Shopping Discussion

WARNING: Do NOT use McDonald's app to pay..

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2020 4:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2551 posts
1400 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

My McD's App Got Hacked!

I have 4 free coffees in my McD app. Within 5 minutes, received 2 McD receipts in my email that the coupons were used in Quebec. I am in Vancouver.

I didn't use a weak password. I use Lastpass!

I have already changed my password.

EDIT: Changing password doesn't even work. 3rd unauthorized transaction.
EDIT2: All of my freebies are gone now. 4 unauthorized transactions in total. 2 of them with the new password.
Last edited by AsianXL on Mar 25th, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
193 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13898 posts
8993 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
maybe your phone is hacked .
AsianXL wrote: I have 4 free coffees in my McD app. Within 5 minutes, received 2 McD receipts in my email that the coupons were used in Quebec. I am in Vancouver.

I didn't use a weak password. I use Lastpass!

I have already changed my password.

EDIT: Changing password doesn't even work. 3rd unauthorized transaction.
EDIT2: All of my freebies are gone now. 4 unauthorized transactions in total. 2 of them with the new password. It looks like a system-wide security breach. Be warned guys! I have already froze my CC.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2551 posts
1400 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Cheapo-Findo wrote: maybe your phone is hacked .
I have had eset mobile security running since day 1. It found nothing. Just ran another scan with Kaspersky Antivirus. It found nothing.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13898 posts
8993 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I would remove all banking apps just in case.
AsianXL wrote: I have had eset mobile security running since day 1. It found nothing. Just ran another scan with Kaspersky Antivirus. It found nothing.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Banned
Mar 22, 2019
6 posts
6 upvotes
Doubt it's system wide. No other reports including my own account.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2551 posts
1400 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
It happened again this morning. Someone is using my account to redeem a free offer.
This is so bizarre. I've already changed my password already, but somebody is using my account in Quebec at the same McDonald's.
Jun 6, 2009
21 posts
20 upvotes
Someone did used my credit card saved under my McDonald's app to buy $13 worth of McDonald somewhere in toronto. Seems like they have have used my credit card number as the card is with me and my app doesn't show any receipts from my account. Seems like there is a breach of data in Mcdonalds app.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3540 posts
2193 upvotes
Kitchener
So I got the McDonald's app to get my kid his "$5" value meal and used my CC information to pay. Big mistake.

Yesterday I had 7 charges on my card, 2 from Alberta, 1 from Manitoba, 1 from Ontario and 3 from Nova Scotia. Total charged were $73.73.

I got a hold of McDonalds and after being on the phone for 3 hours they said that I must have ordered the food, even claiming that I must have butt ordered it. I also froze my credit card (you can freeze and unfreeze card whenever you want to) and then I went ahead an ordered a new card -- and the CC company is refunding me.

Now I look around here and on the web and apparently this is a very common issue. So I am wondering what people are using. I am on Android.

But I'd strongly suggest that people ditch the app regardless.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
4478 posts
2720 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Sorry, I was hungry. Flushed Face
😱
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16734 posts
6967 upvotes
How do you know it's an issue with the app and not your credentials being compromised?

It seems a bit...premature...to blame the app when it's likely something to do with your credentials. It's common nowadays for passwords to be hacked and when you use the same email address / password across multiple sites, you end up with compromises on multiple sites when it's been discovered. When linking a payment method to an account you should exercise a higher level of password security than you would for say, Redflagdeals. This includes not reusing passwords.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2700 posts
2076 upvotes
Winnipeg
I had two fraudulent charges last night as well at a restaurant in Montreal. McDonald's Canada at 1-888-424-4622 basically said there is nothing they could do and they would cancel my account.

Called Capital One they said this is happening alot and that they will reverse the charges but they will be following up with McDonald's as this is happening alot. They cancelled my card and also issued a new card number.

McDonald's claims they don't store the actual credit card number but use a token.

It wasted an hour of my time this morning
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1684 posts
601 upvotes
Calgary
Definitely mcdonald's app. i added my CC to the app to do mobile order as it was so much convenient and my office is in front of a MCDs. Compromised within 2 days. Had some jackass order 180 worth of order in Montreal. The order was split equally between nuggets and Big mac. CIBC refunded me and cancelled my card. what a hassle.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3540 posts
2193 upvotes
Kitchener
TrevorK wrote: How do you know it's an issue with the app and not your credentials being compromised?

It seems a bit...premature...to blame the app when it's likely something to do with your credentials. It's common nowadays for passwords to be hacked and when you use the same email address / password across multiple sites, you end up with compromises on multiple sites when it's been discovered. When linking a payment method to an account you should exercise a higher level of password security than you would for say, Redflagdeals. This includes not reusing passwords.
I use a different password for every site that I use -- simply for the reason you mention. Exception is for non-cash, and non-email site (like here). Being that it was not a typical password and it seemed to have been hacked in different province.....anyway, the CC, as I said, is covering. Apparently I wasn't the only customer that got ripped off.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4034 posts
1695 upvotes
Quebec
Its been months that this issue occur. Mcdonald keep saying the same bullshit that its not their app. That u must order and pickup your order in order to have ur cc charged. That's nothing more than bullshit, the app auto order stuff randomly, auto charge ur cc, then the mcdonald location worker, never see anybody coming to pickup the order.

Its a complete mess, a huge mess imo, but hey... Its not their fault. Its us...
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20290 posts
827 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Pretty scary stuff guys. I haven't incurred any fradulent charges yet, but would it be safer if I don't save my CC in the app? I only go to McDonald's for one thing and that is coffee. I rarely ever buy anything else. The app does make it easy for my coffee runs as there's a McDonald's near my house and work. I'm worried that something like this will happen and then no one takes responsibility for the fradulent charges, but then again, maybe I'll have a case since I rarely spend more than $3 per transaction at McDonald's.