• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2021 3:18 pm
47 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20773 posts
20052 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Have the top of the line Electrolux. Doesn’t have some of the frills but works well.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
25638 posts
25175 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Big fan of Maytag …
Been a loyal user / customer for 40+ years
Current machine is 10+ years old and just as great as the day we bought it

Last one was 20+ … still worked fine … we just upgraded to HE when we remodeled the Laundry Room
Prior to that 15+ years old … and went with the house it was in when we sold it

Although … I much prefer top loader HEs over front loaders (far less issues )

There are a ton of Washing Machine threads on RFD here in the HOME & GARDEN FORUM

Instead of recreating the wheel … and ending up with just a limited number of replies

I suggest you use the SEARCH THIS FORUM box (at the top right corner of the H&G Directory) and read thru a bunch of past threads to get a wider perspective
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1265 posts
882 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Better yet read Consumer Reports.. What was good 10, 20, 30 years ago is meaningless ancient history.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9230 upvotes
The NORTH
Go with a Maytag.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6563 posts
945 upvotes
BC
2000teamti wrote: Not sure if you knew Maytag is owned by Whirlpool. You Maytag probably has Whirlpool guts.
I do know that yes. Amana, Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchenaid and then Jenn Air. All the same company, low end to high end, in that order.

The Whirpool washer was still crap! But I've had no problems with any of my Maytag appliances.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3708 posts
1491 upvotes
Woodbridge
Sorry to piggy-back on this, my washer also crapped out. What’s the best solution for removal of the old ones? I can pay the City of Vaughan $39 to remove it but I’m wondering if any retailers in the GTA include installation of new appliances and removal of old appliances as part of their delivery.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2284 posts
461 upvotes
Vancouver
OntEdTchr wrote: Sorry to piggy-back on this, my washer also crapped out. What’s the best solution for removal of the old ones? I can pay the City of Vaughan $39 to remove it but I’m wondering if any retailers in the GTA include installation of new appliances and removal of old appliances as part of their delivery.
Hi,

Bet if you talk nicely to one of these guys, they'll even take the appliance out of your house for you.
https://www.kijiji.ca/b-gta-greater-tor ... k0l1700272
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2284 posts
461 upvotes
Vancouver
kareshi wrote: My washer has broken.. it seems every brand has mixed reviews. i narrow down to the following and wonder if anyone has any comments on them?

Electrolux EFLS627UIW

GE GFW550SMNWW

LG WM4100HBA

Maytag MHW5630HW
Hi,

Get the Maytag commercial series washer. I have the 3000 series washer/dryer, going strong for over 10 years. Also got the 5.2 cu. size, so we can wash comforters & sleeping bags in it. No electronic, mechanical or mould issues. I do only use the minimal amount of detergent to wash each load & leave the door ajar to dry out the door seal.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
25638 posts
25175 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
OntEdTchr wrote: Sorry to piggy-back on this, my washer also crapped out. What’s the best solution for removal of the old ones? I can pay the City of Vaughan $39 to remove it but I’m wondering if any retailers in the GTA include installation of new appliances and removal of old appliances as part of their delivery.
Most Appliance sellers
Offer up extra services … like Delivery, Installation, and old appliance removal
Sometimes there is a charge (up to 3 different line items)
And sometimes it’s a package
Or on promo

I never have found a set pattern
You just have to compare each place / chain separately

So it’s not just the price of the appliance you find (hopefully on sale)
You also have to add in whatever extras apply
And then compare the full bottom line pricing

Sometimes during sales like Black Friday … Retailers will compete by not just price … but by throwing in 1, 2, or 3 of these extras

That can add up.

As Delivery typically runs $ 25 to $ 50
Installation $ 150 or so
And Appliance Removal / Take Away = $ 15 to $ 50 or so depending on what Recycling / Dump services are in your jurisdiction
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9309 upvotes
Montréal
Costco does this. Free install, free accessories (I got free hoses for the washer) free 1 year extra warranty and free hauling of your old appliances. If they have what you are looking for, I think it's the best bet. And, on top of this, if you are an executive member you get 2% cash back

https://www.costco.ca/appliances.html?langId=-24
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20126 posts
6454 upvotes
London
OntEdTchr wrote: Sorry to piggy-back on this, my washer also crapped out. ........
kareshi wrote: My washer has broken.. ...
Some old school Whirlpool / Kenmore top load direct drive washers pre 2005 can be easily repaired and parts are widely available. They might be considered non-green because they suck back a lot of water, but they are very reliable
Jan 3, 2013
696 posts
309 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have the Electrolux 627. I am on well water with 0.4 iron. Softening the water. Very happy and after every load, even if putting another load on, we dry the door and the rubber gasket. No mold, no issues and very happy. Every 40 loads or so it reminds a self clean so we run that with an affresh tablet. It may seem excessive but with well water we figure it's a good investment. Purchased it for about $1000 with five year warranty.

I went Electrolux as I wanted belt drive. If you're looking at direct drive then Maytag makes a really good front loader as well.

Maytag makes a really nice HE top loader as well if you want to go that way.

Read lots of reddit and like the other person said search these forums. Lots of good information.
Feb 29, 2008
395 posts
174 upvotes
GTA
If RFD has taught me anything it's to stay away from Samsung
Also keep the frills to the minimum
May 12, 2021
149 posts
70 upvotes
RFD folks would choose a base, aka daily rental spec, Chevy Cruise for a car if you let them.
fuzzy2k3 wrote: If RFD has taught me anything it's to stay away from Samsung
Also keep the frills to the minimum
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9230 upvotes
The NORTH
2000teamti wrote: RFD folks would choose a base, aka daily rental spec, Chevy Cruise for a car if you let them.
You MUST be a newbie. Car of choice on RFD is a beige Corolla.