Shopping Discussion

Warning - Groupon just deactivated my account without notice - keep track of your Groupons/etc

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2017 12:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9477 posts
1027 upvotes
GTA

Warning - Groupon just deactivated my account without notice - keep track of your Groupons/etc

Saw a promo posted on here last night so tried logging into my Groupon account. It wouldn't let me log into my account with my password so I tried to reset my password and it said my e-mail didnt' exist. I knew for sure that it was the correct e-mail so I googled it and saw that they "deactive" peoples account for some reason and I had to call in to get it re-activated. I called in this morning and they re-activate my account with no reason why it was de-activated. I couldn't find anything in the FAQ about this. I asked the agent and they just said "due to inactivity". I asked her to check why it was deactivated without notice and she came back and said I hadn't bought anything for 1 year.

To me this feels like a scam. I asked for a supervisor to call me back to give me more details (I want to see the actual terms/conditions that say they will remove an account after a year... with Groupons this in the account!).
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5341 posts
4600 upvotes
YLSF wrote: Saw a promo posted on here last night so tried logging into my Groupon account. It wouldn't let me log into my account with my password so I tried to reset my password and it said my e-mail didnt' exist. I knew for sure that it was the correct e-mail so I googled it and saw that they "deactive" peoples account for some reason and I had to call in to get it re-activated. I called in this morning and they re-activate my account with no reason why it was de-activated. I couldn't find anything in the FAQ about this. I asked the agent and they just said "due to inactivity". I asked her to check why it was deactivated without notice and she came back and said I hadn't bought anything for 1 year.

To me this feels like a scam. I asked for a supervisor to call me back to give me more details (I want to see the actual terms/conditions that say they will remove an account after a year... with Groupons this in the account!).
Is it possible you have multiple accounts for groupon.ca and groupon.com ?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9477 posts
1027 upvotes
GTA
superfresh89 wrote: Is it possible you have multiple accounts for groupon.ca and groupon.com ?
That wasn't the issue for me but could see it being an issue for others. I had always used Groupon.com vs .ca. It was customer service that sold me the account was "de-activated" too vs saying I should login via .ca or something.

If anyone is reading this and hasn't bought something for a year or so, please try to log-in and report back. I feel like they are doing this on purpose to make liabilities "disappear"... I am guessing if they de-activate those accounts they can remove those Groupons from their books...
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
3768 posts
1739 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Same thing happened to me. I may have multiple accounts though.. :-) I bought a groupon for $5 yesterday, can't log in today, should've printed it yesterday... Emailed them to see what's up, waiting for response. Will do a charge back for the $5 if they don't help.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
Do you know the definition of a scam?
Because this isn't it!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2015
1829 posts
1087 upvotes
Laval, QC
YLSF wrote: Saw a promo posted on here last night so tried logging into my Groupon account. It wouldn't let me log into my account with my password so I tried to reset my password and it said my e-mail didnt' exist. I knew for sure that it was the correct e-mail so I googled it and saw that they "deactive" peoples account for some reason and I had to call in to get it re-activated. I called in this morning and they re-activate my account with no reason why it was de-activated. I couldn't find anything in the FAQ about this. I asked the agent and they just said "due to inactivity". I asked her to check why it was deactivated without notice and she came back and said I hadn't bought anything for 1 year.

This happened to me as well, but I didn't realize that as I have multiple accounts
however, I would just create a new account whenever I need to buy something from them, got a 25% off coupon anyway.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9477 posts
1027 upvotes
GTA
MrsPotato wrote: Do you know the definition of a scam?
Because this isn't it!
That is why I said "this feels like a scam"... It seems to me that they are purposely de-activating large number of accounts for people that have active/usable GroupOns. When you go to reset your password it says you don't have an account. To me it looks like the are doing this on purpose in hopes that people will just create a new account if they want to buy something and will not use up stored Groupons. I looked through their Terms and Conditions and it doesn't seem to mention exactly what is considered an "inactive" account.
Sure seems like an intentional business decision to me to their benefit to reduce their liability.

If I went to login to my account and it said "please note your account has been de-activated, please contact us for more information" I would probably give them a pass but this isn't what is happening here.
Mar 28, 2017
70 posts
16 upvotes
warning: if you have too many "pending payments" they will lockup account and take away any groupon money you had in account with no recourse. I lost $20 because their system was overloaded and my order kept going into "processing" status (not declined).

One time I had to file credit card dispute because their system said it was refunded to card but money never returned to card.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
3768 posts
1739 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
b0ne wrote: Same thing happened to me. I may have multiple accounts though.. :-) I bought a groupon for $5 yesterday, can't log in today, should've printed it yesterday... Emailed them to see what's up, waiting for response. Will do a charge back for the $5 if they don't help.
Emailing them didn't help much, apparently I emailed groupon.ca support instead of groupon.com, did you know groupon.ca is only for Quebec? Then groupon.com support said I had started a dispute with my financial institution, which I hadn't. I called support and they re-activated my de-activated account, I was then able to log in and print my groupon.

The End.