Shopping Discussion

WARNING - All Source Online Orders MUST Be Returned by May 30 - No Extensions for Online Orders!

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2020 4:03 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14240 posts
4406 upvotes
Montreal

WARNING - All Source Online Orders MUST Be Returned by May 30 - No Extensions for Online Orders!

I stupidly bought an expensive laptop from The Source online that arrived DOA and I have been calling every week trying to figure out when I can return it in-store and I have been told repeatedly:

"Don't worry, we are extending the return period and you can return it when we open up the stores"

It turns out that was a scam to steal your money.

Now it turns out that ONLY in-store items have the return policy extended to June 30, and ALL online orders must be returned by May 30 (2 days from now) even if you don't have one of the few open stores within your area.

I called back this morning and was told that "That's the rule and you we're not extending online orders".

All our strip mall stores were closed long ago, and they are now all located in major malls, and the closest open store is over 1 hour drive away and wait times (due to people slowly figuring out the May 30 deadline) are like 6 hours.

The Source is pure scum to be pulling some retroactive BS like this, openly lying to customers who call and effectively stealing $ millions in DOA items, just because they open a minuscule number of stores in some remote/non-mall areas.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
9 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14100 posts
14715 upvotes
Oakville
JackWhyte wrote: I stupidly bought an expensive laptop from The Source online that arrived DOA and I have been calling every week trying to figure out when I can return it in-store and I have been told repeatedly:

"Don't worry, we are extending the return period and you can return it when we open up the stores"

It turns out that was a scam to steal your money.

Now it turns out that ONLY in-store items have the return policy extended to June 30, and ALL online orders must be returned by May 30 (2 days from now) even if you don't have one of the few open stores within your area.

I called back this morning and was told that "That's the rule and you we're not extending online orders".

All our strip mall stores were closed long ago, and they are now all located in major malls, and the closest open store is over 1 hour drive away and wait times (due to people slowly figuring out the May 30 deadline) are like 6 hours.

The Source is pure scum to be pulling some retroactive BS like this, openly lying to customers who call and effectively stealing $ millions in DOA items, just because they open a minuscule number of stores in some remote/non-mall areas.
Do a credit card charge back if they won't let you return it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14240 posts
4406 upvotes
Montreal
engineered wrote: Do a credit card charge back if they won't let you return it.
Sure, or go to small claims, etc. ... but I just can't believe they would take advantage of the pandemic so blatantly. I can only assume that there is some consumer protection law that disallows them from scamming in-store purchases, but freely allows online rip-offs.

The Source is effectively stealing money from their customers and using the pandemic as an excuse, and when I called, the droning lady CSR just kept telling me "Well, we have some stores open - can't you drive?" Bitch! It's over an hour drive and what if I'm a senior with no car? What if I can only use public transportation? What if I live i a remote area with only a few stores, which are all closed?

I guess The Source expects those people to just steal a car and take a cross-country trip to the closest of the 1% of stores that are open.

I know Bell is the devil, but The Source has always been good to me in terms of customer service, but I guess their parent company's colors are finally shining through.

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5390 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote: Sure, or go to small claims, etc. ... but I just can't believe they would take advantage of the pandemic so blatantly. I can only assume that there is some consumer protection law that disallows them from scamming in-store purchases, but freely allows online rip-offs.

The Source is effectively stealing money from their customers and using the pandemic as an excuse, and when I called, the droning lady CSR just kept telling me "Well, we have some stores open - can't you drive?" Bitch! It's over an hour drive and what if I'm a senior with no car? What if I can only use public transportation? What if I live i a remote area with only a few stores, which are all closed?

I guess The Source expects those people to just steal a car and take a cross-country trip to the closest of the 1% of stores that are open.

I know Bell is the devil, but The Source has always been good to me in terms of customer service, but I guess their parent company's colors are finally shining through.
The source has always been crappy to be in terms of customer service (at least 2 occasions). Only way I'd buy from them again is if I know I do not need to return it (something that is unlikely to be defective).
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4089 posts
713 upvotes
Richmond
There's a reason why they call bell hell
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6963 posts
2599 upvotes
Markham
bluebellrose wrote: There's a reason why they call bell hell
OP forgot who owns the source
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3329 posts
1062 upvotes
You can't mail it back?

I guess it wouldn't get there in 2 days....
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14240 posts
4406 upvotes
Montreal
Squirrel99 wrote: You can't mail it back?

I guess it wouldn't get there in 2 days....
Yep, and shipping is on your dime too - no idea what would happen when the Source got it back after the return period was over - they'd probably either toss it out or steal it, and you'd really be up the creek.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7553 posts
3814 upvotes
Alberta
I find it amazing that The Source is still in business. I can't even remember when the last time I even bought anything there.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15609 posts
3250 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote: I find it amazing that The Source is still in business. I can't even remember when the last time I even bought anything there.
I'm surprised they haven't merged their Bell stores with Source Stores.
THAT makes some sense.
Order (or switch to) Bell Fibe and get $100 of the price of a TV...all in the same place.