Home & Garden

Washing machine and dryer set - GAS or electric dryer?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2022 4:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1964 posts
334 upvotes

Washing machine and dryer set - GAS or electric dryer?

Do you guys have preference?

I figured gas is better to generate heat but with Trudeau carbon tax makes me wonder if their is cost savings anymore
19 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2017
1133 posts
1141 upvotes
My concern would be more the volatility price of gas which has doubled in 2 years (at least in Ontario), and it’s probably only going to keep going one way given the substantial increase of countries looking for new sources. At least with the carbon tax it’s defined by a schedule that clearly lays out the increases every year.

Personally if I had to chose today, I’d go electric. But my aim is to reduce the carbon footprint of my house.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8601 posts
5519 upvotes
Mississauga
From an operating standpont, gas will always be cheaper than electric.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26884 posts
6104 upvotes
Gas is and will be cheaper for a long time to come, probably forever.
I think people forget that electricity is being subsidized, at least in Ontario.
One of these days electricity rates are going to go through the roof
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13214 posts
4824 upvotes
Ontario
If I had the choice I would go with GAS as its generally cheaper. However if you decide to go with Electric look at this model as its a Commercial grade & better built. We just picked up the washer from this Commercial model and its been really good & the reviews online all say the same thing, 5 year parts/labor, 10 years on motor/drum

Maytag - YMEDP575GW (Dryer)
https://www.canadianappliance.ca/produc ... 575GW.html

Maytag - MVWP575GW (Washer)

thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: Do you guys have preference?

I figured gas is better to generate heat but with Trudeau carbon tax makes me wonder if their is cost savings anymore
Mar 21, 2022
71 posts
62 upvotes
I just got the same washer earlier this summer and it has been great. I didn't pick up the matching dryer because my old one is fine. I read in the reviews that it has a loud buzzer that can't be turned off, does that bother you?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3378 posts
1990 upvotes
Mississauga
I switched from electric to gas dryer 7 years ago and agree that the cost of NG has been creeping up at a higher rate compared to electricity. Wait till hydro subsides start winding down or NG rates drop a significant amount.

In my case the TOU on-peak usage was really inconvenient and expensive for our laundry usage habit. I'm back on tiered rates but did not have that option in 2015. Basically when it was time to get a new laundry set we paid $50 extra for the NG model and then $150 for the install.

How much did I save cost wise and consumption? I dont know.
My very rough calculation after the gas dryer was installed showed hydro savings was probably around $70 a year while NG cost increased by $40 based on 30 loads a month.
I would post my real world NG consumption based on meter reads but it is not accurate for this comparison. I added a gas dryer but my yearly NG consumption went down by 30% due to the fact that I swapped out my furnace, upgraded to a tankless and new windows at thesame time.

As for utility cost, between 2014 to 2019 my cost to run a NG appliance was 0.44 to 0.48 ¢ per m3. In 2022 it is now 0.66¢ per m3. So a yearly household consumption of 1750m3 that would have cost me ~$800 is now $1150+ in 2022 which sucks.

Hydro on the otherhand has been more constant historically. My cost was 0.16c/kWh in 2014, creeped up to 0.20c/kWh in 2016 but has been averaging 0.16c/kWh since 2019. So my 2022 out of pocket cost is still thesame as 2014.
*Just to explain my numbers, the utility cost is based on total paid divided by total consumed for the year. So this takes into account all taxes, fees, bill rebates and credit as displayed in my utility bill. It is also based off my unique TOU consumption split each year.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7428 posts
2381 upvotes
0 downvotes
Yup go with the Gas one. Despite Gasoline and natural gas prices gone up from 2 years ago Gas is still cheaper than Hydro (electricity) to operate
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Feb 17, 2013
70 posts
35 upvotes
It’s definitely not for everyone’s use case but electric heat pump dryer is great option if you can manage with a 4,5cf machine. Better on the clothes, 30% more efficient and doesn’t vent your conditioned to the outside.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1964 posts
334 upvotes
mrweather wrote: From an operating standpont, gas will always be cheaper than electric.
Shaner wrote: Gas is and will be cheaper for a long time to come, probably forever.
I think people forget that electricity is being subsidized, at least in Ontario.
One of these days electricity rates are going to go through the roof
sickcars wrote: If I had the choice I would go with GAS as its generally cheaper. However if you decide to go with Electric look at this model as its a Commercial grade & better built. We just picked up the washer from this Commercial model and its been really good & the reviews online all say the same thing, 5 year parts/labor, 10 years on motor/drum

Maytag - YMEDP575GW (Dryer)

Maytag - MVWP575GW (Washer)

I was considering commercial from a brand called speed queen which apparently is braneded as huebsh in canada. neither them or maytag offer front load options for a washing machine though. :(
GoodFellaz wrote: Yup go with the Gas one. Despite Gasoline and natural gas prices gone up from 2 years ago Gas is still cheaper than Hydro (electricity) to operate
bubuski wrote: I switched from electric to gas dryer 7 years ago and agree that the cost of NG has been creeping up at a higher rate compared to electricity. Wait till hydro subsides start winding down or NG rates drop a significant amount.

In my case the TOU on-peak usage was really inconvenient and expensive for our laundry usage habit. I'm back on tiered rates but did not have that option in 2015. Basically when it was time to get a new laundry set we paid $50 extra for the NG model and then $150 for the install.

How much did I save cost wise and consumption? I dont know.
My very rough calculation after the gas dryer was installed showed hydro savings was probably around $70 a year while NG cost increased by $40 based on 30 loads a month.
I would post my real world NG consumption based on meter reads but it is not accurate for this comparison. I added a gas dryer but my yearly NG consumption went down by 30% due to the fact that I swapped out my furnace, upgraded to a tankless and new windows at thesame time.

As for utility cost, between 2014 to 2019 my cost to run a NG appliance was 0.44 to 0.48 ¢ per m3. In 2022 it is now 0.66¢ per m3. So a yearly household consumption of 1750m3 that would have cost me ~$800 is now $1150+ in 2022 which sucks.

Hydro on the otherhand has been more constant historically. My cost was 0.16c/kWh in 2014, creeped up to 0.20c/kWh in 2016 but has been averaging 0.16c/kWh since 2019. So my 2022 out of pocket cost is still thesame as 2014.
*Just to explain my numbers, the utility cost is based on total paid divided by total consumed for the year. So this takes into account all taxes, fees, bill rebates and credit as displayed in my utility bill. It is also based off my unique TOU consumption split each year.
Thanks everyone.

i think i will lean towards gas.

WE will need to get a gasgline hooked up but the basement is unfinished so that shouldnt be to difficult for a contractor to install.

I was ready to go with BOSCH as they seemed the most reliable out of the typical brands(samsung, lg, maytag etc) but they only sell eletric dryers:/

given the mixed reviews on the other brands, im assuming its not gonna matter which one as they all will eventually bust in a few years
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4842 posts
4623 upvotes
Toronto
As an owner of a gas dryer for 20+ years, one thing I want to mention is that gas has far less selection and also sales. The sales at big box stores and Costco would be electric ones, while gas ones are always special order and at full price. Of course, right now nothing is in-stock (except for a single electric model you might be able to grab instore at Costco), but just wanted you to know what you would be faced with.

I'm basically resigned to the fact that I'll need to pay full price and wait a while for a replacement gas dryer if my current one dies. Only other option for a discount would be to buy one if Lowes has another x% off sale that includes special order appliances.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3378 posts
1990 upvotes
Mississauga
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: I was considering commercial from a brand called speed queen which apparently is braneded as huebsh in canada. neither them or maytag offer front load options for a washing machine though. :(

Thanks everyone.

WE will need to get a gasgline hooked up but the basement is unfinished so that shouldnt be to difficult for a contractor to install.

I was ready to go with BOSCH as they seemed the most reliable out of the typical brands(samsung, lg, maytag etc) but they only sell eletric dryers:/

given the mixed reviews on the other brands, im assuming its not gonna matter which one as they all will eventually bust in a few years
I’m happy with my Electrolux washer and gas dryer although it is their previous gen Wave-Touch model line.

When shopping I needed the front load to have a reversible washer door so my washer stayed on the right without having an awkward door opening when transferring washed loads. The dryer needed to be on the left for the vent duct in the room.

Only GE, Electrolux, Frigidaire and Kenmore’s rebranded Frigidaire models fit my requirements for reversible washer door.

GE at the time we’re doing rough financially. They were in talks to sell their appliance business to Electrolux. This was before Haier swooped in and bought GE .

Kenmore was manufactured by Frigidaire and Frigidaire was owned by Electrolux. All three shared a lot of washer and dryer parts but not all features of the Electrolux.

Since all options led back to the Electrolux I went with them and the pair have been rock solid the last 7 years.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1097 posts
1728 upvotes
you put all your costs as factions of a cent which im assuming is a mistake
bubuski wrote: How much did I save cost wise and consumption? I dont know. In 2022 it is now 0.66¢ per m3
assuming your dryer is 95.5 AFE (a reasonable guess)

Fuel:
Natural gas cost per cubic meter = 0.660
Burner efficiency factor = 95.5%
Cost of heat (per 100,000 BTU) = 1.90
bubuski wrote: 0.16c/kWh since 2019. So my 2022 out of pocket cost is still thesame as 2014.
an electrical dryer will have 100% heat energy efficiency (meaning it uses all of the electrical energy used to create heat). this doesn't actually make the dryer 100% efficient, but the operating loss (the efficiency with which it uses heat) is comparable to gas, so for this comparison makes no difference)

Electric:
Electric rate (per kilowatt-hour) = 0.160
Cost of heat (per 100,000 BTU) = 4.69

as you can see, even with much higher NG prices, you're way ahead. i'm assuming you calculated all sunk costs into your 0.66$/m^3 rate.

i only run my laundry offpeak. i dont have access to natural gas. my offpeak rate is 7.4. this means not including delivery and fees (and therefore not directly comparable to your math) my costs are:
Electric:
Electric rate (per kilowatt-hour) = 0.074
Cost of heat (per 100,000 BTU) = 2.17
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3378 posts
1990 upvotes
Mississauga
TrueToy wrote: you put all your costs as factions of a cent which im assuming is a mistake
Face With Tears Of Joy Yes. Totally missed that.

The dryer heat element is 22,000BTU/HR but near impossible to figure out how much gas it consumes because it cycles the heat on/off constantly when drying and most cycles finish in 30-40 minutes.

I even attempted to watch the gas meter dial to measure the gas volume while in use which was a pain. I had to turn off the hot water, no cooking etc and the dial barely moved after two loads and 70 mins of run time.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1097 posts
1728 upvotes
bubuski wrote: Face With Tears Of Joy Yes. Totally missed that.

The dryer heat element is 22,000BTU/HR but near impossible to figure out how much gas it consumes because it cycles the heat on/off constantly when drying and most cycles finish in 30-40 minutes.

I even attempted to watch the gas meter dial to measure the gas volume while in use which was a pain. I had to turn off the hot water, no cooking etc and the dial barely moved after two loads and 70 mins of run time.
and that 22k BTU/h is probably a maximum number. i doubt its running continuously, even during the heat cycle.

as an aside to anyone else reading the thread, lower heat for longer periods will (almost) always increase efficiency, reduce energy consumption, protect your clothes and get them just as dry!
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13214 posts
4824 upvotes
Ontario
Yes I know those 2 brands, was looking into them but again are hard to find in stock around here. I think the reason why you cant find any front loaders is because when it comes to reliability the top loaders are best, less issues with mould / leaks etc at least thats my guess.
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: I was considering commercial from a brand called speed queen which apparently is braneded as huebsh in canada. neither them or maytag offer front load options for a washing machine though. :(

Thanks everyone.

Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1097 posts
1728 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Yes I know those 2 brands, was looking into them but again are hard to find in stock around here. I think the reason why you cant find any front loaders is because when it comes to reliability the top loaders are best, less issues with mould / leaks etc at least thats my guess.
front loaders are frankly better, they're more efficient etc. but front loaders should ONLY be used on concrete. period. if your washer is not on a concrete pad on the ground floor, do not get a front loader. they spin too fast to be put on anything that can bounce up and down. ask me why i've had two different washing machines in as many years
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6692 posts
1367 upvotes
It's hard to predict the future but at the moment gas is probably cheaper. I wouldn't overthink it though. Considering how poorly appliances are built these days you'll probably get a second chance at this decision in a few years time. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1568 posts
1094 upvotes
Longueuil
The answer depends on where you live (you didn't post your location). In Québec electric would be cheaper than gas.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9177 posts
3220 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: Do you guys have preference?

Electric condenser models are best. Better in all respects but does require a little more diy maintenance than regular driers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)