• May 13th, 2017 2:13 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto

Want to plant some fruit trees?

So I am looking to plant some fruit trees in my yard ,want something that will bear fruit quickly, cherries , plums apples. Where is the best place to get some small trees? I am in GTA
3 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Not to advise on where to purchase but to maybe point you in the direction of what type of fruit. Be sure to go with dwarf varieties. The trees do not grow overly tall and can still produce a lot of fruit. My Gala apple tree took a break last year and it looks like it will again be a bumper crop this August, two years ago I got close to a bushell and the tree is only 7-8 feet tall and 3 feet diameter in branch spread.

Cherries - first to ripen, usually mid to late June, depending on variety. Then it is a race to who gets the cherries first, you or the robins. I have two, a Van and a Bing.
Apples - fairly dependable, depends on the variety and whether they are self pollinating. I have 3 species, Gala as mentioned ripens late August. MacIntosh mid to late September and Granny Smith late October. Because the gala is so prolific I have it in the front side yard and local children come by and pick an apple before and after school.

If you have a fenced in yard you might also try growing grapes along the fence line. Concord is quite common, Niagara is a nice green seedless grape (good for juice too) and Himrod is also green seedless. Another vine for the fence line is Arctic Kiwi, sweet and the blooms are very aromatic, you have to have at least one male plant to pollinate the others.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.