• Jul 4th, 2020 12:11 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16571 posts
2293 upvotes

Warning: Canadian Tire Return Policy with Opened Goods

Hello Everyone,

I'm sure many people know (and many do not!), but with the Christmas season upon us, I thought it would be prudent to remind everyone of Canadian Tire's return policy:
RETURNS POLICY
Unopened items, with a receipt, in original packaging and returned within 90 days of purchase will receive a refund to the original method of payment** or will receive an exchange. Items that are opened, damaged and/or not in resalable condition may not be eligible for a refund or exchange. Click on the tabs below for a list of exceptions and exclusions to our returns policy.

Valid photo ID may be required.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/customer- ... olicy.html

I was at Richmond Hill Canadian Tire today and they were very stringent regarding the unopened part. Three people ahead of me had their returns refused.

So best to avoid Canadian Tire and shop at a more accommodating retailer especially if you are buying the item for someone else.
298 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1021 upvotes
coolspot wrote: So best to avoid Canadian Tire and shop at a more accommodating retailer especially if you are buying the item for someone else.
Good advice for any time of the year. Thanks clicked OP.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Mar 23, 2013
706 posts
125 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks for the heads up. Wouldn't have thought they were like this
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16594 posts
6768 upvotes
I think the phrase "may not" is important. Canadian Tire is tired of people buying something to use it, and then returning it when they are done. This return policy allows them to enforce that. It's really in the best interests of customers, because we all pay for the deadbeats that buy something and return it just because they are done with it.

I have never encountered an issue returning an opened product at CT when I am friendly and respectful to the person on the other side. I have seen many open-box items returned as well without issue.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1604 posts
443 upvotes
St. John's
In my experience CT is one of the worst retailers for returns. I tend to avoid that place.

I remember their price protection policy several years ago was almost impossible. I think I had one day from the beginning of the new flyer to get it. I went in during a blizzard to make sure to get it during the generous one-day window!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16571 posts
2293 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: I think the phrase "may not" is important. Canadian Tire is tired of people buying something to use it, and then returning it when they are done. This return policy allows them to enforce that. It's really in the best interests of customers, because we all pay for the deadbeats that buy something and return it just because they are done with it.
Today was the first time I've seen them enforcing the rule. Their prices are not low enough to justify the possibility of a final sale!
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18442 posts
6466 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote: First time I've seen them enforcing the rule. Their prices are not low enough top justify the possibility of a final sale.
+1. This is a terrible idea. People will buy items elsewhere where they can return if they don't like it. I can see them putting restrictions like power tools etc. but on everything? Come on!
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10725 posts
1870 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote: +1. This is a terrible idea. People will buy items elsewhere where they can return if they don't like it. I can see them putting restrictions like power tools etc. but on everything? Come on!
Blame these polocies on people who've abused the system by basically renting products.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18442 posts
6466 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote: Blame these polocies on people who've abused the system by basically renting products.
+1. I have seen people return snow blowers and power tools without the box. The same thing happened with Costco too and they changed their policy.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10725 posts
1870 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote: +1. I have seen people return snow blowers and power tools without the box. The same thing happened with Costco too and they changed their policy.
Whoever allowed these returns was a complete idiot especially with no box or packaging at all.
Dec 11, 2010
589 posts
396 upvotes
carmaster wrote: +1. I have seen people return snow blowers and power tools without the box. The same thing happened with Costco too and they changed their policy.
Damn..that is just incredible lowlife..no wonder retailers change its return rule.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2008
1228 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
I knew I heard this from one of the workers when I was at the customer service last time, I guess its true.
Thanks op
Banned
Nov 23, 2014
83 posts
24 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Canada tire really let me down, in the month of shopping, what do they wanna to do?
Sep 1, 2012
64 posts
18 upvotes
Edmonton
Stanley products sold at CTs have some diff policy too for returns or exhanges.. Please ask to cashier or their customer service first if you're planning to buy anything Stanley..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9019 posts
2559 upvotes
London
RahuLPateL wrote: Stanley products sold at CTs have some diff policy too for returns or exhanges.. Please ask to cashier or their customer service first if you're planning to buy anything Stanley..
Soooooooo what's the policy?