Washer/dryer recommendation

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2018 1:14 pm
[OP]
Jul 31, 2017
104 posts
20 upvotes

Washer/dryer recommendation

I have an old washer and dryer that I'm looking to replace. I'm in the market for a new washer/dryer to save on water consumption/energy consumption. Does anyone have recommendations for brand/model?
22 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33807 posts
7450 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Definitely get a front load High Efficiency (HE) washer

I'm not going to suggest a brand, I think most are good. I only suggest you stay away from Samsung

If you want a really large washer, LG has a high capacity unit. I currently have an Electrolux and I am happy with it. My previous unit was Samsung which was also a great washer. But service is terrible and they tend to fail just after the warranty period.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1148 posts
96 upvotes
Im going to jump on the thread also as my LG front loader that was 3 years old (3250) model gave me nothing but issues. First year it was fine, second year little oil stains on the clothes and since then it final bit the bullet last week with a de1 and de2 error (door latch). Being replaced through bestbuy protection plan (what a joke about that..don't get me started) but I am also in the market for a replacement and I am wondering if I should do another brand (maytag/whirlpool) and maybe even jump back to a top loader with or without the agitator. Has anyone gone from a front loader to top or vise versa that can comment or what they like better?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33807 posts
7450 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
superwell wrote: should do another brand (maytag/whirlpool) and maybe even jump back to a top loader with or without the agitator. Has anyone gone from a front loader to top or vise versa that can comment or what they like better?
I think the top loader does a better job cleaning, but it is not efficient, it uses too much water. I would still buy a front loader. Try a different brand. There really isn't much technology in a washing machine.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16533 posts
18096 upvotes
Oakville
superwell wrote: Im going to jump on the thread also as my LG front loader that was 3 years old (3250) model gave me nothing but issues. First year it was fine, second year little oil stains on the clothes and since then it final bit the bullet last week with a de1 and de2 error (door latch). Being replaced through bestbuy protection plan (what a joke about that..don't get me started) but I am also in the market for a replacement and I am wondering if I should do another brand (maytag/whirlpool) and maybe even jump back to a top loader with or without the agitator. Has anyone gone from a front loader to top or vise versa that can comment or what they like better?
What was wrong with the BB protection plan?

I just went from a top loader to an LG front loader. Front loaders clean better and use less water than top loaders. The tumbling action can't be beat, which is why commercial units are front loaders. I hated leaning into our top loader and unwrapping clothes from the agitator.

OP, if you want highest quality, you want to look at Speed Queen, but you could buy 2 or 3 standard sets for the same price.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8312 posts
2063 upvotes
Toronto
I've still using a 21 year old AEG :)

Just had to replace the drain motor which was working OK but leaking at the seal. I noticed the drive belt is a bit torn up so have ordered a replacement. By modern standards, it's a pretty basic machine but still runs so no call to replace it (fingers crossed!).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5587 posts
3158 upvotes
Ottawa
Our Kenmore HE3 washer/dryer have worked nearly flawlessly for just about 15 years. Just last summer, I replaced the original coil on the dryer and was impressed at the condition of all the moving parts inside the box and, frankly, the lack of built-up dryer lint (although I did a cleaning a few years back and noted the same thing then). The front load washer has never given us 1 day of trouble - after we learned to keep the door open a couple of inches after each load. These where made by Whirlpool back in the day and the equivalent model was the Whirlpool Duet. Based on our experience with these Kenmores, I would certainly research the Whirlpool models when we're back in the market.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2848 posts
1317 upvotes
Mississauga
superwell wrote: Im going to jump on the thread also as my LG front loader that was 3 years old (3250) model gave me nothing but issues. First year it was fine, second year little oil stains on the clothes and since then it final bit the bullet last week with a de1 and de2 error (door latch). Being replaced through bestbuy protection plan (what a joke about that..don't get me started) but I am also in the market for a replacement and I am wondering if I should do another brand (maytag/whirlpool) and maybe even jump back to a top loader with or without the agitator. Has anyone gone from a front loader to top or vise versa that can comment or what they like better?
That sucks. I helped my mom shop for thesame unit back in 2014 (WM3250HVA/DLEX3250V combo) and its still working great for her...not a single service call. There was a smell around the 2 yr mark but I just her to remind her to keep the doors open after a wash and we cleaned out the washer filter.

For my set I went with an Electrolux the following year and its been problem free too.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1148 posts
96 upvotes
engineered wrote: What was wrong with the BB protection plan?

I just went from a top loader to an LG front loader. Front loaders clean better and use less water than top loaders. The tumbling action can't be beat, which is why commercial units are front loaders. I hated leaning into our top loader and unwrapping clothes from the agitator.

OP, if you want highest quality, you want to look at Speed Queen, but you could buy 2 or 3 standard sets for the same price.
The protection plan, is a joke. I mean I am sure they are all the same but I have never bought extended warranty before so I don't have any comparable but in regards to an appliance care/repair and replacement its a joke. First call they send a really small and maybe 90 lb girl. Not that there are not girls that could probably lift more than me, but I was 100% certain that this particular girl would not be able to lift the washing machine off its pedestal on her own. I would stand corrected later, when she called for help only to be shut down because of lack of people available. Wasted day off work. Then they finally sent a few guys that would finally check it and tell me nothing was wrong, after clearly seeing the issues. 2nd wasted day. Finally after several other attempts they sent a few guys again to replace the drum on the unit. Problem was still there, as they never changed the bearing on the back. They then called in LG to take a look as their own techs are useless. LG was confused as to why they were there if I had warranty through best buy. So was I. Then it became a we will follow what Lg says moving forward game, which is not what the contract states, and Lg always thought that if they put anything in writing that they would be left with the bill to replace the unit, even though I said many times to them no you wont, but it fell on to deaf ears. So it was a cat and mouse game for a while and finally the de1 and de2 error come up and again best buy sent Lg to diagnose and report back and that's when they decided to finally replace it. Now, I finally got my paper work and in 2013 I paid $739.99 plus taxes for that 3250 washer, yet the best buy replacement plan paperwork has listed $739 even and no mention of my taxes. Also, and I am confirming today hopefully that the insurance company that does the pay outs, shows they take 27%. I am not sure if that is the reason behind the different amounts of that is in that amount already but its just been a crazy rollercoaster. LG tech that came out last told me to do their top loader. Very little calls with them VS their front loaders. The top loader I am looking at is the HE model so no agitator. Don't know who to believe anymore.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16533 posts
18096 upvotes
Oakville
superwell wrote: The protection plan, is a joke. I mean I am sure they are all the same but I have never bought extended warranty before so I don't have any comparable but in regards to an appliance care/repair and replacement its a joke. First call they send a really small and maybe 90 lb girl. Not that there are not girls that could probably lift more than me, but I was 100% certain that this particular girl would not be able to lift the washing machine off its pedestal on her own. I would stand corrected later, when she called for help only to be shut down because of lack of people available. Wasted day off work. Then they finally sent a few guys that would finally check it and tell me nothing was wrong, after clearly seeing the issues. 2nd wasted day. Finally after several other attempts they sent a few guys again to replace the drum on the unit. Problem was still there, as they never changed the bearing on the back. They then called in LG to take a look as their own techs are useless. LG was confused as to why they were there if I had warranty through best buy. So was I. Then it became a we will follow what Lg says moving forward game, which is not what the contract states, and Lg always thought that if they put anything in writing that they would be left with the bill to replace the unit, even though I said many times to them no you wont, but it fell on to deaf ears. So it was a cat and mouse game for a while and finally the de1 and de2 error come up and again best buy sent Lg to diagnose and report back and that's when they decided to finally replace it. Now, I finally got my paper work and in 2013 I paid $739.99 plus taxes for that 3250 washer, yet the best buy replacement plan paperwork has listed $739 even and no mention of my taxes. Also, and I am confirming today hopefully that the insurance company that does the pay outs, shows they take 27%. I am not sure if that is the reason behind the different amounts of that is in that amount already but its just been a crazy rollercoaster. LG tech that came out last told me to do their top loader. Very little calls with them VS their front loaders. The top loader I am looking at is the HE model so no agitator. Don't know who to believe anymore.
Thanks, another reason to avoid extended warranties.

I heard top load HE washers are very bad at cleaning.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1148 posts
96 upvotes
Just to update, the best buy insurance takes 27% from the amount that bestbuy charges for the warranty itself, not from your takeback. Also the amount you get back is the amount you paid plus your taxes. Thirdly you can not get it as a gift card, you must apply the credit towards another washer/fridge etc that you originally purchased, as per staff..but yet they couldn't figure out how to make the PSP plan attach to my new purchase yesterday so they just refunded my current machine (on gift card) and then made a new purchase and applied the gift card..which proved them wrong..but anyway I needed a new washer so it didn't really matter..just didn't want to deal with Best buy again if I didn't need to. I ended up getting the newer LG top loader WT7600, reviews are just as good as other machines and all the sales reps vouch for it so well take a chance and see how it performs. My wife never loved the front loader, low water levels and they way the machine washed generally...she is a old school agitator type of girl and never thought the front loader made things come out clean enough. In all fairness we had a lemon of a machine but some of my shirts came out of the front loader still smelling of cologne and deodorant on occasion and my socks were never whiter then out of the Maytag agitator machine. Anyway I will report back in a few weeks with how this new "thing" works and help someone else with a purchase decision.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2017
104 posts
20 upvotes
Thanks for the feedback everyone. The impression I'm getting is that the newer washer/dryers tend to work fine, until they break after a few years. :( If anyone else is looking for a washer/dryer, Lowe's is havin a BOGO sale right now. Buy one unit and the other is 50% off with free delivery. The only problem I see is that your local store needs to have the item in stock before you can order online.
Nov 1, 2006
258 posts
96 upvotes
We bought a front load LG HE 6.0 cubic feet washer and a Samsung dryer. The LG has been great minus some odor issues that can creep up if you don't do regular maintenance of cleaning the tub out or letting it air dry after some loads. The Samsung dryer has been great but this year we had to have a clip replaced that holds the motor / belt in place. Although my wife pointed out afterwards that it happened when she put shoes or shin pads in the dryer which caused them to get lodged and likely forced the clip out of its spot and broke it. :)

In the end, I think you're better off looking at your needs. How many loads do you plan on doing? Do you need to wash a king size duvet? Do you have a large family? The answer to those questions was 'lots of loads' and yes for the other two so we opted for one of the biggest washers available to reduce the number of loads we need to do in a given week.
Jun 26, 2006
189 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
Our 5 year old front load He washer crapped out in the spring. Looked at everything and read as much as possible and ended up buying a used reconditioned top load conventional center agitator washer. Came delivered with 3 month guarantee. Company we bought it from said they used to sell reconditioned He machines and no longer sell them because they were losing their shirt in warranty claims. They said they sell most of their machines to people whose super expensive He machines crapped out just after the warranty. They must sell 50 washers a week they are constantly turning over machines.

Water costs are higher, electricity costs lower compared to He. Wash times are 1/3rd, dryer costs probably higher because clothes come out of He machines less wet compared to non He machines. Agitator non He machines are probably harder on the clothes. He machines need to be religiously cleaned once or twice a month or else by the time you get brown sticky scums flakes on your clothes (coming from buildup on the outside of the drum which you can't see) it's too late.

So far much happier having gone back to old school washing.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16533 posts
18096 upvotes
Oakville
BaadDawg wrote: Our 5 year old front load He washer crapped out in the spring. Looked at everything and read as much as possible and ended up buying a used reconditioned top load conventional center agitator washer. Came delivered with 3 month guarantee. Company we bought it from said they used to sell reconditioned He machines and no longer sell them because they were losing their shirt in warranty claims. They said they sell most of their machines to people whose super expensive He machines crapped out just after the warranty. They must sell 50 washers a week they are constantly turning over machines.

Water costs are higher, electricity costs lower compared to He. Wash times are 1/3rd, dryer costs probably higher because clothes come out of He machines less wet compared to non He machines. Agitator non He machines are probably harder on the clothes. He machines need to be religiously cleaned once or twice a month or else by the time you get brown sticky scums flakes on your clothes (coming from buildup on the outside of the drum which you can't see) it's too late.

So far much happier having gone back to old school washing.
HE top loaders suck. HE front loaders are great and we never clean ours, you just need to leave the door open for it to dry out (like you do on a top loader).
We find our HE front loader cleans much better and faster than our old non-HE agitator top loader. Having steam clean and sanitize options is great too.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2017
104 posts
20 upvotes
I finally bought my new washer/dryer. I ended up getting this set from Costco without the pedestals: https://www.costco.ca/LG-Graphite-Steel ... 98404.html. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the new set was much deeper than my old set. My old set was around 27" deep. It looks like my new front loaders will be 31" deep, and LG is recommending 4" of space behind the washer and dryer. I'm putting them in a U-shaped opening so they will stick out a bit. Does anyone know if the 4" spacing behind the units are required? I can just imagine things falling behind the machines and at 200lbs each, I don't want to move them once they are in place.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16533 posts
18096 upvotes
Oakville
buttertarts wrote: I finally bought my new washer/dryer. I ended up getting this set from Costco without the pedestals: https://www.costco.ca/LG-Graphite-Steel ... 98404.html. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the new set was much deeper than my old set. My old set was around 27" deep. It looks like my new front loaders will be 31" deep, and LG is recommending 4" of space behind the washer and dryer. I'm putting them in a U-shaped opening so they will stick out a bit. Does anyone know if the 4" spacing behind the units are required? I can just imagine things falling behind the machines and at 200lbs each, I don't want to move them once they are in place.
I think that 4in is just needed for the dryer exhaust vent. You can get some slim hard pipe or get a side exhaust exit kit for the dryer.
May 13, 2010
140 posts
61 upvotes
Can't comment on a dryer, but just last week I bought a LG WT1501cw from Lowes for $700. It's an HE top loader and so far it's been great. It's super quiet and the clothes seem to come out nice and clean and well spun! Obviously cannot comment on longevity, but online reviews were quite good overall.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2017
104 posts
20 upvotes
rheimy wrote: Can't comment on a dryer, but just last week I bought a LG WT1501cw from Lowes for $700. It's an HE top loader and so far it's been great. It's super quiet and the clothes seem to come out nice and clean and well spun! Obviously cannot comment on longevity, but online reviews were quite good overall.
I like the top loaders and that seems like a pretty good price. I went with a front loader only because space is at a premium in my house and I wanted to add countertop space above the units.