• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2014 6:43 am
Tags:
None
Feb 16, 2003
762 posts
167 upvotes

Warming up time Espresso machine vs Nespresso and cost per shot

I am looking to get either a semi-automatic or a Nespresso.

I am leaning toward an espresso machine, but my main concern is the warming up time, which i believe is about 30 minutes. Wait 30 minutes each time or leave the machine ON the whole days doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Waiting time is my main concern but cost is also a factor.

Cost is supposed to be less with the machine but if you factor in the warming up time or the standby (which apparently there is no energy saving mode = pulling 1500W)

A capsule is about $0.75.

1lb bean is about $20 = 454gr. 7gr per shot ~ 64. So about $0.30. Now add 1 hours of electricity each time ~ $0.15. Even worse if you leave the machine ON the whole day to get a faster espresso in the evening.
So $0.45 for each use. (assuming only 1 shot pulled each time)

So saving is about $0.30 per drink (in my case). I think i'd rather pay that extra than wait 30 minutes each time.

Can regular espresso makers tell me whether you're waiting for the warm up each time? How can you cope with that in the morning?
WTB:
5 replies
Deal Addict
May 27, 2004
1119 posts
451 upvotes
There is no home espresso machine that takes 20 minutes to warm up to my knowledge.

What kind of machine are you looking at getting?
Semi-automatic? Automatic?

Mine usually takes 2-3 minutes, and is an automatic Gaggia Brera.
Even my 3 previous semi-automatics took 3-4 minutes.

In terms of coffee beans, I'm not sure where you live, but they should not be $20/lb. That's way too much.
My preferred place to get beans from is in Toronto at the Longo's on Laird St. It's one of the few stores that has a roaster onsite daily, and he's really knowledgeable. It's $10/lb regular price. $8/lb on sale. Go for a medium roast bean.

Even if you go to a boutique you might be looking at $14-16 a lb.

That is considerably cheaper then any capsule product.
Although Nespresso is pretty good tbh.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1352 posts
1283 upvotes
Calgary
Zen wrote: I am looking to get either a semi-automatic or a Nespresso.

I am leaning toward an espresso machine, but my main concern is the warming up time, which i believe is about 30 minutes. Wait 30 minutes each time or leave the machine ON the whole days doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Waiting time is my main concern but cost is also a factor.

Cost is supposed to be less with the machine but if you factor in the warming up time or the standby (which apparently there is no energy saving mode = pulling 1500W)

A capsule is about $0.75.

1lb bean is about $20 = 454gr. 7gr per shot ~ 64. So about $0.30. Now add 1 hours of electricity each time ~ $0.15. Even worse if you leave the machine ON the whole day to get a faster espresso in the evening.
So $0.45 for each use. (assuming only 1 shot pulled each time)

So saving is about $0.30 per drink (in my case). I think i'd rather pay that extra than wait 30 minutes each time.

Can regular espresso makers tell me whether you're waiting for the warm up each time? How can you cope with that in the morning?
A few things...

While it doesn't actually take 30 minutes to warm up, it's best to wait 30 minutes for all the components to warm up to get optimal results. An espresso shot pulled through a lukewarm portafilter will taste off.

But the upside is that the machine won't draw 1500W for the majority of the time (only for about as long as it takes to boil a relatively small amount of water, and a little to keep it hot here and there)... so your calculation is a bit flawed in that respect.

The other thing is that you'll need a grinder to go with your semi-automatic espresso machine. Something in the $400-$500 range - not sure if you've budgeted for that. There's no way to get decent results if you go any less.

A WeMo switch is a godsend if you're planning to go with the semi-auto and warm up route. On weekdays, my espresso machine wakes up about 15 minutes before I do, and by the time I'm ready to go downstairs, it's warmed up and ready to go. On weekends it's on from 8am until I make my coffee and shut it down... sometimes that's as late as noon. WeMo is great if I'm leaving work and feel like having a coffee when I get home, etc.

The most important thing - how much effort are you willing to invest in it? On a scale of 1-10 in terms of espresso quality, a Nespresso might get you a 6 every time, with little heating up and zero effort. If you just buy an espresso machine and half-ass it, you might get a 3 consistently. If you buy the appropriate gear and put time into learning and practising (and warm up the machine), you can get a 10 out of good semi-auto espresso machine set up.

If you're worried about $0.15 worth of electricity, doesn't sound like it's for you.
Feb 16, 2003
762 posts
167 upvotes
As mentionned, primary concern is warming up time. I included cost to make a comparison and said that for the extra 30c, i'd rather not wait the 30 minutes. Cost is semi-important here.

I did some researches and everywhere (coffeegeek, etc.), there is mention of 15-30 min warming up.

So Strider, do you wait 30 min each morning? Are all "serious" espresso drinkers waiting that warming up time every morning? and evening?

I read somewhere that there is no sleeping mode (even if there is one, the espresso machine is pulling close to maximum wattage)!
WTB:
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1352 posts
1283 upvotes
Calgary
Zen wrote: So Strider, do you wait 30 min each morning? Are all "serious" espresso drinkers waiting that warming up time every morning? and evening?

I read somewhere that there is no sleeping mode (even if there is one, the espresso machine is pulling close to maximum wattage)!
You probably skimmed over my post... (it was pretty long) here it is again:
Strider wrote: A WeMo switch is a godsend if you're planning to go with the semi-auto and warm up route. On weekdays, my espresso machine wakes up about 15 minutes before I do, and by the time I'm ready to go downstairs, it's warmed up and ready to go. On weekends it's on from 8am until I make my coffee and shut it down... sometimes that's as late as noon. WeMo is great if I'm leaving work and feel like having a coffee when I get home, etc.
Yes. All "serious" espresso drinkers will warm up their machines for 20-30 minutes. The hardcore ones leave their machines on 24/7.

A WeMo switch (or cheap $10 timer) will solve your morning problems, assuming you have a consistent routine.

It doesn't have a "sleep mode" per se. Think of it like an electric kettle - once the water boils, the heating element shuts off. If it didn't, there would be no place for the heat to dissipate since it's a closed system. After that, it only cycles on briefly when the pressure (temperature) drops beyond a certain point - on my machine, I can actually hear it cycle on and off, and it's not on that much once it's warm.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
1213 posts
91 upvotes
Kitchener
I didn't buy a good quality espresso machine because I wanted to save money over a pod machine. I bought it because I wanted real espresso. I've tried the shots from a nespresso, and while it was ok I couldn't see it replacing my machine.

Strider was bang on with his comments.

My machine (Quick Mill Silvano) will show that it's up to temperature in about 5 minutes. To get the grouphead warmed up its about 20 minutes. I'm happy to wait as it makes for a better shot.

Then onto the grinder. I started with a Baratza Encore. By no means a cheap grinder and great for drip coffee but I couldn't pull consistent shots. I kept it for drip and bought a Compak K3 and the shots are way better.

Also just because you've spent good money on decent equipment doesn't mean you will be getting great shots automatically. It takes practice. You will waste beans trying to find the right combination of dose, grind and pull time.

I use about 7 grams of beans every day just to flush old grinds out of the grinder.

Finding good beans is another task. Not all roasts are equal. Some roasters don't seem to know what they are doing. You also want to find one that will roast on demand or at least every week so you can get the freshest beans possible.

Don't get me wrong, for me all of the above is money and time well spent but it's not for everyone.

If I didn't want to go through all the above I'd be looking at an automatic machine instead of the nespresso. One that you put your own beans in.