Pets

Warning dog owners - be careful letting your dogs off leash where they were previously allowed !

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2020 9:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1531 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto

Warning dog owners - be careful letting your dogs off leash where they were previously allowed !

I just got ticketed for $880 for letting my dog off leash in Riverdale Park West in Toronto. For those who don't know, this is a huge park, probably several hundred acres or more, where dogs are allowed off-leash.

Just before I got there, I passed by several City of Toronto cars who were parked at the top, all of them apparently staring at their phones. I had no idea what there was doing and specifically that I was no longer allowed to let my dog off leash here any longer. If I did I certainly wouldn't have let the dog off having seen bylaw officers ! When this was explained to me, I expected to get a warning, but I got the full $880 along with another poor gentleman who had driven to the park precisely to give his dog a run.

To be clear - there are NO signs indicating that dogs are no longer allowed off leash. There are signs saying that "amenities" are closed, including playgrounds, etc. Apparently, the right to let a dog off leash is considered an amenity. I had heard that some off leash parks had been closed but I had understood this was the smaller, fenced off ones that exist purely for dogs to be let off leash, and where large numbers of owners were congregating. Again, this area is hundreds of acres and at the time (8 PM) there were maybe a dozen people in the entire space.

Interestingly, all the officers were parked at the top of the hill and ticketed only the two of us that were there. At the time we were ticketed, there were at least three other dogs running free at the bottom of the park. I guess it was too cold for them to drag themselves down the hill and pursue these very dangerous offenders.

I am beyond angry and emailed my city councillor. I plan to fight it, just to point out the irony of having people go to the post office to mail a plea and then show up in court in person when social distancing is supposed to be happening.
13 replies
Oct 2, 2018
299 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
What breed of dog, size, weight?

If as few of people were there which seems reasonable knowing that park it should have been a warning and nothing more.

I can see if you let a larger size breed off leash as it scares people as they do not know temperaments of the particular pets, with no one around however then it really is overkill to ticket.

We take our tiny dog (18 pound Shitzsu Havanese blend) in our local schoolyard (empty these days) or local residential park and never had an issue. If anyone even comes close we put leash back on , then off again once fully open space. Having such a small breed doesnt attract attention.

Fight the ticket in Hope's it can be reduced.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24645 posts
1806 upvotes
Markham, ON
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/03/25/ ... aygrounds/

"Playgrounds, sports fields, basketball and tennis courts, off-leash dog parks, skateboard and BMX parks, picnic areas, outdoor exercise equipment and other parks amenities, as well as parking lots attached to its parks system, will all be affected by the closure."
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
556 upvotes
M1C
City of Toronto dog off-leash areas open today

#CityofTO has opened its more than 70 dog off-leash areas following the Province of Ontario’s amendments to an order under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act that permit the use of dog off-leash areas.

Signage is being installed at the off-leash areas to remind dog owners of the importance of #physicaldistancing to help stop the spread of #COVID19. People must always stay 2 metres (6ft), or the length of three dogs, apart while visiting the City’s parks and dog off-leash areas.

Details on the reopening of park amenities that are part of the province's first phase of recovery will be announced in the coming days, as the City finalizes operational plans in consultation with @TOPublicHealth.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1185 posts
318 upvotes
Ignorance of the law (or bylaw) is no excuse.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17623 posts
2224 upvotes
Out west
Password wrote: Ignorance of the law (or bylaw) is no excuse.
So you know every bylaw of every city you have ever visited then? Or even driving through that town or city?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1185 posts
318 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: So you know every bylaw of every city you have ever visited then? Or even driving through that town or city?
No, but I am always cognizant that different jurisdictions may have different laws, and that contravening those laws may have consequences. For example, some provinces/states used to (I don't know if any still do) restrict right-hand turns on red lights. If you made a turn in a jurisdiction that didn't allow it, and you got a ticket, you have to pay it. Period.

Whining on an internet forum doesn't make you right.
Jul 31, 2017
651 posts
275 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: So you know every bylaw of every city you have ever visited then? Or even driving through that town or city?
No but when there are shutdowns during a pandemic it is only common sense to check!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17623 posts
2224 upvotes
Out west
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote: No but when there are shutdowns during a pandemic it is only common sense to check!
So you check every town you will visit and drive through? I can give you a random town and you can tell me all its bylaws?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17623 posts
2224 upvotes
Out west
waitin4BOOST wrote: You really shouldn't be visiting and driving through any town during a pandemic.

Lets keep this going!!
Really? Well our province is on Phase 2 and not in a state of emergency. So you are saying its wrong for me to be in a vehicle and drive through a town?

How am I passing Corona virus to anyone driving through a town

Dont fall off your high horse when you get off.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17623 posts
2224 upvotes
Out west
waitin4BOOST wrote: Man your like my co-worker, please don't take every one too serious...or feel like you need to correct the stupidity of the world.

Now I can get off my horse, they sure are beautiful animals....oof!
But yet you need to say something, correct?
Sep 14, 2012
862 posts
519 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Password wrote: For example, some provinces/states used to (I don't know if any still do) restrict right-hand turns on red lights. If you made a turn in a jurisdiction that didn't allow it, and you got a ticket, you have to pay it. Period.
I'm in one of the jurisdictions that does not allow right turns on red (Montreal). Quebec I believe was the last province to where right turns on red were not allowed (not sure of the exact time frame). In the province of Quebec now, you can turn right on red except on the island of Montreal and except where signs prohibit it. The only other place that I know of where you can't turn right on red in North America is New York City.
Apr 2, 2009
181 posts
51 upvotes
mississauga
Don’t listen to these people, you fight the fight good sir.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25048 posts
4242 upvotes
shannoniyer wrote: Don’t listen to these people, you fight the fight good sir.
Agreed. Where's the common sense? A guy standing by himself in an area that is 100+ acres is no threat to anyone. Fight the ticket. Complain to Global, CBC, CTV, your MPP, MP, city councilors, etc. That's an absolutely ridiculous ticket.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)