• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2011 12:15 pm
[OP]
May 3, 2010
230 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto

[Warm?] Cana-Vac - 399QLS. $699 with a few extra accessories

Just went to www.the-vacmaster.ca to pick up a central vacuum system.

Was going to pull the trigger for a 250LS model for 599 last weekend, but a new Home Show special came out today.

http://www.the-vacmaster.ca/star_ad.html

$699 - Cana-Vac 399QLS + German power head package
+ Hardwood mop ($25)
+ Quilted Soc ($30)
+ Stair wisk ($15)
+ Mattress brush ($10)

Read on this forum on the 399 reviews and prices and this deal seems pretty competitive. Deal will be in the newspaper tomorrow (in the Star I believe) and ends by the end of the month.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50573 posts
15351 upvotes
How does this compare to the Hoover one at Costco for $599 when on special (I believe)?

Already thanked you for the post so I am posing a legitimate question. :)
[OP]
May 3, 2010
230 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
I've had a cana-vac before on my old house for 20 years and haven't had any problems but I don't have any experience with Hoover.

But I did find this post on RFD when doing my research:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/hoover-canavac-895628/

[QUOTE]This seems to have come up a lot lately..

The Hoover model is actually assembled by Canavac.. however it is not spec'ed to Canavac levels.

Hoover has them put in a small motor. My opinion is it is under sized, at least compared to a Canavac 399LS it is way under sized.

Also the motor is not connected up to the exhaust for the muffler. The muffler will do zero to dampen the noise. You can actually see right through the housing from the outside that it is connected to nothing.

I have no opinion on the kit since I never really see those.

In my opinion you will get longer life and better power from a Canavac 399LS machine when compared to the Costco Hoover.[/QUOTE]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10867 posts
2203 upvotes
Kingston
alanbrenton wrote:
Feb 15th, 2011 11:57 pm
How does this compare to the Hoover one at Costco for $599 when on special (I believe)?

Already thanked you for the post so I am posing a legitimate question. :)

It looks like the same vacuum unit (I just installed the Hoover from Costco).
Costco deal was $499 on special.
Costco deal had a full install kit.
Costco deal has a better handle.
Costco deal included different accessories, but probably similar value.
[OP]
May 3, 2010
230 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
The hoover's specs compare to the 250LS cana-vac model based off of the suction power. It's difficult to compare two different products and what made me decide on the cana-vac over the hoover was the additional warranty (15 years), extra accessories I was going to buy anyways (quilted wrap and hardwood mop), and the additional suction strength.

At the end of the day, both units look pretty solid compared to some cheaper models and they're both built by cana-vac (apparently).
Jul 10, 2006
41 posts
5 upvotes
Thanks, OP. After researching on RFD and comparing other central vacs. I've pulled the trigger on the same model at the same Home Show price today at Vacmaster. :lol: Joe told me had two left in their inventory. Their crew are planning to install ($125 installation fee) it on Monday. I hope they can fix the low air suction on the second floor.
Jan 18, 2011
3 posts
prairies
looking at picking this unit up today or tomorrow. If anyone has used this, how does is it working for you? Did the vac come with inlets and piping for installation?

thx
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1489 posts
212 upvotes
Markham
we purchased this setup in February during the beginning of the home show. So far we're very happy with it. I opted for the car kit and used it for the first time last week and it worked very well in the garage. Solid unit, great suction and great service from vacmaster
Jan 18, 2011
3 posts
prairies
picked it from vacmaster on tuesday and it was delivered here in manitoba today. Great job!

can't wait to pull the old unit out and place this one in. Will post back on what i think of it.
Jan 18, 2011
3 posts
prairies
just to let everyone know that i installed it on the weekend and am very happy with how very quiet it is. I have it located in the basement with it vented outside and along with the muffler that's included with the package it's unbelievably quiet compared to my old 1974 VentaVac which is what this new unit replaced. The accessory package that came with this deal is fantastic and the wessel werk power head is a joy to use and it sucks up everything. I have a Kirby also and it picked up what the kirby left behind. Also switched out the 30' hose and sock for a 35'. I can pretty much reach every corner of the house upstairs with using one of the two inlets that i have on the main floor with this length.

thanks to vacmaster for getting this out so quickly for me. Their pricing is also great on accessories.