WaPo 1 year subscription - $29 US ($39ish CAD), 71% off

Deal Link:
Price:
$29 US
Savings:
$71, 71%
Retailer:
WashingtonPost.com
Sure, some here hate the WashingtonPost due to their political views or other bias...

For those who actually want a subscription during this US election year, however, this is one of the best deals I've seen to date on their 1 year sub. Normally $100 US per year, you can usually find a 1 year sub on discount for $50 US and sometimes even $40 US, but rarely 71% off at $29 US as of today (around $39ish CAD). You can use a credit card, Paypal or Amazon Pay to subscribe (I'd suggest Paypal).

This is an automatic renewing subscription so I'd suggest cancelling as soon as you purchase this full year so you are not billed at the full price a year from now. Also somewhat unrelated, I'd suggest signing up with a unique email account each time you subscribe to services like this. If you have a Gmail account this is easy to do: just add a plus sign plus any text to your normal gmail account address. For instance: someone@gmail.com can be used uniquely as someone+waposub@gmail.com and all mail sent to that address shows up in your regualar inbox without creating an actual new address. This is helpful to block any emails in the future, etc.

https://subscribe.washingtonpost.com/ac ... 0_ly0220_A#
Last edited by Elrondolio on Feb 26th, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
Jul 21, 2016
697 posts
1172 upvotes
WaPoo!
If you don't pay they prevent you from reading their articles. They block users from using ad-blocking tools. In 2020. Lol.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  / \
   | |
  _/ ¯ \_
🆁🅴🅳 🅵🅻🅰🅶 🅳🅴🅰🅻🆂
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1094 posts
1628 upvotes
InvaIid wrote: WaPoo!
If you don't pay they prevent you from reading their articles. They block users from using ad-blocking tools. In 2020. Lol.
Tim Hortons!
If you don't pay they prevent you from drinking their coffee. They block users from running out the door with unpaid food and drink. In 2020. Lol.
Disappointed But Relieved Face
Jul 22, 2019
603 posts
556 upvotes
How do I get past the Toronto Star paywall? Doesn't work with VPN.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6284 posts
1896 upvotes
Markham
InvaIid wrote: WaPoo!
What's your expectation?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6284 posts
1896 upvotes
Markham
Elrondolio wrote: Tim Hortons!
If you don't pay they prevent you from drinking their coffee. They block users from running out the door with unpaid food and drink. In 2020. Lol.
Credit card companies!

If you don't pay your bill, they block you using their cards in 2020! Lol
Sep 5, 2008
534 posts
400 upvotes
Port Moody
I subscribed in November for $30. I do enjoy the odd article here and there but it's not my only source... as long as I'm thinking critically, I think there are some good reads. I'm certainly not taking every opinion piece as some sort of truth though.

The article title changed on the above opinion to "It’s time to switch to preference primaries" by the way Nikhilvoid.
Dec 7, 2019
386 posts
246 upvotes
jerschwab wrote: I subscribed in November for $30. I do enjoy the odd article here and there but it's not my only source... as long as I'm thinking critically, I think there are some good reads. I'm certainly not taking every opinion piece as some sort of truth though.

The article title changed on the above opinion to "It’s time to switch to preference primaries" by the way Nikhilvoid.
Exactly.

The paper hosts diverse viewpoints. This fake news phrase is a call for the fastest road to dumbness where people jump out of the arms of journalists with perspectives to outright lies and propaganda.

Sam
Be the change you want to see.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3541 posts
2590 upvotes
The WaPo has been offering a 1 year sub pretty consistently for $30U. Just search in "Titles only." Enough to consider this an Ongoing Deal.

There's a lot to like about the WaPo. The travel articles to name one. However, most of the major US newspapers seem to do this well.

I used to subscribe to this and and the LA Times at 50 cents/week, but there was just too much interesting content to read and not enough time, so I simply cut them out.

If the content is not for you, simply move on.
Jul 13, 2013
742 posts
468 upvotes
People always point to the opinion pieces as evidence of a paper's decline, nearly every paper has those. That's not a journalistic article or an investigative piece, it's an opinion piece, usually from a contributor. Fake news=news and facts I don't agree with. Weekly world News is "fake news". Back up your criticism with sources and arguments, otherwise your stance is dismissed and shows your lack of ability at forming a coherent dissenting opinion.
Sep 5, 2008
534 posts
400 upvotes
Port Moody
songanddance wrote: Exactly.

The paper hosts diverse viewpoints. This fake news phrase is a call for the fastest road to dumbness where people jump out of the arms of journalists with perspectives to outright lies and propaganda.

Sam
FWIW, I follow Independent new media lately (mainly progressive David Pakman)... I found that watching Stephen Colbert every night just want cutting it and corporate sources are getting really terrible (ahem, MSNBC). I think it's time for less humour and a bit more serious action based content with objective analysis.

I highly recommend Pakman... https://www.youtube.com/user/MidweekPolitics
May 28, 2012
10484 posts
2605 upvotes
Saskatoon
Reminder: You don't like the deal, just ignore the thread instead of derailing it with off topic comments.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6284 posts
1896 upvotes
Markham
The best source is WSJ, even their opinion piece
Jul 21, 2016
697 posts
1172 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: Tim Hortons!
My bad! I was under the impression coffee was free at mcdo and most online newspaper were free. Guess that's a Quebec only thing then.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  / \
   | |
  _/ ¯ \_
🆁🅴🅳 🅵🅻🅰🅶 🅳🅴🅰🅻🆂