Personal Finance

Warning about -econsumer.equifax free credit report

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2013 6:48 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 2, 2012
24 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa

Warning about -econsumer.equifax free credit report

Yesterday 12/15/13, In this redflagdeals thead equifax-free-trial-credit-score-1203048/ I clicked the link in the OP’s post, I mistakenly thought I was dealing directly with Equifax and their outsourced phone support. It turns out “econsumer” is a foreign owned company based out of India.

Here is what happened and why I’m worried.
After filling in online form, and giving them very sensitive information- SIN#, date of birth, credit card# etc., their website took me to a page with a message about a problem with my info (even though I know for certain that I entered everything correctly) and said to call 1-866-243-0734 , when I called the person that answered barely spoke english we had an extremely hard time communicating. Anyways he did something on his computer then I was able to log in to their website and get my credit report.

Today 12/16/13 I get a text alert from Scotia Visa “A transaction has occurred outside of Canada on Credit Card 4527*****605**** for $14.95”. I promptly call the econsumer company in India again, he tells me that it was a mistake on Visa’s part, and It’s just a hold for $14.95 on my card for when the 30 day trial is over, I tell him that doesn’t make sense and he replies not to worry that I’ll see a credit on my visa for the $14.95 in a few days.


I don’t care about the 14.95 but am very worried about all the private information some fishy guy in India now has about me. I’m not sure what to do now.
10 replies
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Are you sure he is in India?

Not like banks don't have their call centres in India...
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 10, 2013
604 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
I think you are a jerk.

The only credit card fraud(s) I had was in Canada. No other place on earth compares to it. I never had a single credit card fraud overseas.
Sr. Member
Jun 5, 2007
973 posts
205 upvotes
York
provocateur wrote: I think you are a jerk.

The only credit card fraud(s) I had was in Canada. No other place on earth compares to it. I never had a single credit card fraud overseas.
Thanks for showing up
Sr. Member
Jun 5, 2007
973 posts
205 upvotes
York
rfdm44 wrote: Yesterday 12/15/13, In this redflagdeals thead equifax-free-trial-credit-score-1203048/ I clicked the link in the OP’s post, I mistakenly thought I was dealing directly with Equifax and their outsourced phone support. It turns out “econsumer” is a foreign owned company based out of India.

Here is what happened and why I’m worried.
After filling in online form, and giving them very sensitive information- SIN#, date of birth, credit card# etc., their website took me to a page with a message about a problem with my info (even though I know for certain that I entered everything correctly) and said to call 1-866-243-0734 , when I called the person that answered barely spoke english we had an extremely hard time communicating. Anyways he did something on his computer then I was able to log in to their website and get my credit report.

Today 12/16/13 I get a text alert from Scotia Visa “A transaction has occurred outside of Canada on Credit Card 4527*****605**** for $14.95”. I promptly call the econsumer company in India again, he tells me that it was a mistake on Visa’s part, and It’s just a hold for $14.95 on my card for when the 30 day trial is over, I tell him that doesn’t make sense and he replies not to worry that I’ll see a credit on my visa for the $14.95 in a few days.


I don’t care about the 14.95 but am very worried about all the private information some fishy guy in India now has about me. I’m not sure what to do now.
OK, let's just stop the waterworks for a sec.

Yes this is completely legitimate. I sign up for this about once a year then call in to cancel the free trial afterwards, never have had an issue. I tend to get reps who are conversant inEnglish so perhaps you just need to call back again and explain the situation. And why are you giving your SIN to pull your credit report, it's hardly necessary.

https://www.econsumer.equifax.ca/canadaotc/login.ehtml
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21679 posts
2451 upvotes
rfdm44 wrote: Yesterday 12/15/13, In this redflagdeals thead equifax-free-trial-credit-score-1203048/ I clicked the link in the OP’s post, I mistakenly thought I was dealing directly with Equifax and their outsourced phone support. It turns out “econsumer” is a foreign owned company based out of India.

Here is what happened and why I’m worried.
After filling in online form, and giving them very sensitive information- SIN#, date of birth, credit card# etc., their website took me to a page with a message about a problem with my info (even though I know for certain that I entered everything correctly) and said to call 1-866-243-0734 , when I called the person that answered barely spoke english we had an extremely hard time communicating. Anyways he did something on his computer then I was able to log in to their website and get my credit report.

Today 12/16/13 I get a text alert from Scotia Visa “A transaction has occurred outside of Canada on Credit Card 4527*****605**** for $14.95”. I promptly call the econsumer company in India again, he tells me that it was a mistake on Visa’s part, and It’s just a hold for $14.95 on my card for when the 30 day trial is over, I tell him that doesn’t make sense and he replies not to worry that I’ll see a credit on my visa for the $14.95 in a few days.


I don’t care about the 14.95 but am very worried about all the private information some fishy guy in India now has about me. I’m not sure what to do now.
econsumer is a domain name, under the Equifax domain. You dealt with Equifax.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2006
2389 posts
181 upvotes
yes but the call center is outsourced to India
Banned
Dec 11, 2013
97 posts
17 upvotes
Winnipeg
provocateur wrote: I think you are a jerk.

The only credit card fraud(s) I had was in Canada. No other place on earth compares to it. I never had a single credit card fraud overseas.
Easy to tell where this guy's home land is......
Kasakato wrote: econsumer is a domain name, under the Equifax domain. You dealt with Equifax.
+1

Hundreds or even thousands that have used this website can't be wrong
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 2, 2012
24 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
provocateur wrote: I think you are a jerk.

The only credit card fraud(s) I had was in Canada. No other place on earth compares to it. I never had a single credit card fraud overseas.
I think you need to take a good look in a mirror. I would have made the exact same post if it had been Russia or any other Country, a fraud committed in Canada is easier to trace.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 2, 2012
24 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
bilingualmk wrote: OK, let's just stop the waterworks for a sec.

Yes this is completely legitimate. I sign up for this about once a year then call in to cancel the free trial afterwards, never have had an issue. I tend to get reps who are conversant inEnglish so perhaps you just need to call back again and explain the situation. And why are you giving your SIN to pull your credit report, it's hardly necessary.

https://www.econsumer.equifax.ca/canadaotc/login.ehtml
You can not get your report from that link without entering a SIN #!
On line fraud and phishing are ramped, no waterworks just legitimate concern.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 2, 2012
24 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
Kasakato wrote: econsumer is a domain name, under the Equifax domain. You dealt with Equifax.
Thanks. Didn't know that and was obviously wrong, worried for nothing. Sorry for starting this thread guys.
Would a mod please remove this thread.

Top