose wrote: Maybe the annoyed older people should get a smartphone too instead of getting mad at younger people who use apps.

I'm an IT professional, working remotely for years. I have just about every internet connected device you could have X2 and web connected all day long. I do have a smart phone but I refuse to get data on it.

It's not about being a technophobe, far from it.

Once I leave the house, the only time I would ever want to pull out the cell phone is if it rings.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
4389 posts
2584 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
HWDAN55 wrote: I'm an IT professional, working remotely for years. I have just about every internet connected device you could have X2 and web connected all day long. I do have a smart phone but I refuse to get data on it.

It's not about being a technophobe, far from it.

Once I leave the house, the only time I would ever want to pull out the cell phone is if it rings.
Walmart has free WiFi
😱
Nov 22, 2018
83 posts
87 upvotes
Brampton, On
b0ne wrote: Walmart has free WiFi
That's the whole point, I have no need or desire to have to be 'connected' once I leave the house.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6915 posts
1617 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote:
We have a new procedure - we just don't wait in a long line. There are exceptions of course but that is the general rule these days.
We refuse to wait in any lines. It involves only shopping at off hours especially for Costco, and occasionally using curb side pickup. Sometimes shopping at a different location, if there is a line at the close WalMart we drive on to the farther location.

Has been working so far, hope it gets easier when we switch to orange restrictions (whatever that means LOL) and Stay At Home order is lifted. Orange seems to mean non-essential businesses can reopen with restricted hours and capacity. I think? I've read the directives over a few times and still not sure.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28402 posts
8854 upvotes
bluebellrose wrote: Maybe the annoyed older people should get a smartphone too instead of getting mad at younger people who use apps.

Oh no they have them, who do you think is blowing up facebook in this day and age? It's definitely not kids.

Anyway I haven't seen any of this skip the line business at all TBH. I made the mistake of going to a Walmart to get a McDonald's order a couple weeks back right after work...which is when the lines are there. Thankfully the line moved super fast so was only outside a couple minutes.

It makes sense that people with pickup orders would skip the line though--totally get that. But an online "skip the line" pass? A bit odd for retail stores in a place as sparse as Canada :lol: The thing about these things is, it's only a matter of time before people catch on and then everyone is using it anyway and then they're all in a line (or a second line). Just like self-checkouts. Remember the days when they were new things? I would basically skip the lines all the time by using them; nowadays lots of people use them. Mind you, you can still get shorter lines (or no line) a lot of the time by using them but when it's busy, the self-checkout is gonna be just as jammed as any other cashier.