• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 1:05 am
[OP]
Banned
Aug 11, 2018
996 posts
927 upvotes

*Warning* Do NOT purchase extended warranty thru the carrier

In December 2018 a friend of mine purchased an iPhone XS through Fido and they sold her the extra warranty which covers accidental damage, it was through Brightstar.

Fast forward a couple of months, she cracked her iPhone screen and of course, contacted Fido, and they arranged for her to get the device fixed. After going through the correct channels, Fido advised her to take the phone to Fonelab and get the device fixed. She goes to pickup the phone and the screen isn't recognizing any input whatsoever (didn't even bother checking to see if it works after installation) so they put in a second screen. Phone works at the time and she leaves pissed off due to all the time wasted.

Over the course of 2-3 months, she starts to experience intermittent ghost touching. For instance, she would be typing a message and the camera would open, pics would start getting sent, etc.

Obviously soured by the poor experience with Fonelab, we made an appointment to get the phone serviced at Apple. I was concerned that they wouldn't service the phone since the part is likely not an Apple part as from my research Fonelab was not authorized by Apple to do repairs (which means they were using cheap/fake parts from China, that you could buy off eBay for $50-100). Turns out they put in a cheap 3rd party display and Apple was unable to do anything in regards to the display as it wasn't a genuine part. Luckily they did over to replace the screen for her, but obviously at a cost.

Moral of the store, do not purchase extended warranty through carriers because the company fixing your iPhone will use knock off/fake parts to repair the device, leading to further problems down the road and potentially being denied warranty service on the rest of your hardware.

https://www.fonelab.ca
https://www.brightstarprotect.com

After doing more research... straight from brighstars website:
There is no assurance, representation, or warranty that any replacement equipment will be identical or offer the same function as the item being replaced.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4130 posts
4355 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
In other news read the T&C before paying for a warranty.

Unless it's like Costco where you know they'll make it right i generally avoid the extended warranties. Most credit cards gives you an extra year anyways.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2079 posts
1380 upvotes
Durham
Moral of the story is people who buy iPhones and want warranty buy AppleCare+. Not 3rd party warranty.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 11, 2018
996 posts
927 upvotes
porksoda wrote: I think "a friend of yours" had to learn life through difficult experience(s).

Why would he/she/it/unicorn would get extended warranty through provider?!?!?!
Not everyone has friends and family that can educate them on these issues with these warranties. This thread is for information purposes so others avoid making the same mistake.