Travel

Warm winter destination outside the box?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2015 2:13 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1312 posts
184 upvotes

Warm winter destination outside the box?

I've never been down to the warm destinations. Thinking about it soon. Any recommendations for beautiful beaches/scenery/calm, where I can get by with English (possibly French, depending, and learning Spanish).

So, yeah, of course there's the major spots, and likely they are the most reasonably priced with everyone going, but I'd want to avoid masses of people, and have some quality relax time.

So, places to go, and recommendations on where to book would be appreciated! Thanks much!
32 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2567 posts
1745 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
bolthead wrote: I've never been down to the warm destinations. Thinking about it soon. Any recommendations for beautiful beaches/scenery/calm, where I can get by with English (possibly French, depending, and learning Spanish).

So, yeah, of course there's the major spots, and likely they are the most reasonably priced with everyone going, but I'd want to avoid masses of people, and have some quality relax time.

So, places to go, and recommendations on where to book would be appreciated! Thanks much!
St Martin- half of the island is French the other half is Dutch.

Islands like the Bahamas, Aruba, St Lucia, Antigua, Barbados, USVI, British Virgin Islands, Grenada and St Kitts are primarily English speaking.

I would not rule out places like Puerto Rico or Mexico- English is widely spoken throughout the tourist areas.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1960 posts
852 upvotes
HK
Maldives, Bora Bora, Bali, Phuket etc...
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12042 posts
2193 upvotes
Mississauga
Bocas del Toro, Panama. It's what the Caribbean used to be before the influx of all-inclusive resorts and mass tourism.
Aug 24, 2011
98 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
The Cook Islands. Less expensive than other South Pacific destinations and not crowded at all.
Jun 29, 2012
660 posts
170 upvotes
Vancouver
I get away every year. The DR is recommended but this year I'm considering Haiti. Mexico is just too touristy for my liking.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1439 posts
319 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Montserrat, Dominica, Barbuda, St. Eustatius (Staas), They're all islands in the Caribbean, but you can only get there from another Caribbean island. You could look into some smaller islands in the Bahama's too.
Jul 15, 2006
219 posts
25 upvotes
Gravenhurst
I recommend Exuma (chain of small islands in the Bahamas) very highly - very relaxed and few tourists! We had empty beaches when we were there in July. It was glorious!
Oct 16, 2015
394 posts
232 upvotes
Quebec
Go east, not south! Try Spain or Portugal, or you can get some great deals for Greece, Croatia (anywhere around the Adriatic).
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12042 posts
2193 upvotes
Mississauga
bertvl wrote: Go east, not south! Try Spain or Portugal, or you can get some great deals for Greece, Croatia (anywhere around the Adriatic).
While nicer than anywhere in Canada during the winter, none of these countries have anything close to "beach weather" during these months.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25246 posts
4349 upvotes
bertvl wrote: Go east, not south! Try Spain or Portugal, or you can get some great deals for Greece, Croatia (anywhere around the Adriatic).
Those places aren't exactly warm in the winter months
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2567 posts
1745 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Not beach weather.

OP Dubai/Abu Dhabi is a great option if you are looking for something different. You could easily spend a week there.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2007
1397 posts
178 upvotes
Western Montreal
Could you porvidde some insights asto specific date range and budget? This could help narrow things down...
May 19, 2013
92 posts
16 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Belize? I know someone who goes there every year and speaks highly of it.