Tags:
[OP]
Dec 25, 2012
718 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto

Wasp nest removal/deterrent

Hi

I have what looks or might be wasps liking under the aluminum cover of my fireplace. Pics to follow. Anyone have this issue or a way to get rid of them permanently? Is there a sealant that I can apply that will be safe for fireplace operation?

It's a flap of aluminum I believe that goes down over the brick portion of the fireplace protrusion.

Thanks!
Images
  • 552414176.jpg
Last edited by James Stonehenge on Jul 4th, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JS
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9069 posts
7383 upvotes
Markham
Fire would normally work but it seems these wasps actually love fire.

Perhaps burn the house down.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3118 posts
1640 upvotes
Burlington
Anikiri wrote: Fire would normally work but it seems these wasps actually love fire.

Perhaps burn the house down.
+1. Guaranteed results OP.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43120 posts
3658 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hire a professional exterminator to work on it. You don't want to get stung.

It happened to my neighbour's fireplace exterior as well, they waited too long (moved out) and the wasps got inside the house. The exterminators fired some white foamy stuff to the location that blocked them off, I'm not sure what it was though.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13152 posts
7465 upvotes
Toronto
James Stonehenge wrote: Hi

I have what looks or might be wasps liking under the aluminum cover of my fireplace. Pics to follow. Anyone have this issue or a way to get rid of them permanently? Is there a sealant that I can apply that will be safe for fireplace operation?

It's a flap of aluminum I believe that goes down over the brick portion of the fireplace protrusion.

Thanks!
You should call a pest company if you're not able to deal with opening this up and investigating yourself. Wasps never return to the same place year after year and typically avoid any locations where there maybe another nest. You can purchase a fake nest to see if that helps, but that's only going to work if there isn't already a crew slumbering in your wall.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Dec 25, 2012
718 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
I've tried the wasp spray into there but they come back
JS
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3432 posts
1409 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Spraying into the hole isn't going to do it, unless the nest is right there. If you can remove the cover (do it on a cool night when they're all there and not active), quickly assess where the nest is and hit it with wasp killer (before they can react), that's the best thing to do.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1107 posts
559 upvotes
ottawa

Thanks!
Hey OP - I know others mentioned wasps don't come back year after year, but we had wasps going under our siding two years in a row. I finally used a spray that foams up and doesn't kill on contact but over time, and it seems to have eradicated them. This year there's no wasps. I went at dusk, but keep in mind they will still come out and sting the crap out of you - learned my lesson with 3 stings. Went back inside and put on 2 pairs of jeans, tucked into ski socks, with 2 sweaters tucked into my pants, ski gloves, scarves, goggles, and a toque. I'd recommend the same if you DIY lol.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2012
718 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
barqers wrote: Hey OP - I know others mentioned wasps don't come back year after year, but we had wasps going under our siding two years in a row. I finally used a spray that foams up and doesn't kill on contact but over time, and it seems to have eradicated them. This year there's no wasps. I went at dusk, but keep in mind they will still come out and sting the crap out of you - learned my lesson with 3 stings. Went back inside and put on 2 pairs of jeans, tucked into ski socks, with 2 sweaters tucked into my pants, ski gloves, scarves, goggles, and a toque. I'd recommend the same if you DIY lol.
Thanks for the tip. What kind of foam did you use?
JS
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2668 posts
1179 upvotes
We had 38 wasp nests in our green house this spring. Ranging from small new builds to massive wasp multiplex developments.
Since I hate wasps and getting stung I enlisted my wife to manage the battle while I took care of supplies and planning.

• First I bought three different brands of wasp spray, one mentioned above, ortho and Raid. (all were 7.95 to 9.95). These sprays are great as they work from 20' away.
  • Also purchased two hanging wasp/hornet bait traps. Basically a tube with water and a sweet mixture with wasp killer.
  • Also added window foam to the arsenal (my favorite)
  • Supplied my wife with body armour including toque, mitts, facemask, rubber boots.....
  • waited until dusk as the wasps are cuddling

My wife entered the greenhouse as I stood a safe 10' from the door. She started rummaging around and looking at the nests. Then she lost interest and started working on her stupid tomato plants.
I got agitated and burst into the green house and sprayed a bunch of nests. The wasps started dropping from the ceiling as the spray foams around the nest. Stuff works great and I kept blasting.
My wife on the other hand threw a fit as the chemical goo was dripping from the nests onto her stupid tomato plants and her. And a few wasps were none to happy about the ruckus and started a fuss. Luckily I had a 3m paint respirator on and full body suit with 50 layers of clothing. I still made a break for the door and kept blasting away with the cannister (which was empty at this point).
My wife called me an idiot and stomped into the house.
We waited two days as per the instructions and then suited up again. My wife made it very clear were I could shoot the chemical or else she would take the cannisters away from me ( I had bought a few more).

This time things went a little better. My wife pointed out each nest and I sprayed short bursts. Two days earlier I got most of the big ones and few little ones. This time we got most of the little ones.

Waited another day then went in and sprayed a few new nests. Little buggers are fast with the new builds!

Waited one day and brought in an extendable window washing rod with a rubber tip. My wife used the flashlight to ensure each nest was dormant and I poked at the nest to knock it down. We filled two buckets with wasp nests
I then filled each bucket with water and let them sit for a day.

Summary;

7 cans of assorted wasp spray totaling $90 roughly (one was really big). All three worked great. Really like the distance feature.
2 bait traps. $14 and totally useless. 1 wasp inside.
My wife hung three brown paper bags tied to the rafters meant to look like wasp nests. Strangely this worked well and was free....who knew??
Attack at dusk, they really are dormant.
The instructions also said to attack at sunrise but who gets up that earlyGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes.

Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
8815 posts
4021 upvotes
Markham
Unless you walk / do other stuff in the area, you can just leave them alone and they should not come back next year.

There's a pretty big void in that area behind the soffit so it's not going to be easy to eradicate them. You can try and battle them but from the looks of it, they just move over again and again as it looks like there are a log of gaps there that they can enter from. Wasps are really tough....I used Gorilla tape to "seal" an area I saw them going into and they cut a hole into it and went in again.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1107 posts
559 upvotes
ottawa
gr8dlr wrote: Unless you walk / do other stuff in the area, you can just leave them alone and they should not come back next year.

There's a pretty big void in that area behind the soffit so it's not going to be easy to eradicate them. You can try and battle them but from the looks of it, they just move over again and again as it looks like there are a log of gaps there that they can enter from. Wasps are really tough....I used Gorilla tape to "seal" an area I saw them going into and they cut a hole into it and went in again.
That's what I thought but mine kept coming back. I forgot I also setup a shop vac with the hose at the place they entered under the siding. Left it on from 3pm to midnight one night hoping I would get them all coming back home, which worked for about 2 days until I guess all the babies hatched and came out with a vengeance. I actually hate wasps.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13152 posts
7465 upvotes
Toronto
barqers wrote: That's what I thought but mine kept coming back. I forgot I also setup a shop vac with the hose at the place they entered under the siding. Left it on from 3pm to midnight one night hoping I would get them all coming back home, which worked for about 2 days until I guess all the babies hatched and came out with a vengeance. I actually hate wasps.
Typically, from my dealing and researching with wasps, the only reason why they would return to the same location is because the queen didn't die, the nest survived and wasn't destroyed by an infestation by parasites. Unless you have an unusual location where it's a wasps ideal paradise, they rarely ever return. I've had them in my eves, hedges, under chairs, soffits, and the list goes on.

The worse ones are the german yellow jackets cause they swarm in packs followed by the bald faced hornet. They are social wasps and are angry mofos. Very aggressive. I've documented my battle with the bald faced mofo on rfd, lol.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
7569 posts
2022 upvotes
Toronto

Thanks!
Spray with an insecticide with a residual effect. They will be dead in a day.

If you're in Toronto, you can PM me and I will give you the address of a good retailer for poisons.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative