105 upvotes
Winnipeg

Disney World Free Dining 2020

Deal Link:
Expiry:
January 16, 2020
Retailer:
Walt Disney World
Disney World Free dining plan is back for summer dates. Minimum 5-night/6-day stay for arrivals 6/27-6/28, 7/5-7/7, 8/29-9/8.
Last edited by TomRFD on Jan 9th, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
96 replies
Aug 24, 2011
120 posts
72 upvotes
Southwest Ontario
Whoa...available dates are getting leaner every year.
Aug 29, 2017
221 posts
268 upvotes
As you need to do park hopper the free dining works out to the same price as when they have 20% off room rate deals and not such limited dates. For quick service dining they now track child and adult separate so looks like you can't use child quick service dining for adult meals which was a loophole they had before.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3614 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
countysat wrote: Whoa...available dates are getting leaner every year.
When you have a new attraction with Galaxy's edge, they probably don't need as much incentive to attract people to go. And with Disney+ doing well subscriber wise, bottom line is probably doing ok.
Dec 17, 2006
63 posts
259 upvotes
Richmond Hill
countysat wrote: Whoa...available dates are getting leaner every year.
Yup, leaner dates are not the only thing that has changed......before min 4-day 3-nights, now min it's 6-day/5-nights...before they offered Disney dining at the Moderate resort level, now Moderate gives you only Quick Service dining plan....before you needed to buy min. 3 days regular park passes, now you need to buy the park-hopper option with park ticket....free dining dates started mid-August, now August 29th??!!,...before over-night resort parking was included with the package, now you need to pay $15-25 USD per night for parking depending on resort level....

...and yet I booked our August vacation with free dining today.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1962 posts
1014 upvotes
Does anyone have a Disney Primer for dummies? Thinking about doing a trip this year but the number and variety of options (in terms of hotels, ticket types, dining plans, etc) confuses the hell out of me.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
4444 posts
2966 upvotes
SkiLLz wrote: Does anyone have a Disney Primer for dummies? Thinking about doing a trip this year but the number and variety of options (in terms of hotels, ticket types, dining plans, etc) confuses the hell out of me.
Have nothing to add but was told by coworker with 2 daughters that princess themed meals are booked 180 days out.
Jan 17, 2009
576 posts
58 upvotes
SkiLLz wrote: Does anyone have a Disney Primer for dummies? Thinking about doing a trip this year but the number and variety of options (in terms of hotels, ticket types, dining plans, etc) confuses the hell out of me.
Hotels: Disney has a bunch of hotels, ranging from cheap motel-like offerings like the All-Star resorts to very expensive resorts. The benefit of staying on property is that you get to book your fastpass earlier, hassle-free transportation to/from the airport and the parks. You can always stay off property and rent a car.

Ticket types: You buy the # of days, and also whether you want park hopper or not. Park hopper allows you to go to different parks on the same day. I wouldn't recommend this as going between the parks takes too long to be useful. The tickets get much cheaper the more days you add. For example, the first day is over $100 per person, but adding a 5th day to your 4 day trip is only about $10 in incremental cost.

Dining Plan: Basically you choose a tier of service, and then you pay a certain amount per day per person. Each person then gets 2 meal credits and 2 snack credits per day to use. Economically it can be beneficial if you always optimize to buy the most expensive meals/snacks, but it limits your freedom a lot. It's not super worth it unless your family eats a lot or you get it for free (like this deal). The higher tier of service you pay for, the more restaurants you can use your credits at.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3931 posts
1542 upvotes
Toronto
The tickets, unless your kids are teenager. It is useless for multihop tickets. The park is so huge and you are fine with single ticket as you would normally stay in one park in one day, especially you want to do fastpass rides and good character dining.

For resort you have two choice, you either go with Disney resort and buy the premium meal plans or go with Marriott swan and dolphin resorts that you can pay for your own meals. Marriot is the only non Disney resort that will get a 60days fastpass.

People whom lives outside get 30day fastpass and all the good rides will be booked. Just make sure you start booking rides and restaurant 60 days before you leave for your trip.

The reason is that Disney resort is so expensive that it wouldn't make sense if you dont buy it's meal plan. IMHO it is the best value comes with the Disney resort. I think you can typically save around 500 if you go with premium meal plan and focus on character dining instead of doing quick serve.

I stayed in grand Floridian for 5 days and costs me 10000 for four people including airfare. The alternatives is to stay in cheaper hotel and don't buy meal plan. I believe the difference is somewhat 3k to 4k if you live in cheaper resort and pay as you go for the meals.

I went to like 7 character dining including meeting Cinderella three times during the meals. I think it was a bit too much but my kids 7 and 5 love it.

In my opinion, the best sale is 20% off of the hotel as I don't think you can apply multiple discounts as you go big on resort. I saved like 800USD.

Alternatively, park ticket is probably the best discount for people who are on budget. I had to say...i have been traveling like twenty times ever since I start working...disney is the place engineered in a way you really feel privileged when you pay extra.

We are going again in ten months and we will still be staying Disney resort and buy its meal plan. I think that's really what Disney experience is all about.
Last edited by Ceryx on Jan 2nd, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Aug 24, 2011
120 posts
72 upvotes
Southwest Ontario
Lots of online resources. Start here then use google for other sources.
https://www.mousesavers.com/walt-disney ... and-deals/
Sep 22, 2012
324 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
U have to book with Disney directly to get the free dining promo?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3931 posts
1542 upvotes
Toronto
Cuddlebudy wrote: U have to book with Disney directly to get the free dining promo?
Dining plan is only available for Disney resort customer.
Aug 20, 2013
73 posts
51 upvotes
Edmonton
I haven't gone to a disney park since i was a little kid 30+ years ago. So everything in this thread is pure gibberish to me.
I know disney goes by their own rulebook, but geezus, trying to figure out the disney park concepts needs some sort of disney fan vacation planner.
If the costs weren't so extravagant, I can probably make mistakes and it won't be a big deal, but at $100+ a ticket for admission, making a mistake for a family is a big deal.

I have a young daughter now, and she is getting to the age that she wants to go to a disney park... I think you need a full educational course to be able to plan what you need to do to not waste money and time.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3931 posts
1542 upvotes
Toronto
MrMcMike wrote: I haven't gone to a disney park since i was a little kid 30+ years ago. So everything in this thread is pure gibberish to me.
I know disney goes by their own rulebook, but geezus, trying to figure out the disney park concepts needs some sort of disney fan vacation planner.
If the costs weren't so extravagant, I can probably make mistakes and it won't be a big deal, but at $100+ a ticket for admission, making a mistake for a family is a big deal.

I have a young daughter now, and she is getting to the age that she wants to go to a disney park... I think you need a full educational course to be able to plan what you need to do to not waste money and time.
I think the biggest challenge will be booking rides and restaurant as I spent almost a whole morning figuring out rides and restaurant. Everything else will sort itself out.
Jan 10, 2008
16 posts
2 upvotes
hamilton
As a comparison

we did 7 days 6 nights in a deluxe resort including 2 adults and 1 kid. We had park hopper for 5 of those days. We did not having a dining pass as my son is a picky eater. Ate cereal in the room for breakfast, a snack for lunch and had one meal out per say(we did use Uber eats once or twice)

It was 7000 with taxes/airfare/us conversion on everything. We admittedly wanted the first experience to be great and it was. Our biggest learning curve was the rides and planning the whole park experience. We could’ve went cheaper in a number of areas and didn’t.