Automotive

Warning for pleasure use on car icbc

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2019 12:41 pm
Dec 10, 2018
11 posts

Warning for pleasure use on car icbc

Hey guys I had a tree or tree bark hit my car and had dents on them i called icbc to claim it and was good but the person said that i was under pleasure not work which i didnt know about. She said that she will give me a 1 time warning. Just curious any of u guys ever have that happen to u?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1168 upvotes
KelvinL31608 wrote: Hey guys I had a tree or tree bark hit my car and had dents on them i called icbc to claim it and was good but the person said that i was under pleasure not work which i didnt know about. She said that she will give me a 1 time warning. Just curious any of u guys ever have that happen to u?
So how is the car being used? Are you using it to commute to work, or strictly for pleasure? If you are committing fraud by saying you don't commute, and end up doing so and getting into an accident, why wouldn't they deny the claim? Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Just be honest and go about your life. Yes insurance seems like a rip off, but if you kill someone or get sued, all of a sudden it won't seem like such a bad price.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
fusion2k2k wrote: So how is the car being used? Are you using it to commute to work, or strictly for pleasure? If you are committing fraud by saying you don't commute, and end up doing so and getting into an accident, why wouldn't they deny the claim? Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Just be honest and go about your life. Yes insurance seems like a rip off, but if you kill someone or get sued, all of a sudden it won't seem like such a bad price.
What the hell are you talking about man? Insurance is insurance, they should pay regarless where you got damage, whether at 2 pm or 2 am, at work or after party.

Whats next, not get paid if you were hit by someone who was in the commission of a crime? Oh wait......
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5429 posts
5285 upvotes
GTA
Tree bark caused dents? Was the whole tree still attached to it?
Dec 10, 2018
11 posts
I'm not entirely sure what it was that made the dent but there was tree branches on my car and the wind was really strong that day
Dec 10, 2018
11 posts
U didnt get what I was saying. When I was talking to icbc I was surprised when they said I was under pleasure but luckily they gave me a one time warning and I just changed to work that same day. I was just wondering if it was a norm to get a warning or if I was just lucky.
Apr 27, 2009
430 posts
320 upvotes
West Vancouver
So the tree the tree jumped out into the road and hit your car?

The agent would have explained the difference between the various insurance coverages (business, to work, pleasure) when you obtained your insurance. Your insurance form identifies the class of insurance you agreed to and the restrictions.

Sounds like you are insured for pleasure use and you told the claims agent you were driving to work or school when the tree hit your car.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Are you currently working? And if so, do you drive to work with this vehicle? If you did and you bought pleasure use insurance then ICBC has right to deny claim due to misrepresentation. Next time you renew, make sure to ask the agent to put on commute to work. Don't lie about the distance either.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
KelvinL31608 wrote: U didnt get what I was saying. When I was talking to icbc I was surprised when they said I was under pleasure but luckily they gave me a one time warning and I just changed to work that same day. I was just wondering if it was a norm to get a warning or if I was just lucky.
It's up to the claim adjuster. In your case, the claim might be small so they help you out but don't rely on getting warnings. If it was a bigger claim, they may just deny the claim especially now since they are trying to cut costs.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
4290 posts
2082 upvotes
BC
Even for pleasure, you are allowed to drive to work up to 5 or 6 times a month
Dec 10, 2018
11 posts
I never said I was driving while something hit it. My car was parked when I noticed it
Dec 10, 2018
11 posts
Yea that's what I'm thankful for. That it wasnt an actual crash and I never would "scam" icbc on purpose. I have the money. I just never knew it was under pleasure as I always tell them I drive to work.
Apr 27, 2009
430 posts
320 upvotes
West Vancouver
KelvinL31608 wrote: Yea that's what I'm thankful for. That it wasnt an actual crash and I never would "scam" icbc on purpose. I have the money. I just never knew it was under pleasure as I always tell them I drive to work.
So you initialed the insurance form where it explains the restrictions and did not read the paragraph or understand what the agent explained. If the agent did not explain the restrictions you should use a different agency next time.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
KelvinL31608 wrote: ........ I was just wondering if it was a norm to get a warning or if I was just lucky.
You didn't so much get a warning as a request to confirm that your coverage was correct. That's normal.

The Autoplan agent that you last went to almost certainly would have asked the same question.

You either currently use the car more than 6 days a month to go to work or you don't. But your circumstances can change through the year.

You will have a sizeable increase in your premium now. Not sure how ICBC arranged for you to pay that.
Didn't they ask you to go to an Autoplan agent to get your revised coverage printed out and paid for?

As the coverage for a flying object (e.g. tree branch) is under the Comprehensive part of your optional insurance, the work/pleasure declaration may not be a factor.
(But I am not positive on that.)

Those that lie about their work/pleasure usage risk having a serious accident claim denied.
This is similar to being untruthful when crossing the border. If you get found out the consequences can be expensive and/or very inconvenient.
Dec 10, 2018
11 posts
Yes they told me to fix it and I paid the difference and they told me it wouldn't increase my premiums for next time
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1168 upvotes
MusicBox wrote: What the hell are you talking about man? Insurance is insurance, they should pay regarless where you got damage, whether at 2 pm or 2 am, at work or after party.

Whats next, not get paid if you were hit by someone who was in the commission of a crime? Oh wait......
No, it's not. The risk is calculated based on location, usage, kilometers driven, driver information, etc. A vehicle has a much higher chance of being damaged commuting 100kms each way then parked in a lot and only driven on nice days (pleasure use).
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13102 upvotes
KelvinL31608 wrote: Hey guys I had a tree or tree bark hit my car and had dents on them i called icbc to claim it and was good but the person said that i was under pleasure not work which i didnt know about. She said that she will give me a 1 time warning. Just curious any of u guys ever have that happen to u?
Since you said you already switch it back to work, I assume they have some suspicion that you are not buying the right coverage?