Shopping Discussion

Warranty on an open box Dell laptop from Best Buy

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2021 8:10 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 17, 2004
64 posts
Richmond Hill

Warranty on an open box Dell laptop from Best Buy

I bought open box Dell laptop from Best Buy last week (marketplace seller), shipped and arrived on Monday. Everything seemed fine, laptop is in near-mint condition, but whenever I try to run games after about 15 seconds in the fans ramp up and then the laptop does a hard reset. The laptop has a discrete graphics card in it and the only affected part seems to be that. When I do run the Dell diagnostic tests though on the graphics card it doesn't seem to crash, only when I play actual games. So whoever did the "repair" before may never have encountered the issue if they just did those tests. I've done all firmware and driver updates.

Anyways, the laptop is under warranty for a year and it wasn't activated by whatever previous owner. Dell sends you the shipping box and everything and I have no problem waiting for them to fix it. Best case they send me a brand new laptop. Should I expect any problems doing warranty through Dell with it being open box? The only part worrying me it that some of the screws on the bottom are stripped a bit so someone previously took the bottom plate off. Dell's warranty seems to exclude deliberate damage but that doesn't seem like the case here I hope.

My other alternative is a return but then I lose out on a $300 discount. Should I try going through warranty?
14 replies
Newbie
User avatar
Nov 3, 2020
95 posts
64 upvotes
refund, if only for not having to deal with warranty
Veteran RFD
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13755 posts
5360 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yup, I agree... if you are still able to refund through Best Buy and get all your money back, do it. If there are visual signs of repair that may void the manufacturer's warranty, then you don't want to be the one having to deal with Dell denying you in-warranty services for something that the previous owner did.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 17, 2004
64 posts
Richmond Hill
Marcketing2020 wrote: refund, if only for not having to deal with warranty
Is it that bad? I've never made a warranty claim before.
Unfortunately dealing with the marketplace seller may require me to arrange shipping back, while Dell will send me a prepaid box after two days.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
3076 posts
3031 upvotes
GTA
I think the Dell warranty is already void since someone other than Dell opened it and did a repair. Send it back. I hope you read the sellers return policy before you purchased it. I would also avoid marketplace sellers on BB in the future.
Newbie
User avatar
Nov 3, 2020
95 posts
64 upvotes
^^^ exactly what @tew wrote

Dell could deny the warranty claim for whatever reason.
If you can get a refund, try to get it asap.
Veteran RFD
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
2533 posts
1310 upvotes
London
sloose wrote: I bought open box Dell laptop from Best Buy last week (marketplace seller), shipped and arrived on Monday. Everything seemed fine, laptop is in near-mint condition, but whenever I try to run games after about 15 seconds in the fans ramp up and then the laptop does a hard reset. The laptop has a discrete graphics card in it and the only affected part seems to be that. When I do run the Dell diagnostic tests though on the graphics card it doesn't seem to crash, only when I play actual games. So whoever did the "repair" before may never have encountered the issue if they just did those tests. I've done all firmware and driver updates.

Anyways, the laptop is under warranty for a year and it wasn't activated by whatever previous owner. Dell sends you the shipping box and everything and I have no problem waiting for them to fix it. Best case they send me a brand new laptop. Should I expect any problems doing warranty through Dell with it being open box? The only part worrying me it that some of the screws on the bottom are stripped a bit so someone previously took the bottom plate off. Dell's warranty seems to exclude deliberate damage but that doesn't seem like the case here I hope.

My other alternative is a return but then I lose out on a $300 discount. Should I try going through warranty?
never buy open box from bb unless its one that says its geek squad certified as those are pretty much open box sold by the store and at least according to bb should still have full manufacture warranty. open box from a 3rd party seller could be anything from something that was bought and returned to something thats been used and abused for who knows how long and most likely wont have any warranty left on it or the warranty was already registered by someone else and they will just say its not transferable.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 29, 2018
938 posts
550 upvotes
Vancouver
Open-box from a market place seller, just means used.

Anyone can sign up to be a market place seller and claim pretty much whatever
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3843 posts
2402 upvotes
Vancouver
Just clarification...

The screws themselves and opening the laptop does NOT void the warranty for Dell (and most other brand but check each brand to be safe). However any damage due to you (or really anyone except Dell) opening the laptop isn’t covered. So if there is physical damage to the GPU or any internal hardware due to someone trying to “fix” it, the warranty will then be void.

Dell also won’t replace the screws if it was already stripped and if they can’t open it due to previous damage, it could again void the warranty.

Honestly you should go for a refund instead of a warranty claim. Push for a full refund because the laptop isn’t working properly. If the marketplace seller refuses, contact bestbuy to see if they can help (not likely but doesn’t hurt to try).
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 1, 2006
12130 posts
15308 upvotes
Get refund. Like the others say, only buy open box if sold by Best Buy. Market Place opened items are likely used and abused.

Let me tell you my story. So one time I bought a Macbook Air. Never even opened but returned it to Best Buy because I got cheaper elsewhere. Well that Best Buy guy opened the sealed box just to see that it was not a brick. Now BB will sell the Macbook as an opened box item even though it was never even touched by the original buyer. The guy that bought my returned item sure got a good deal.
Have a nice day!


[OP]
Newbie
Oct 17, 2004
64 posts
Richmond Hill
Welp I went ahead and installed the beta amd drivers and seems like the issue went away... Did a clean install so maybe it was just a driver issue? The laptop came with the latest drivers though. Will properly stress bench it later tonight but if I get more issues i'll go the return route. Thanks for the advice.
Jr. Member
Jul 20, 2017
135 posts
102 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: never buy open box from bb unless its one that says its geek squad certified as those are pretty much open box sold by the store and at least according to bb should still have full manufacture warranty. open box from a 3rd party seller could be anything from something that was bought and returned to something thats been used and abused for who knows how long and most likely wont have any warranty left on it or the warranty was already registered by someone else and they will just say its not transferable.
Not good advice imo. I have bought countless electronics from bestbuy sellers, including an open box g5 desktop and refurbished dell latitude, and never had any issues.

The sellers are always helpful imo (probably because they know bestbuy will go against them if the buyer opens a claim) and will let you return anything.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
2533 posts
1310 upvotes
London
TylerOakville wrote: Not good advice imo. I have bought countless electronics from bestbuy sellers, including an open box g5 desktop and refurbished dell latitude, and never had any issues.

The sellers are always helpful imo (probably because they know bestbuy will go against them if the buyer opens a claim) and will let you return anything.
ya well i've seen others here report that when they bought from a 3rd party off bb and the seller ignored them bb told them to bad we didn't sell the item and we won't do nothing. looking at bb return policy for market place it dont even talk about a dispute process if there is an issue. maybe if u pay with paypal but it sounds like bb wont care one way or the other.

i dont see nothing along the lines of ebays money back policy that says if u dont get what the seller said ud get u can dispute it though bb. or nothing like amazon a-z policy either noting seems to say anything about what happens if the seller don't help u.
Jr. Member
Jul 20, 2017
135 posts
102 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: ya well i've seen others here report that when they bought from a 3rd party off bb and the seller ignored them bb told them to bad we didn't sell the item and we won't do nothing. looking at bb return policy for market place it dont even talk about a dispute process if there is an issue. maybe if u pay with paypal but it sounds like bb wont care one way or the other.

i dont see nothing along the lines of ebays money back policy that says if u dont get what the seller said ud get u can dispute it though bb. or nothing like amazon a-z policy either noting seems to say anything about what happens if the seller don't help u.
There is an escalation process from bestbuy if the seller doesn't respond or is unhelpful. As well sellers have feedback.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
2533 posts
1310 upvotes
London
TylerOakville wrote: There is an escalation process from bestbuy if the seller doesn't respond or is unhelpful. As well sellers have feedback.
if its anything like the escalation process for an order directly from bb i wouldn't put to much faith in it. one time i return something using there pre paid label and several weeks went by after they got it tons of them escalating it because the refund wasn't being processed finally had to file a charge back. because c/s had no power to issue the refund all they could do was email some higher up department that u can't talk to and wasn't responding to the c/s agents.

now i rarely order from bb and if i do i pay with paypal so its easy to dispute though paypal

Top