• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2018 10:39 pm
[OP]
Sep 25, 2014
38 posts
26 upvotes
Macdonald, MB

Walt Disney World

We are planning a trip to Walt Disney World in October. Can some one suggest a place to stay , 3 adults and 2 kids .Would like pool,not sure if we are going to rent a house stay at a resort off site...we don't want to stay on site. Also if anybody has experience with the fast pass.( does fast pass come with the tickets or do you have pay extra for it?).Would really appreciate how it works and what were your wait times were. Also is there anything in Orlando that would be fun to see or do....Thanks
68 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2540 posts
373 upvotes
Whitby
Too bad you don't want to stay on site - it adds to the experience.
We either stay on site or rent a house so can't recommend a place to stay but the fast pass is included in price - we stay in Windsor Hills. Close to the parks, pool and hot tubs.
You can reserve 3 per day online and as you use them you can get more.
If you plan to go to Animal Kingdom for the Avatar Flight of Passage (which I highly recommend) book that first as the wait times for that are ridiculous.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8533 posts
4762 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
I'm also going in October with my family. Before choosing which day and park you visit, definitely check out the Disney theme park website and look at the daily schedule, they post 6mths ahead of time, but make edits as it gets closer to the actual date. The parks have special events from time to time which effect the hours of operation. MK has Halloween in October and the park will close to the public at 6pm instead of 9pm on those days, unless you pay for the extra event. The schedule will also tell you if any rides and attractions are closed, and what major shows and parades are happening.

As mentioned above, Fast Pass is included and need to be reserved beforehand.

As for a place to stay, it depends on your length of stay. The longer you stay (7+ days), you'll probably want to rent a home as it's cheaper. I'm only in town for 5 days, so I'm staying at a local hotel.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4012 posts
772 upvotes
Aurora
Golfclubs67 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2018 11:20 am
We are planning a trip to Walt Disney World in October. Can some one suggest a place to stay , 3 adults and 2 kids .Would like pool,not sure if we are going to rent a house stay at a resort off site...we don't want to stay on site. Also if anybody has experience with the fast pass.( does fast pass come with the tickets or do you have pay extra for it?).Would really appreciate how it works and what were your wait times were. Also is there anything in Orlando that would be fun to see or do....Thanks
We were just in Orlando and visited Magic Kingdom. Stayed in a 2 bdrm unit at the Sheraton Vistana Resort on Lake Buena Vista Dr., we had a terrific time there. Lots of pools, both happening and quiet. They were totally relaxed about bringing your own food/drink/booze to the pool areas. Very well kept grounds and units (very contemporary decor) and about 15 min from the front gate at Magic Kingdom. We paid under $190 US/night for a 2 bdrm/2 bth full out condo unit.

Fast pass is great if you use it wisely (it is included). People staying off site can book their rides 30 in advance, on site guests get to book 60 days in advance. I suggest set a calendar notification for 30 days out. Do some research about the best rides at the park you're visiting and choose 3. Don't worry if you don't get the top 3 rides to start. In fact, booking the first one on a ride you don't care about and cancelling it first thing (important to go first thing as the lines are waaaay shorter) allows you to line up at the rides with the shortest lines to start, check the ride availability with fastpass while cruising around. Once you book 3 and go to your first one though, you can't book anymore till all 3 are used, so book wisely (don't book 2 in the morning and 1 in the late afternoon, for example), book all 3 close together (you have an hour window to get to the ride). We did a 2 day park ticket and by the second day I had mastered booking rides for us throughout the day, we got on every worthwhile ride using fastpass, a few 2 times on the same day.

Another thing, use the mobile ordering feature if you're buying any food there, even an ice cream. You completely bypass the sometimes ridiculous lines for food cause very few people use it.
Wild Willies Airboat ride was the highlight of our trip (our kids 8,6,5 even agreed). Gatorland was pretty cool. Kennedy Space Centre is definitely worth a visit. Disney Springs (free to visit and park, lots of cool shops and good restaurants), Seaworld, Busch Gardens, Orlando Premium Outlets (if you're shoppers). There are actually a lot of things to see and do in the Orlando area so you won't be bored, that's for sure.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4711 posts
830 upvotes
Ottawa
I do agree that staying onsite adds to the experience but you have to pay a considerable premium for it so it's up to each to decide if it's worth it.

If you are staying offsite, I would recommend booking through AirBnb. Especially in the fall (off season), I'd be surprised if you can't find a house with a private plus community pool for $100-150/CND per night or less nearby. There are closer and farther communities but really, between a close one and a far one, it might take an extra 10-15 minutes drive so it's not a huge issue but if you are concerned about location, I thought Windsor Hills was nice and very conveniently located but it typically rents for a premium and as I said, it's probably not a huge issue to be a bit farther and that gives you a lot of other choices.

As far as FPs, they are good but somewhat useless too; if you are not staying onsite, I believe your window for selection is significantly less than the selection window for someone staying onsite so chances are, by the time you can make a selection, FPs for the popular rides will already all have been allocated so you'll end up with FPs for rides that probably don't have much of a lineup anyway. Also they kind of "group" the FP selection so you can make one on a popular ride and then two on not so popular rides. Finally, I find that using the FPs kind of ruins some of the enjoyment of the day because you are always trying to plan around the FP times which can be very inconvenient (e.g. you have a FP in 30 minutes but are currently on the other side of the park and it will take you 30 minutes just to get to the attraction ...)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8533 posts
4762 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
The FP is valid for 1hr though, but yes, does still require planning your day around it.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5612 posts
2209 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Many area resorts are timeshares that also rent out nightly like hotels. The plus for this is you can rent other people's timeshare weeks for a lot cheaper than the rack rate to the resort directly.
There's sites where people rent their weeks: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?for ... ffered.45/ (This link is <$100/night but also <30 days out so doesn't allow as much preplanning)
or weeks rented out on eBay: https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... l&_sacat=0

I know what you're thinking, "timeshares are bad, though?" Don't get suckered into a sales pitch while you're there, but they're perfectly nice places to stay at in the Orlando area without paying exorbitant Disney hotel pricing. We stay at Summer Bay Orlando and love it.
http://www.exploriaresorts.com/destinat ... y-orlando/
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review ... orida.html

---
As for FastPass+, you handle it all through the MyDisneyExperience website or app. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/plan/ All you need is to have already bought your Disney tickets and to link them to your MDE account. You don't need to be staying onsite to do this. People staying there get to book their FP sooner (60 days before check-in) than people who aren't (30 days), which means resort guests get first dibs. If you don't do what the more extreme people do like booking a $60 night at a Disney campsite in order to unlock the FP window and Refresh-Refresh-Refresh at 7am 60 days before your trip to get the popular stuff, then you're unlikely to get the most "hard-to-get" FPs.

FAQ here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/fastp ... s.3491680/

Some people know every in and out of this system. That said, normal guests can still use it and enjoy it. You pick three things that are available that you know you'd like to do in a day, and even if you end up waiting in line for the more popular stuff, the FPs you get still save you time at the rest. There's an hour window from the time you're booked for, and even then if you've missed your window but you ask nicely they'll give you a grace period with it. The same site/app you book the FPs and Dining Reservations with also shows you live wait times while you're in the park, so you can plan where to go next or take advantage of a short line because people are picking parade-viewing spots instead.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2737 posts
188 upvotes
GTA
I don't mean to hijack this thread but we're planning on going late November or early December and are strongly considering staying at a deluxe hotel on property via one of the many DVC resellers online. Has anyone done this, and if so, how was it? Which site did you use?

Is FastPass planning necessary if our kids are fairly young and only interested in going on basic "rides" like teacups, etc.?
Nov 3, 2002
940 posts
82 upvotes
The_Professor wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 1:05 pm
I don't mean to hijack this thread but we're planning on going late November or early December and are strongly considering staying at a deluxe hotel on property via one of the many DVC resellers online. Has anyone done this, and if so, how was it? Which site did you use?

Is FastPass planning necessary if our kids are fairly young and only interested in going on basic "rides" like teacups, etc.?
even some of the kids rides have lineups and help with fastpass.
Nov 3, 2002
940 posts
82 upvotes
Yes renting a timeshare from someone is the best way to go for a family of 5.
you will get 2 big bedrooms a full kitchen, dining area and living room and usually a lanai.
More than enough room for 5. (save money eating some breakfasts and other means at home.
Sheraton vistana is great, very close to the parks. And a good place to relax on the off days from the park. And you should plan some of those.

I own there, but already used mine for this year. ( I rent mine out for $1200 USD for the week)

But I have also stayed onsite before at the swan and dolphin. Was definitely worth it to be
able to easily go back and forth from the park to the room and back during the day. .
Nov 3, 2002
940 posts
82 upvotes
The_Professor wrote:

This page has some resources and advice listed.

https://www.mousesavers.com/other-disne ... rentpoints
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5612 posts
2209 upvotes
Kingston, ON
The_Professor wrote:

No personal experience with renting DVC weeks, though I know it is done. Everything DVC related seems to tie to their "Points" system... owners try to get "$15/point" or so USD out of renting out their points.

FP necessary? No. Can it save you waiting in line? Absolutely. If you're at Magic Kingdom and want to take them on Teacups or Small World those are normally walk-ons or 5-10 minute waits, but some of the others like Pooh or Peter Pan or Pirates can spike up to 20, 30, 40 minute waits, meaning taking one of those FPs could still be worthwhile. I believe you can FastPass the things where you take the kids' photos with their favourite characters too, so that is another good use.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1916 posts
429 upvotes
Ontario
We went last year in October and stayed at the CLC Encantada. They are new townhouses and are a 10 min drive from Disney.

In October there is Mickeys not so scary Halloween party. It starts at 7 but you can enter at 4. You can pretty much walk on every ride. We did some rides 3 times. They hand out candy all over the park and have exclusive characters.

Also keep in mind in October magic kingdom closes early on the days of the Halloween party. They will ask anyone without a wristband to leave at 7.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1794 posts
235 upvotes
St. Johns
The_Professor wrote:

I have rented DVC rooms through dvcrentalstore a number of times. You need to be aware of the policies (ie. No cancellation or refunds) but it's a fantastic way to stay at a deluxe resort.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2737 posts
188 upvotes
GTA
RyanS219 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 8:07 am
I have rented DVC rooms through dvcrentalstore a number of times. You need to be aware of the policies (ie. No cancellation or refunds) but it's a fantastic way to stay at a deluxe resort.
Thanks for that. Yeah, I've read extensively about the policies, including things like no daily housekeeping (every fourth day instead). Unfortunately dvcrentalstore doesn't have availability for our desired length of stay at one of the deluxe properties until February! Would other dvc rental sites such as dvcrequest.com have access to a different pool of availability, or do they all check the same source?