[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2004
2665 posts
317 upvotes

Walt Disney World Resort Free Dining dates released

Expiry:
July 8, 2016
The 2016 Walt Disney World free dining dates have been released.

Details from http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2016/04/2 ... available/
Disney World Free Dining 2016 Travel Dates
Free Dining is being offered to guests ARRIVING during the dates listed below. A minimum stay of 3 nights is required and your package may not be booked for longer than 14 nights.

August 23 – October 1, 2016
November 15 – November 21, 2016
November 26 – November 28, 2016
December 10 – December 21, 2016

You must book by July 8th to get the offer.

(Please note that the offer excludes: Campsites, Bungalows at Polynesian Village, Grand Floridian Villas, Bay Lake Tower, 3-bedroom Villas, Port Orleans French Quarter, and Little Mermaid rooms at Art of Animation. Port Orleans Riverside is only available through October 1st. )
59 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2006
1413 posts
1459 upvotes
Kitchener
Saw the rumours and set the alarm to book early this morning :)
Already had the Art of Animation family suite booked for Nov 26 for a week.
So awesome that the free dining dates lined up with my stay.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4315 posts
766 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Not always a deal as you're paying 20% more for room rates compared to normal room rates. They're also making you pay for Park hopper which isn't necessarily required.

If your family eats like crazy and want to eat exclusively at Disney than decent if dates work for you.

Still, so expensive, prices have gone up quite a lot.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3875 posts
1239 upvotes
Edmonton
Meh, they're soo restrictive now it's not worth it. Although, I think thats the point for them - They can't discontinue it without people screaming, so they just make it less attractive or restrictive.

Weird they exclude the Port Orlean's resorts, we stayed there recently and it was great.

We saved alot more on the last trip using Expedia - free dining would not have made up the difference.
Jan 18, 2005
243 posts
41 upvotes
Waterloo
U4IA wrote: Meh, they're soo restrictive now it's not worth it. Although, I think thats the point for them - They can't discontinue it without people screaming, so they just make it less attractive or restrictive.

Weird they exclude the Port Orlean's resorts, we stayed there recently and it was great.

We saved alot more on the last trip using Expedia - free dining would not have made up the difference.
Port Orleans French Quarter only. Riverside isn't excluded up to October 1st.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4344 posts
616 upvotes
Toronto
So in your opinion, would what would be the breakeven point between free admission, free dining, or 40% off rooms?
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3875 posts
1239 upvotes
Edmonton
projectmoonlightcafe wrote: So in your opinion, would what would be the breakeven point between free admission, free dining, or 40% off rooms?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking? Which would be the better of the three? Unless you have a special deal, not likely to get free admission or 40% off rooms...
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4344 posts
616 upvotes
Toronto
U4IA wrote: I'm not quite sure what you're asking? Which would be the better of the three? Unless you have a special deal, not likely to get free admission or 40% off rooms...
Yes, that's what I mean...usually the offers aren't stackable; so at what point does one become more attractive than the others?
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1235 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
sixer wrote: Not always a deal as you're paying 20% more for room rates compared to normal room rates.
What do you mean, they raise the room price 20%? Or do you mean "you can choose a 20% off room rate discount, or a free dining offer, but not both"?
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2013
2060 posts
2089 upvotes
Living the dream
This is good deal if you like food.
The name is pronounced El‧u‧àr‧do. I am the ultimate deal hunter, y'all just gatherers. I was the first openly black man to get a Costco membership.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2006
1413 posts
1459 upvotes
Kitchener
projectmoonlightcafe wrote: Yes, that's what I mean...usually the offers aren't stackable; so at what point does one become more attractive than the others?
Need to consider your dates, party size, room type, and your usage of the dining plan...
Here was my thinking

I already intended to go and stay at the Art of Animation family suite. So given that (i.e. don't compare to staying outside Disney or eating offsite etc..)

The Room at Rack rates for my week was $2460 USD for 8 nights.
If I assume a discount of 25%, I may save $615

Instead, I'm getting "Free Dining", which for 6 people (3 kids and 3 adults), I'm saving $1502.
However, I'm forced to spend $409 on the Water Park option to add to my tickets. I wasn't planning on using those, so for argument sake I could say I'm really only saving 1502-409 = $1093

So, Option A = get 2 quick service meals per day per person, plus 1 snack, plus a drink cup... and also get admissions to the Water Parks
or Option B = hold out for a room discount of ~$615 USD

in my case, I place more value on Option A. The "cost" of the dining plan was $1502 and is now $0 and I throw $409 at the water parks passes, you could easily argue that I won't see the full $1502 cost of the dining plan (there are lots of articles that show that the dining plan is convenient, not really a deal, as you need to order the most expensive items and always get a dessert etc..you could eat for much less)

but if the next most likely discount is a 25% off room rate deal, then I figure to get more than $615 in value from the free dining.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2287 posts
646 upvotes
Its all in the marketing since nothing is really free.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4344 posts
616 upvotes
Toronto
Is it 25% off only now? Last time I went it was 40% off room rates
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3875 posts
1239 upvotes
Edmonton
There are some really in-depth posts on free dining on the dis boards already..

I think the better value in free dining is for the table service credits, since those meals can really add up in price. But then you have to want to spend the time with long meals...

On our last trip we did all Disney (usually we'd be at something like Bonnet Creek, or Swan/Dolphin, etc) and we didnt spend all that much on food. Sometimes we all ate kids meals, sometimes we shared, and othertimes we just enjoyed a couple of pretzels. We got our rooms fairly cheap through expedia (well compared to Disneys rack rate) , and even got over $150 back from ebates on that as well.

The USD to CAD dollar is hurting, so if you can maximize what you're buying in canadian dollars to avoid extra CC currency conversion costs as well really helps. We got our tickets through Flight Centre who price matched Air Canada which was surprisingly the cheapest place for tickets. (And we paid in CDN funds as well) But, if you want all digital ticket's it's not the place to get them...

You can do WDW as cheap (stay outside hotels with a kitchenette etc), or as expensive (Grand Floridian, etc) as you want..

It also comes down to time and convenience vs money, our resort was never more than an 15 minute bus ride to any park (Including AK)... it can eat up alot of time if you need to leave the park, hit your hotel, lunch/dinner, then back again. Plus, park hoppers are almost useless at WDW.... (in my opinion) other than maybe AK which closes early.

And we followed the touring guides suggestions and did opposite every WDW magic hour park and it was awesome for lines....