• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2019 11:16 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21289 posts
2114 upvotes
tkl wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 8:58 pm
I just tried it again, that's one way for 25000 miles right ? Mine says round trip is 50000 miles
That's the long haul business rate.
Dec 13, 2006
458 posts
167 upvotes
Phi8ly wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 8:52 pm
It’s also 25,000 miles from YYZ to LAX, SFO, SAN, YVR, etc.
The way I see it: You could flight with United for 382,96 CA Including Taxes...
So you are getting 382.96 - 198.11(Tax) = 184.11 $ for your 25000 point.

https://flights.app.goo.gl/hhCxv

With Gift card, you can get 200$ at Amazon for 24K point...

We can debate on Ticket time, and in this specific case United is not a direct flight, but overall because of the Tax surcharge of air canada ticket on promotionnal offer, the redemtion on short flight is not worth it.
Oct 14, 2017
519 posts
361 upvotes
grisensko wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 10:03 pm

We can debate on Ticket time, and in this specific case United is not a direct flight, but overall because of the Tax surcharge of air canada ticket on promotionnal offer, the redemtion on short flight is not worth it.
Yes it is heavily dependent on your route and how you use the points. If you are flying on routes that frequently go on sale then the gift card may be the better offer. But in my case I recently did a YVR-MIA MIA-EWR (3 day stopover) then EWR - YVR for 25000 points + $80 in taxes so that was a pretty good value for the points (since the tickets from YVR to MIA are usually $700 plus especially during the popular travel periods).

Edit: Also in your calculation if you are using United Airlines the tax is around $80 so you actually get around $300 for your points.
Nov 22, 2017
27 posts
107 upvotes
grisensko wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 10:03 pm

I understand that you prefaced by saying that we can debate flight time but that’s exactly the point. We’re not comparing apples to apples. A direct flight through AC is approximately $515 and IMO paying the extra $132 is totally worth it in order to avoid that 2 hour layover on the return flight back.

And as oscar1999 pointed out, you would pay less in taxes when redeeming points for a United flight.
Oct 14, 2017
519 posts
361 upvotes
Phi8ly wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:25 pm
I understand that you prefaced by saying that we can debate flight time but that’s exactly the point. We’re not comparing apples to apples. A direct flight through AC is approximately $515 and IMO paying the extra $132 is totally worth it in order to avoid that 2 hour layover on the return flight back.

And as oscar1999 pointed out, you would pay less in taxes when redeeming points for a United flight.
Yeah and note that with Aeroplan you are booked on Standard Economy (not basic) so for the exact dates the price would be $537 vs 25000 points + $200 taxes. That would mean that the points would be worth around $337 so yeah using the points in this case would be pretty worth it (especially to get a direct flight).
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1152 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto
kruel wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 4:52 pm
Based in Toronto destinations Miami, NYC and Boston
Certain parts of Florida is pretty cheap to fly to on cash rate (because of the Canadian snowbird thing). With that said, ways that could make it worthwhile are:
  • If you had to take a trip last minute (within 2 days)
  • If you want a "free" stopover in NYC or BOS (or anywhere in North America really) on the way to/from Miami on a roundtrip North American flight
  • If you travel during peak period (ie. xmas)
  • If you wanted to travel one way because you weren't sure when you would return then the cost is half (in points) instead of being like 80% to 90%.
  • If you want to book business or first class
The other ways I make it more worthwhile is to combine it with CIBC's or TD's aeroplan card which gives you perks when you're flying an aeroplan flight booked with your own aeroplan account. Perks such as 1 free checked-in luggage on Air Canada flights, priority boarding on Air Canada flights, some Maple Leaf lounge access, etc.

But yeah, my parents fly to Florida and when they do, I almost never book it under aeroplan because they're probably getting a value of 0.9 cents per point if you book ahead of time during non-peak season. The other reason your taxes/fees are higher is because Toronto (YYZ) has one of the highest airport fees when leaving YYZ.

I book if the typical value for my situation is at least 1 cent per point. I don't go crazy like some people where they value it at 1.5 cent or 2 cents per point. With the 1 cent per point, it's very easy to use it up. I've probably used 1.5 million points in the last several years. I liquidated nearly all my points because of the uncertainty of Aimia's future a year ago.

I feel like Aeroplan is actually one of the few programs out there that is listening to what people want. They've made lots of positive changes like decreasing fuel surcharges (especially with Air Canada), allowing free cancellation within 24 hours now, more available seats from what I can notice. With that said, they also are making or made some slightly negative changes...mostly for people who would fly to farther parts of Asia. They're also decreasing the free international (non-North American) stopovers from 2 to 1.

To top it off, Aeroplan has partnerships with nearly every financial institution in Canada...making it very easy to accrue enough points to actually use it towards something worthwhile. They also have partnerships with a lot of big retailers.

If you're complaining about Aeroplan, then you haven't tried many other rewards programs. There's a lot out there that are very frustrating for Canadians. The only ones that are easier to use are the ones that give you points to rebate against your travel purchases.

The only thing I really don't like about Aeroplan is their 12 month point expiry rule.
Aug 7, 2007
3 posts
1 upvote
Waterloo
OP, don't be angry. The deal may not meet certain people's expectations, but your heart is warm. This is what have made RFD a great site from the beginning. And you know what It is a warm deal for people who don't travel so much.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2007
74 posts
244 upvotes
Toronto
shamans wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 2:50 am
Certain parts of Florida is pretty cheap to fly to on cash rate (because of the Canadian snowbird thing). With that said, ways that could make it worthwhile are:
  • If you had to take a trip last minute (within 2 days)
  • If you want a "free" stopover in NYC or BOS (or anywhere in North America really) on the way to/from Miami on a roundtrip North American flight
  • If you travel during peak period (ie. xmas)
  • If you wanted to travel one way because you weren't sure when you would return then the cost is half (in points) instead of being like 80% to 90%.
  • If you want to book business or first class
The other ways I make it more worthwhile is to combine it with CIBC's or TD's aeroplan card which gives you perks when you're flying an aeroplan flight booked with your own aeroplan account. Perks such as 1 free checked-in luggage on Air Canada flights, priority boarding on Air Canada flights, some Maple Leaf lounge access, etc.

But yeah, my parents fly to Florida and when they do, I almost never book it under aeroplan because they're probably getting a value of 0.9 cents per point if you book ahead of time during non-peak season. The other reason your taxes/fees are higher is because Toronto (YYZ) has one of the highest airport fees when leaving YYZ.

I book if the typical value for my situation is at least 1 cent per point. I don't go crazy like some people where they value it at 1.5 cent or 2 cents per point. With the 1 cent per point, it's very easy to use it up. I've probably used 1.5 million points in the last several years. I liquidated nearly all my points because of the uncertainty of Aimia's future a year ago.

I feel like Aeroplan is actually one of the few programs out there that is listening to what people want. They've made lots of positive changes like decreasing fuel surcharges (especially with Air Canada), allowing free cancellation within 24 hours now, more available seats from what I can notice. With that said, they also are making or made some slightly negative changes...mostly for people who would fly to farther parts of Asia. They're also decreasing the free international (non-North American) stopovers from 2 to 1.

To top it off, Aeroplan has partnerships with nearly every financial institution in Canada...making it very easy to accrue enough points to actually use it towards something worthwhile. They also have partnerships with a lot of big retailers.

If you're complaining about Aeroplan, then you haven't tried many other rewards programs. There's a lot out there that are very frustrating for Canadians. The only ones that are easier to use are the ones that give you points to rebate against your travel purchases.

The only thing I really don't like about Aeroplan is their 12 month point expiry rule.
Thank you very much! I appreciate this.
Cagg wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 7:50 am
OP, don't be angry. The deal may not meet certain people's expectations, but your heart is warm. This is what have made RFD a great site from the beginning. And you know what It is a warm deal for people who don't travel so much.
I am not angry, I really like RFD community. :)
Jul 31, 2008
40 posts
6 upvotes
Arctic cold! 12500 points is a one way from Vancouver to Montreal/Toronto. That ticket alone is $350+!!
Nov 26, 2008
626 posts
185 upvotes
GTA
I’ve got 98000 points and the taxes were horrible to book Miami for a 3 person family trip. I could never figure out how to find a “united flight” or flying out of Buffalo or Hamilton was an absolute gong show.

I guess I’ll have to dig a bit deeper to “learn” how to use the points better as so many have put it.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1152 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto
bostonontario wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 12:46 pm
I’ve got 98000 points and the taxes were horrible to book Miami for a 3 person family trip. I could never figure out how to find a “united flight” or flying out of Buffalo or Hamilton was an absolute gong show.

I guess I’ll have to dig a bit deeper to “learn” how to use the points better as so many have put it.
On average, the US market won't be as competitive when using with Aeroplan because the market by itself is already very competitive...especially between 2 major airports.

I'll show you a fairly creative booking I did recently that involves Florida, although not in the way you would expect...
YYZ-TPE-SGN
CEB-TPE-YYZ (20 hour layover)-RSW
RSW-YYZ

So I essentially tacked on RSW as a free stopover. 90k points + $157 in taxes and fees. EVA Air on the asia related flights. Air Canada on North American flights.
SGN, CEB, and RSW are all destinations that were already planning to go to.

Normally, you don't have to be super creative to make something nice. A typical booking I do is simply round trip between Vancouver and Toronto, usually last minute. It fulfills the 1 cent per mile value. You don't need to go out of your way to avoid Air Canada. Fuel surcharges for North American flights I think are $30 or less and not applicable on all routes...it's not worth the bother to avoid.
Nov 22, 2017
27 posts
107 upvotes
bostonontario wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 12:46 pm

The Aeroplan website is notorious for only showing Air Canada flights, or other airlines with high fuel surcharges such as Lufthansa.

Try calling and booking with an Aeroplan rep. You will have to pay a $30 booking fee per passenger, however it should end up saving you a lot of money when using your points to book a United flight. Although, I don’t believe there are any direct flights on United from Toronto to Miami.
Jun 30, 2019
15 posts
16 upvotes
kruel wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 2:15 pm
Aeroplan in general is crap. I have points there that are not worth using for airplane tickets, so grabbing $300 in Best Buy gift cards for 6000 miles less, makes it a deal for me. I am sorry if this is a cold deal for you.

At the end of they day this forum exist for people to share deals (ice cold, warm or hot doesn't matter to me). How many deals have you posted?
I have an upcoming aeroplan trip booked for two to Taiwan, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Singapore all in business class. I paid it off all in points. When I checked the dollar value of the flights themselves, it added up to more than 25,000 CAD in flight reward redemption.

Aeroplan is extremely lucrative in flight reward. You just need to do your proper research on how to redeem it properly.
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11278 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
How many points did that take?
serious9 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 2:39 am
I have an upcoming aeroplan trip booked for two to Taiwan, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Singapore all in business class. I paid it off all in points. When I checked the dollar value of the flights themselves, it added up to more than 25,000 CAD in flight reward redemption.

Aeroplan is extremely lucrative in flight reward. You just need to do your proper research on how to redeem it properly.