• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2019 10:08 am
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26578 upvotes
Scarborough
feminazi wrote: We booked a trip to Disney for the last week of August during the last free dining promotion. We are going to drive down because the cost of flights is absurd. We are staying at Pop Century and since we have to pay to park at our resort we are planning on driving to the parks every day. This is our first time going to Disney and therefore we are rookies.

Is this a viable plan?

On another note, why the hell doesn't Disney have a toll-free number!!!? How arrogant!
Flights this year have definitely gone up so if you're ok driving, go for it. There are definite pluses to driving (not limited to resort/park food for one) but I highly recommend taking the resort shuttle bus when you head to Magic Kingdom. It takes longer to drive because you have to park at the TTC (ticket and transportation center) and then monorail or ferry over to the park. The bus on the other hand will drop you off right outside the park.

Use Google Hangouts to call Disney for free.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1862 posts
703 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: Flights this year have definitely gone up so if you're ok driving, go for it. There are definite pluses to driving (not limited to resort/park food for one) but I highly recommend taking the resort shuttle bus when you head to Magic Kingdom. It takes longer to drive because you have to park at the TTC (ticket and transportation center) and then monorail or ferry over to the park. The bus on the other hand will drop you off right outside the park.

Use Google Hangouts to call Disney for free.
Thanks for the tips!

Driving to the other parks besides The Magic Kingdom should be OK though?

We are going with the free dining promo. this time around because we want our kids to have character dining and to see the different venues etc.

The next time we go I would like to stay off the resort or rent someone's property inside the resort and then buy our own food.
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26578 upvotes
Scarborough
feminazi wrote: Driving to the other parks besides The Magic Kingdom should be OK though?

The next time we go I would like to stay off the resort or rent someone's property inside the resort and then buy our own food.
Yup, driving to the other parks is fine. It can be a bit of a trek from the parking lot depending on what time you get there and whether or not you're at the front or back of the aisle (they have a crew directing you where to park). There are parking lot trams though so you can take that if you don't feel like walking.

Renting a home or condo is a pretty popular option and often not that expensive. Buying your own food can definitely save a good amount of money.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5553 posts
5200 upvotes
feminazi wrote: Thanks for the tips!

Driving to the other parks besides The Magic Kingdom should be OK though?

We are going with the free dining promo. this time around because we want our kids to have character dining and to see the different venues etc.

Don't drive to the parks, just take Uber. They drive you right to the entrance at Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and Epcot, no waiting for the parking shuttle or walking.

For Magic Kingdom take Uber to Contemporary and walk (5 min) to Magic Kingdom. Benefit is they have their own security gate so you bypass that at the main entrance.
Jan 19, 2017
48 posts
14 upvotes
Going from Dec 16th to 22nd and missed this deal, don't know whether I am better off without it? What are the dining options outside of disney if we are thinking about taking a break in the middle of the day because of young kids? Also with eating outside and hopping parks, do you recommend uber or renting a car? Staying at Disney All start sports and it has $15 parking fee.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5553 posts
5200 upvotes
jaguar20100 wrote: Going from Dec 16th to 22nd and missed this deal, don't know whether I am better off without it? What are the dining options outside of disney if we are thinking about taking a break in the middle of the day because of young kids? Also with eating outside and hopping parks, do you recommend uber or renting a car? Staying at Disney All start sports and it has $15 parking fee.
There is nothing too nearby for eating. At least 10-15 min drive (depending which park you're coming from.

Honestly, don't even consider renting a car. Just use Uber/Lyft.
Aug 12, 2012
136 posts
37 upvotes
London, ON
jaguar20100 wrote: Going from Dec 16th to 22nd and missed this deal, don't know whether I am better off without it? What are the dining options outside of disney if we are thinking about taking a break in the middle of the day because of young kids? Also with eating outside and hopping parks, do you recommend uber or renting a car? Staying at Disney All start sports and it has $15 parking fee.
You will spend a lot of wasted time trying to get off the resort. If you are staying at a Disney Property then just use the transport and don't rent a car. You can eat onsite at either the parks or other resorts. Also Disney Springs has a lot of options, I recommend Earl of Sandwhich for lighter lunch.