Home & Garden

Washer dead, want to replace washer and dryer, suggestions on a new one?

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2020 12:26 am
[OP]
Sep 9, 2015
212 posts
135 upvotes
GTA

Washer dead, want to replace washer and dryer, suggestions on a new one?

I currently have a Maytag pair washer and dryer from maybe 10 years ago (came with the house we bought) replaced. I appreciate any helpful advise from anyone here.

I've seen a lot of people complain about Samsung appliances so I am not planning on considering that brand at all.

I need help with 3 things:

1.) Which brand with your own reviews do you use and like?
2.) Which store provides the best price, warranty and service?
3.) In this covid situation, who will deliver, install and help dispose off the old appliances i need gone? ( I am not in a very good position to do a lot of heavy lifting)

Thanks y'all!
24 replies
Jun 23, 2019
359 posts
195 upvotes
Whirlpool makes good stuff, I have always owned Whirlpool appliances and haven't had any issues. I bought my appliances from The Brick and was able to negotiate a good deal, but shop around and see who gives you the best price.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5816 posts
839 upvotes
Agreed with the poster above, any whirlpool (or its own brand) is a good candidate

-maytag
-whirlpool
-amana

My other suggestion is, go for a model with the fewest bells and whistles.

Do you need one with wi-fi? Touch screen? 16 wash settings?

Your next question is front load or top load? It's more of a personal pref
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2003 posts
297 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Your broken down washer, was it a HE front loader or top loader? If you decide on getting a front loader & don't know what size of washer to get. Get one large enough to wash your largest comforter or sleeping bag.
[OP]
Sep 9, 2015
212 posts
135 upvotes
GTA
Thanks all! The broken one is a top loader. I am going to look for front load washer and dryer combos only. Has anyone had luck getting a white collar service (install to disposal) after the lockdown?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15969 posts
13218 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Curious on what died on your Maytag.
And what the Service folks said

We have a Maytag XL Washer & Dryer
Top Loader HE ... stainless steel interiors
It’s a workhorse
Very happy

This is I think i third set of Maytags in 40ish years
Average use ... 15 to 20 years

The key to the new HE Models though is making sure to do the monthly maintenance
A run thru cycle with a Washer Cleaner like Affresh
So that there’s no soap gunk build up anywhere in the system
(This is the same problem ... but also with stagnant standing water that plagues front load HE Washers ... and causes them to stink. Main reason I WOULD NEVER buy a front loader. That and the inability to fully control the cycle ... cannot add more water, or more items to a front loader )

Whatever you do ... BUY NORTH AMERICAN
Don’t get dazzled by the bells & whistles on Samsung or LG
Too many cases of them introducing new models every year
But then not supporting parts for older models
And 3 to 5 years from now you are stuck with an appliance you cannot fix
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5816 posts
839 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Curious on what died on your Maytag.

I say don't bother getting a diagnostic and repair on a 10yo unit.

OP got a good life out of the thing, get a new one.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2318 posts
1024 upvotes
Edmonton
LG steam wash and steam dry washer and dryer combo. 12 years old, not a lick of problems. Front loaders with stands as we thought it would be awkwardly too low and we can use the storage. Have absolutely zero complaints, would buy again in a heartbeat.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2003 posts
297 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

The issue other people have with using front loading washing machines is that they used way too much HE laundry soap with every load of clothes. Remember that a front loading washer uses about 1/3 of the water that a top loading washer uses, so the amount of soap should be reduced by about the same amount. I doesn't help that all HE laundry soap is very low sudsing. It's easy enough to know if you're not using enough soap, but how do you know if you're using too much soap?
https://www.wikihow.com/Figure-out-How- ... Should-Use
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1512 posts
1275 upvotes
Ottawa
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

The issue other people have with using front loading washing machines is that they used way too much HE laundry soap with every load of clothes. Remember that a front loading washer uses about 1/3 of the water that a top loading washer uses, so the amount of soap should be reduced by about the same amount. I doesn't help that all HE laundry soap is very low sudsing. It's easy enough to know if you're not using enough soap, but how do you know if you're using too much soap?
https://www.wikihow.com/Figure-out-How- ... Should-Use
That's not actually rooted in chemistry.

If you need to reduce the amount of soap you're using when moving to a HE machine, you're not using a soap that's truly designed for a HE machine.

My family uses cloth diapers. We literally wash piss and shit from diapers twice a week. We use the same amount of Tide powder in our front loading HE machine as we did in our top loading 20 year old beast with spiral agitator because that's the amount of soap needed to clean human waste from cloth. Trust me, you notice if you're not washing diapers correctly. Any less soap, and they start to stink after a few washes and we run the risk of giving the kid a rash or infection.
Last edited by Dynatos on Apr 27th, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14627 posts
9021 upvotes
Toronto
You'd but shocked to find any top loader these days with an agitator. One mistake that I had made, was purchasing a washer/dryer combo that was european. Sourcing parts/repair was a nightmare. I agree, stick to maytag brands, something with relative ease of parts to find and or people to repair them. Also, be weary of your current setup and door, and how much bigger you can get. Nothing worse than finally getting your washer/dryer and only one of them fits into the home.

lol
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2358 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
I got an LG top loader from Costco. I think it's this one.

I like it so far. It's hard trying to find one without the bells and whistles. I just want the washing cycle. But it comes with wifi start and other stuff. This thing is huge because there is no agitator inside.

I just saw one Costco's website it says that the delivery guys will leave the washing machine in the first dry area, such as your garage or covered porch. I guess this might be due to the virus. The movers actually removed my old washing machine and put it out on the curb for me. They also connected the new washing machine.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3482 upvotes
The NORTH
Friends don't let friends buy samsung appliances, period.
Mar 3, 2010
73 posts
12 upvotes
walleye*guy wrote: LG steam wash and steam dry washer and dryer combo. 12 years old, not a lick of problems. Front loaders with stands as we thought it would be awkwardly too low and we can use the storage. Have absolutely zero complaints, would buy again in a heartbeat.
I second your comments, we've had the blue Tromm series for 16yrs and only a water pump and heater coil repair.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3901 posts
3059 upvotes
Ottawa
I've got a 9-y-o and another 4-y-o LG front load sets, currently working in 2 homes with no issues whatsoever in addition to another first LG set for 4 years prior. Front load washers stink but you have to use HE soap with the correct amount, keep the rubber seal dry and clean (leave the door open between washes), clean the bottom trap a few times a year. Proper usage and maintenance go a long way. I'd never go back to top loading, front loaders high rinse speeds make your clothes dryer after the wash.

If you're worried, get a LG set from Costco. I've got all mine from HD after PM with other stores.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4518 posts
2792 upvotes
Gotham
PointsHubby wrote: Curious on what died on your Maytag.

We have a Maytag XL Washer & Dryer
Top Loader HE ... stainless steel interiors
It’s a workhorse
Very happy

This is I think i third set of Maytags in 40ish years
Average use ... 15 to 20 years

The key to the new HE Models though is making sure to do the monthly maintenance
A run thru cycle with a Washer Cleaner like Affresh
So that there’s no soap gunk build up anywhere in the system
(This is the same problem ... but also with stagnant standing water that plagues front load HE Washers ... and causes them to stink. Main reason I WOULD NEVER buy a front loader. That and the inability to fully control the cycle ... cannot add more water, or more items to a front loader )

Whatever you do ... BUY NORTH AMERICAN
Don’t get dazzled by the bells & whistles on Samsung or LG
Too many cases of them introducing new models every year
But then not supporting parts for older models
And 3 to 5 years from now you are stuck with an appliance you cannot fix
+1

I have several top loading washers in rental properties. In thr past 15 years I've only ever had to do two repairs (clutch on the spindle ($250) and one was a switch which started working again after dust was cleaned from it). Many of the machines are over 20 year old. I know people with front loaders that had to replace more than once in this timeframe.

I don't like the amount of electronics in the new machines. Washing clothes hasn't been revolutionized by tech.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15969 posts
13218 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
gumby wrote: I've got a 9-y-o and another 4-y-o LG front load sets, currently working in 2 homes with no issues whatsoever in addition to another first LG set for 4 years prior. Front load washers stink but you have to use HE soap with the correct amount, keep the rubber seal dry and clean (leave the door open between washes), clean the bottom trap a few times a year. Proper usage and maintenance go a long way. I'd never go back to top loading, front loaders high rinse speeds make your clothes dryer after the wash.

If you're worried, get a LG set from Costco. I've got all mine from HD after PM with other stores.
Good info

Except ... FYI
The new Agitatorless HE Top Loaders do everything a front loader HE Machine does
(uses less water ... the rapid spin etc)
Plus a whole lot more (Ability to use like a traditional top loader when wanted for bigger loads etc )

And none of this crazy hassle crap of extra cleaning for the bottom trap, rubber seal, leaving the door open etc
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15969 posts
13218 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
batcave wrote: +1

I have several top loading washers in rental properties. In thr past 15 years I've only ever had to do two repairs (clutch on the spindle ($250) and one was a switch which started working again after dust was cleaned from it). Many of the machines are over 20 year old. I know people with front loaders that had to replace more than once in this timeframe.

I don't like the amount of electronics in the new machines. Washing clothes hasn't been revolutionized by tech.
Which is EXACTLY WHY I asked the question what is broke

The call out isn’t cheap

But all in with part & labour could still be way cheaper than a new machine

And if it’s a maytag could easily be a repair that lasts another 5+ years
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6234 posts
647 upvotes
BC
PointsHubby wrote: Good info

Except ... FYI
The new Agitatorless HE Top Loaders do everything a front loader HE Machine does
(uses less water ... the rapid spin etc)
Plus a whole lot more (Ability to use like a traditional top loader when wanted for bigger loads etc )

And none of this crazy hassle crap of extra cleaning for the bottom trap, rubber seal, leaving the door open etc
The HE top load with the impellers are crap! I have a whirlpool and absolutely hate it.. so finicky to load, you cant just throw your clothes in or it will go out of balance and the stupid thing keeps refilling with water on the spin cycle trying to adjust the load. We were thrilled with how big it was inside, but not really because you cant put a large load in without it going out of balance.
I"m actually looking to replace it after just 4 years... waiting for the Maytag I want (with agitator) to show back up on the costco website so I can get it.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15969 posts
13218 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Keelie wrote: The HE top load with the impellers are crap! I have a whirlpool and absolutely hate it.. so finicky to load, you cant just throw your clothes in or it will go out of balance and the stupid thing keeps refilling with water on the spin cycle trying to adjust the load. We were thrilled with how big it was inside, but not really because you cant put a large load in without it going out of balance.
I"m actually looking to replace it after just 4 years... waiting for the Maytag I want (with agitator) to show back up on the costco website so I can get it.
Our top load HE Maytag has neither an agitator nor a classic impeller
It basically a huge tub with a small knob / nub in the Centre
(Similar to this photo ... but our version is even flatter )

www.mommydigger.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... -space.jpg

It works amazing for us ...
Esp once you truly figure out what each load of clothes you are doing actually needs
As far as water goes

It works great for delicate loads, Regular loads, sheets, towels etc

But if we want to do a very big load ... like a bunch of jeans
Or a Kingsize Sheet Set (Flat Sheet, Fitted Sheet, and 4+ Pillowcases)
Then we find it works best on the Bulky Setting where the system will demand more water so everything in the load gets a good soaking

I liked my old Agitator Maytag
But I like this washer more cuz it can handle bigger loads ... when I need that
(Like Blankets, Duvets, Comforters, Sleeping Bags)
But also does better by smaller loads, where it uses a lot less water
Really performs well on the Gentle / Delicate cycle

Rare for us to have it go out of balance etc
Or the constant refill issue (have heard about this before from other Washer make owners )
99% of the time no issues at all
Set it ... and forget it