• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2018 9:51 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 23, 2016
74 posts
9 upvotes

Washer and dryer opinions?

I’ve read most recent relevant posts on the website and been researching days on end consumer reports reviews anywhere I can find info YouTube etc.

Looking for opinions recently bought a house and has a old top load inglis with agitator. At first was getting stuck pouring water out but riddled with drain pipe and is no longer getting stuck. But it is extremely small and leaves lint on everything the dryer also doesn’t work super well and the door opens multiple times during bigger load.

We are looking to buy a new set but there does not seem to be a right answer when buying washers and dryers everything has some good and horrible reviews. I’m looking at either LG , Electrolux or whirlpool.

Consumer reports says LG is the most reliable, but I’ve also read LG and Electrolux can cause issues when needing parts and fixing waiting weeks on end. Makes me think whirlpool may be better?

The Electrolux has a lot of good reviews and some interesting features pre mixing detergent true fresh water rinse, but how reliable are they

Models I’m looking Into

Whirlpool WFM85HEFC washer

LG lower end model basic washer WM3270CW

LG higher end steam model WM3770HVA

Electrolux EFLS617STT

Any opinions on brand ? Personal experience?

Laundry is going in a unfinished furnace room on concrete and we just want a quality set that will clean clothes well and be reliable.

Thankyou!
15 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16513 posts
18072 upvotes
Oakville
I've had an LG WM3770 washer and DLEX3570 dryer for a month and so far it's been great. Super quiet and cleans well.
Only issue I had was with the delivery company being 3 weeks late, but HD gave me $250 back for my trouble.
LG is supposedly the most reliable, but Maytag/Whirlpool supposedly have more available parts for when there is a breakdown.
I don't expect any mainstream brand to last too long. If you want reliability you need to go to a Speed Queen, but then you could buy a new washer/dryer a few times for that cost.

Deal was $729 for each from HD
lowes-lg-wm3770-dlex3570-washer-dryer-848-each-2136017/
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Oct 23, 2016
74 posts
9 upvotes
Was this for Boxing Day? 750 each is quite good they are closer to 1050 at HD right now
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16513 posts
18072 upvotes
Oakville
Twitchy15 wrote: Was this for Boxing Day? 750 each is quite good they are closer to 1050 at HD right now
Yea, that was a PM at best buy during boxing week. Though the $1k price seems to be a regular marked up price as they are often on "sale" for under $900.
May 22, 2007
487 posts
255 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
If you have access to a Costco, they have a Samsung Washer and Dryer on sale for $599 each right now. We have the dryer and it is great.
Mar 19, 2013
696 posts
209 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
I recommend Whirlpool. We have the Duet washer/dryer. The washer is 6 years old, trouble free. My wife loves it. Whirlpool is sold at many locations, go on sale regularly. Service & parts readily avaiable.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1666 posts
837 upvotes
Twitchy15 wrote: I’ve read most recent relevant posts on the website and been researching days on end consumer reports reviews anywhere I can find info YouTube etc.

Looking for opinions recently bought a house and has a old top load inglis with agitator. At first was getting stuck pouring water out but riddled with drain pipe and is no longer getting stuck. But it is extremely small and leaves lint on everything the dryer also doesn’t work super well and the door opens multiple times during bigger load.

We are looking to buy a new set but there does not seem to be a right answer when buying washers and dryers everything has some good and horrible reviews. I’m looking at either LG , Electrolux or whirlpool.

Consumer reports says LG is the most reliable, but I’ve also read LG and Electrolux can cause issues when needing parts and fixing waiting weeks on end. Makes me think whirlpool may be better?

The Electrolux has a lot of good reviews and some interesting features pre mixing detergent true fresh water rinse, but how reliable are they

Models I’m looking Into

Whirlpool WFM85HEFC washer

LG lower end model basic washer WM3270CW

LG higher end steam model WM3770HVA

Electrolux EFLS617STT

Any opinions on brand ? Personal experience?

Laundry is going in a unfinished furnace room on concrete and we just want a quality set that will clean clothes well and be reliable.

Thankyou!

I went through this conundrum months ago. I went with the Electrolux 617.

I've had an LG for close to 10yrs and it's been very reliable, but I'm known to try out new products (new home owner here). I have no complains.

Seriously, everything is anecdotal . You just gotta take the dive and find out for yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7729 posts
1611 upvotes
The problem you read about with LG is a lot of people make the mistake to call random repairman to fix it and find out parts are hard to come by when they should have called LG directly for the repair. LG charges a fixed repair fee and would have better access to their own parts.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5563 posts
3142 upvotes
Ottawa
Magoo61 wrote: I recommend Whirlpool. We have the Duet washer/dryer. The washer is 6 years old, trouble free. My wife loves it. Whirlpool is sold at many locations, go on sale regularly. Service & parts readily avaiable.
I can attest to the reliability of the Whirlpool Duet. We have a set of Kenmore HE3t (Sears' rebranded Duet) we bought in 2002 and we have had to do zero maintenance on the washer and only one instance on the dryer - I replaced the coil once and that was just last summer. Well designed, large capacity, does what they are supposed to do and does it well, and well built.

That being said, I do not know if the current Duet is engineered or built to the same quality as they were 15 years ago so, if I was in the market, I would do my research from scratch.
[OP]
Oct 23, 2016
74 posts
9 upvotes
Went with the LG wm3770hva and matching dryer dlex3570V.

Price was 1048 each she price matched with Costco at 4 dollars cheaper + 10% so 948 each.

Two days later saw the same two washer and dryer at Lowe’s for 950 so called to adjust price match price and they did 850 ea and Alberta is giving a energy efficiency rebate of $100 for this washer.

So basically $800 each which I am quite happy about.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12449 posts
3651 upvotes
GTA
Good choice. We have a very similar washer for the past 4/5 yrs and are very happy with it.

If you can, put them on a pedestal, makes moving clothes so much easier on your back. I built my own from 2x4s and plywood, turned out very well.

There are nice ones available for your units. Check out this thread if you missed it, perhaps it will be back at the sale price again some time https://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco- ... #p28948406

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 17, 2008
44 posts
26 upvotes
Burlington
OP - if time allows watch the Canadian Appliance website for sales on those models and get a price match. I was waiting for the Electrolux EFLS617SIW model and matching gas dryer to go on sale at Home Depot (regular price $1,148) and found Canadian Appliance had them additionally discounted and I ended up getting an extra $306 off the washer and $276 off the dryer. No haggle either with the guy at the HD appliance department, I just asked him if they would price match Caandian Appliance and he said we have too and he just confirmed their sale price from some site they use. Canadian Appliance website will show you an MRSP price and a discount from that but they'll also have additional sales and savings on top of that and to see the final price you need to click on "Add to Cart". BTW my wife has commented on how much better they clean the clothes and says they feel softer, but personally I don't see the difference and we previously had GE front loader for 10 years.

Biscayne05 - the spin cycle of your Electrolux compared to your previous washer do you find it loud? After my first wash I went down and found it at least a foot away from where I installed it. On the floor we have cermaic tile and even with it perfectly level it wouldn't stop "walking" on the spin cycle so we had to put a matt underneath it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33803 posts
7447 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I also have the Electrolux EFLS617SIW, purchased it last July and have been using it since. My previous washer and dryer were Samsungs from 2011

The Samsung’s are crap. The Electrolux doesn’t have as many features as the Samsung but it works great. The dryer is a little loud depending on what setting you have it set to. But I have my pair not the ground floor in a mud room and no one hears the noise.

The other complaint I have is the washer, you need to set it on extra rise to make sure you rid yourself of all the soap. This washer uses very little detergent, but I find the fresh water rinse needs an extra few minutes to get it completely off. This could be due to soften water.
Mar 1, 2011
437 posts
108 upvotes
Stoney Creek
How can any report say LG is the most reliable? How long have they been on the market here in North America? Come-back in 27 years and tell me how reliable they are. That is the age of my current North American made washer and dryer. ( I did spend a total of about $60 the last 3 years for a coupling and check pawls for my washer)
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12281 posts
6843 upvotes
Brampton
Just avoid Samsung like the plague is all I can say. They are a flaming dumpster of trash.

As Mentioned, a major Advantage (if you want to call it that) is LG has the One Price Repair program. So you know no matter what there's a cap on the total cost of repair of the unit if something goes wrong, from my experience it's a solid program.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16513 posts
18072 upvotes
Oakville
BigBacala wrote: How can any report say LG is the most reliable? How long have they been on the market here in North America? Come-back in 27 years and tell me how reliable they are. That is the age of my current North American made washer and dryer. ( I did spend a total of about $60 the last 3 years for a coupling and check pawls for my washer)
lfmao, wtf?

Can I go back in time and buy a reliable NA front load washer from 27 years ago? No. All consumer grade washers are made cheaply these days, but according to Consumer Reports data, LG is the most reliable.