Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

[Amazon.ca] Nvidia Shiled TV 16 GB for $250 All in

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2016 7:20 am
Dec 22, 2011
326 posts
65 upvotes
Oakville
Is it worth it to buy this for kodi use only?I have a ps4 so don't need for gaming/Netflix/YouTube etc.I currently have a cheap 1 gb Chinese box that I use for kodi only and it works fine for now but I know at some point will crap out.Was thinking about upgrading to the shield or should I just get a little better(2gb)Chinese box from Amazon.Also can you just put a wireless mouse on the shield?I find that works best on my box instead of the remote.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24230 posts
43257 upvotes
ONTARIO
nicry1 wrote: Is it worth it to buy this for kodi use only?I have a ps4 so don't need for gaming/Netflix/YouTube etc.I currently have a cheap 1 gb Chinese box that I use for kodi only and it works fine for now but I know at some point will crap out.Was thinking about upgrading to the shield or should I just get a little better(2gb)Chinese box from Amazon.Also can you just put a wireless mouse on the shield?I find that works best on my box instead of the remote.
The Shield will recognize a wireless mouse, yes. But would you want to use one?
The Shield runs Android TV, which is optimized to be used with a remote/controller. It's nothing like those cheap chinese boxes that run a regular version of Android meant for tablets.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2011
1408 posts
830 upvotes
Ajax
SergesPlace wrote: Well i got lucky yesterday and found a guy who needed cash for the Shield he bought at Canada Computers last week. $260 with receipt and all the plastic was still on.

This is absolutely the best Android Box out there as i have had a few of these things now. The bonus is that it works with the new Rogers remote that comes with their 4K box

Still think it's a bit pricey but it really is a fantastic little device.
How did you get the rogers 4K box remote to work with the sheild? Did yoh do the generic rogers remote automatic code shut off?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
nicry1 wrote: Is it worth it to buy this for kodi use only?I have a ps4 so don't need for gaming/Netflix/YouTube etc.I currently have a cheap 1 gb Chinese box that I use for kodi only and it works fine for now but I know at some point will crap out.Was thinking about upgrading to the shield or should I just get a little better(2gb)Chinese box from Amazon.Also can you just put a wireless mouse on the shield?I find that works best on my box instead of the remote.
The Shield comes with Chromecast which is a plus for many. It does not support Amazon Prime should that be an issue. It has an excellent Kodi (SPMC) supported by one of the very few developers still coding for Android. The only other developers seem to have gone the MrMC route which does not support Python AddOns which seem to be the reason for the popularity of the Chinese players.

If you game then I think it's a very good unit. For just Kodi you do have SPMC which is supported. It's probably the best Kodi on a media player. Many people feel that Kodi is dying on Android ( not the Shield though).

Tough choice as you could get a Fire TV for much less.

If you have some extra cash then the Shield is a really appealing unit, especially if Amazon and/or Apple is not an issue.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
BobSagget wrote: The Shield will recognize a wireless mouse, yes. But would you want to use one?
The Shield runs Android TV, which is optimized to be used with a remote/controller. It's nothing like those cheap chinese boxes that run a regular version of Android meant for tablets.
I occasionally hookup a Bluetooth mouse & keyboard in order to move files around in ES Explorer (movies, photos, etc.) from either my network or flash drives.
Much quicker and easier than using the gamepad or remote.
Otherwise, 99% of the time the gamepad is my go-to controller.....not a fan of the remote (and I'm glad it was free :D ).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2004
5795 posts
415 upvotes
Toronto
covabwoy wrote: How did you get the rogers 4K box remote to work with the sheild? Did yoh do the generic rogers remote automatic code shut off?
No i punched in the actual code for my Vizio TV
Jun 19, 2006
225 posts
154 upvotes
New deal is free controller

Not as good as free remote

This promo will likely run for 2 weeks like the $20 did. Hopefully they offer the free remote again in 2 weeks and the border from bhphoto video

Bhphotovideo price is better than any Canadian retailer even after tax duty etc and they ship fast from new york
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
getting my player today from bhp wow fast shipping especially from the us
May 12, 2014
108 posts
23 upvotes
Concord, ON
sassysue wrote: getting my player today from bhp wow fast shipping especially from the us
Awesome! Got mine yesterday.. Updated to marshmallow.. Will set up kodi today.. The controller looks bulky but is very comfortable and super responsive...overall the system is super snappy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
schumacer wrote: Awesome! Got mine yesterday.. Updated to marshmallow.. Will set up kodi today.. The controller looks bulky but is very comfortable and super responsive...overall the system is super snappy!
How do you do the marshmallow update?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1320 posts
314 upvotes
If you are just going to run Kodi, I wouldn’t bother with the Shield. Get a Raspberry Pi 3 as it has far better Kodi support than any Android device. Nvidia Shield Kodi (SPMC) has like one guy working on it and it is Kodi 16 (Jarvis). All other version of Kodi on Android (think Chinese boxes) are just hacks and of very old vintage (Kodi 15 Isengard or older). The Kodi organization are sick and tired of these Chinese boxes packaging Kodi with addons and getting associated with piracy.

There are two version Kodi 17 (Kypton) for Raspberry Pi – one with LibreElec and other for OSMC. Personally I am using LibreElec.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
fyi for those who dont wanna wait for a free remote deal or use the controller, app store has "Android TV remote" app which works quite well. im impressed for something thats free!

caveat: for me, the app works much better on phone than tab.
Jun 18, 2008
510 posts
270 upvotes
Calgary
engmsf wrote: If you are just going to run Kodi, I wouldn’t bother with the Shield. Get a Raspberry Pi 3 as it has far better Kodi support than any Android device. Nvidia Shield Kodi (SPMC) has like one guy working on it and it is Kodi 16 (Jarvis). All other version of Kodi on Android (think Chinese boxes) are just hacks and of very old vintage (Kodi 15 Isengard or older). The Kodi organization are sick and tired of these Chinese boxes packaging Kodi with addons and getting associated with piracy.

There are two version Kodi 17 (Kypton) for Raspberry Pi – one with LibreElec and other for OSMC. Personally I am using LibreElec.
Does PI support x265 or 4K?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
753951 wrote: Does PI support x265 or 4K?
Good point.
Now, as far as KODI is concerned, does any release support 4K?
I only own 1080p TV's, and have 2 Shield TV's (with a 3rd one on the way), so have never checked to see if there's decent support for 4K streaming.
Even if it did, I'd imagine a stable & lightening fast Internet connection would be required in order to benefit from it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6877 posts
1032 upvotes
Calgary
753951 wrote: Does PI support x265 or 4K?
the pi doesnt have hdmi 2.0+ so no 4k. x265 is possible via software decoding i believe but have not tested it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
i need some help setting up a plex server on the nvidia i keep reading its only for the pro is that true? i have my 2tb hd connected and i cannot do nothing with it.....

Any ideas?

Great fast unit for kodi
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
engmsf wrote: If you are just going to run Kodi, I wouldn’t bother with the Shield. Get a Raspberry Pi 3 as it has far better Kodi support than any Android device. Nvidia Shield Kodi (SPMC) has like one guy working on it and it is Kodi 16 (Jarvis). All other version of Kodi on Android (think Chinese boxes) are just hacks and of very old vintage (Kodi 15 Isengard or older). The Kodi organization are sick and tired of these Chinese boxes packaging Kodi with addons and getting associated with piracy.

The Shield is expensive for Kodi but their developer is very committed to SPMC. Kodi on Android has no main developer at all. Fixes are obtained indirectly via the SPMC developer and the MrMC developers (Davilla et al ...). The writing is on the wall when it comes to Kodi and Android.

The Rasberry Pi is very neat. The ordering process just seems so darned complicated and then there's the I/o issue. Are Harmony remotes supported or do you have to use the very neat FLIRC? Anyway, it all adds up at which point a NUC becomes appealing.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1320 posts
314 upvotes
pmcd wrote: The Shield is expensive for Kodi but their developer is very committed to SPMC. Kodi on Android has no main developer at all. Fixes are obtained indirectly via the SPMC developer and the MrMC developers (Davilla et al ...). The writing is on the wall when it comes to Kodi and Android.

The Rasberry Pi is very neat. The ordering process just seems so darned complicated and then there's the I/o issue. Are Harmony remotes supported or do you have to use the very neat FLIRC? Anyway, it all adds up at which point a NUC becomes appealing.
Yeah the NUC Kaby Lake will probably have all of the 4K hardware feature set - HDR 10bit VP9 H265 HDMI 2.0 etc. For now the Raspberry Pi3 does everything I need at 1080p. Will wait for the newer 4K and plentiful content to be available.

As for remote, I am using an air mouse c120 and backup Logitech K400 if needed.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6877 posts
1032 upvotes
Calgary
pmcd wrote: The Shield is expensive for Kodi but their developer is very committed to SPMC. Kodi on Android has no main developer at all. Fixes are obtained indirectly via the SPMC developer and the MrMC developers (Davilla et al ...). The writing is on the wall when it comes to Kodi and Android.

I was very surprised to see my harmony smart control remote working via BT on my new pi 3... you just use 'microsoft kodi' as your device so no need for flirc...I'm running libreelec btw.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)