Food & Drink

Want some rice to go with your $1k rice cooker?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2022 12:11 am
Tags:
5 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1642 posts
1667 upvotes
Markham, ON
Pretty sure I bought my rice cooker for $14.99 like 15 years ago.
Still going strong.
Then again I put a shot tonne of curries with the rice so I don't really know the real "taste" of the rice.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11512 posts
6353 upvotes
That's the world's best rice from a Japanese perspective, though. There are lots of other rices developed alongside other cuisines that differ quite a bit.

Interesting to learn about Koshihikari rice in general. I have to keep my eyes peeled & try that.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2021
138 posts
248 upvotes
lecale wrote: That's the world's best rice from a Japanese perspective, though. There are lots of other rices developed alongside other cuisines that differ quite a bit.

Interesting to learn about Koshihikari rice in general. I have to keep my eyes peeled & try that.
Every bit of judgement has a perspective...regardless of what's being judged.

To your point though, what are some of the other competitions / ranking from other cuisines around the world?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11512 posts
6353 upvotes
CircularMotion wrote: Every bit of judgement has a perspective...regardless of what's being judged.

To your point though, what are some of the other competitions / ranking from other cuisines around the world?
I am not sure on competitions, I just meant that each rice has its use. I'd seek Koshihikari for authentic Japanese but I would not sub it for basmati for my South Asian cooking.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48384 posts
11671 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
lecale wrote: I am not sure on competitions, I just meant that each rice has its use. I'd seek Koshihikari for authentic Japanese but I would not sub it for basmati for my South Asian cooking.
Yah true. But “the worlds best Japonica Oryza sativa“ doesn’t have a nice ring to it.

:lol: