Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto

WARNING: $29 Dollar Duct Cleaning "Special" Becomes $700 Bill

-
-
-

Duct cleaning is a farce, no wonder I see hundreds of ads for it in telephone poles and flyers, look at this video and educate yourselves.

-
-
15 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16451 posts
1512 upvotes
Thornhill
Funny, although I'm sure there are reputable companies which do their stuff. Unfortunately, the article didn't mention this fact or statistics.

And no, I'm not a duct cleaner or related to one.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
769 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kinda obvious. No one's gonna come to your house and clean the ducts for $29.

Common sense people. You get what you pay for. But society now a days is all about CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. Jobs will be outsourced, quality will go down, and your grandkids will have shitty part-time minimum wage jobs in the future.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
427 upvotes
Concord, ON
foodyforlife wrote:
Jun 18th, 2016 12:44 pm

Common sense people. You get what you pay for. But society now a days is all about CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. Jobs will be outsourced, quality will go down, and your grandkids will have shitty part-time minimum wage jobs in the future.
But this RFD...the majority on here and cheap cheap cheap and complain about overpaid everybody except themselves and complain about 5 cent plastic bags or that takeout containers are different than ones they give to people who eat in for leftovers
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
354 upvotes
Toronto
foodyforlife wrote:
Jun 18th, 2016 12:44 pm

I couldnt have said it better myself. Market place did a similar segment on this about india call center duct cleaners
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/ ... -air-ducts
Good thorough duct cleaning costs minimum $400, any less and you are going to get hosed
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16451 posts
1512 upvotes
Thornhill
Thinking about it twice - I'm not sure what the issue is... If they show up and suddenly give you a quote for $700 when you thought it would be $29, wouldn't you just decline the service? Why was the guy even asked to start working?

I had a guy show up from Mississauga - quoted me a price then told me something else when he got here - couldn't contact when tried calling the sales manager, told him to leave. And I think it was less than $100 difference, not $670.

bjl
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16899 posts
4577 upvotes
Toronto
You have to watch these scumbags like a hawk.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16451 posts
1512 upvotes
Thornhill
carmaster wrote:
Jun 18th, 2016 1:47 pm
You have to watch these scumbags like a hawk.
Yeah. If I were to hire one, I'd follow them around to each vent. That's weird too - who the hell carries a huge vacuum around the house?

bjl
Apr 16, 2012
232 posts
66 upvotes
London
We had some duct cleaners come in on a $29 groupon. It covered 10 vents, each additional vent was $7 and it was all vents or none. We have a dozen vents so it came out to like $50 with taxes, if you read the fine print and aren't an idiot you won't get a $700 bill?
Jun 8, 2007
967 posts
229 upvotes
Mississauga
CalmThatCat wrote:
Jun 18th, 2016 10:39 pm
We had some duct cleaners come in on a $29 groupon. It covered 10 vents, each additional vent was $7 and it was all vents or none. We have a dozen vents so it came out to like $50 with taxes, if you read the fine print and aren't an idiot you won't get a $700 bill?
How did they do? And how do you know they did the job well?

We have a 3-year-old house, so not something we need to worry about right now, but interested in planning for the future to see how some of these places do.
Apr 16, 2012
232 posts
66 upvotes
London
Bleys007 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2016 2:35 pm
How did they do? And how do you know they did the job well?

We have a 3-year-old house, so not something we need to worry about right now, but interested in planning for the future to see how some of these places do.
They did pretty good from what I can tell. I followed them around to see what they were doing and my god a ton of ***** came out of the vents; we moved in last fall and the lady who lived here before clearly never cleaned them when she lived here. We switched out furnace filters after they finished as well, we've noticed a lot less dust in the air, for the price we paid I was more than satisfied.
Apr 8, 2010
668 posts
314 upvotes
toronto
DIrty-D wrote:
Jun 18th, 2016 1:27 pm
I couldnt have said it better myself. Market place did a similar segment on this about india call center duct cleaners
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/ ... -air-ducts
Good thorough duct cleaning costs minimum $400, any less and you are going to get hosed
LOL

i got one of these calls, told them sure come out and would love my ducts cleaned. gave them my address and i got follow up call from the company doing the work to confirm my address. apparently they showed up... guess what? I live in a condo!! LOL

think they were kinda mad LOL
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1056 posts
184 upvotes
what if there is more than one guy that comes into your home and one guy goes to the basement while the other guy is staying upstairs. your home alone. how do you keep track of both the scumbags.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
468 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
t3359 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2016 2:26 pm
Give them the address of the Air Canada Center
That would be at least $700 I think.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do