Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3713 posts
879 upvotes
Hamilton

Wasp Trap/Spray Help

I unfortunately have wasps going in a small tear in the tarp material under my travel trailer. I can’t see the nest (I even cut the material back in the middle of the night but couldn’t see anything).

I have sprayed the opening of the hole as well as as far as the aerosol tube would stick in of this foaming stuff from OneShot but it hasn’t made a difference.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/wils ... p.html#srp

Just wondering what you have used for a similar situation where all you have is an entrance/exit hole.
Images
  • DBF743D9-9248-4B49-916B-A6F9AA7BEB9C.jpeg
  • 4335AB15-E525-4E38-B896-A1AD3CBC8193.jpeg
3 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2594 posts
1498 upvotes
Ontario
Can't take the tarp off?
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4272 posts
3413 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Those are yellow jacket wasps. They'll be dead after the first hard frost, and you can repair the tarp material then.

If it's an issue for you right now for some reason, take a Shopvac with an internal collection bag, put the nozzle near the opening without hitting tarp, and stand there for 30 minutes. The bulk of the incoming and outgoing wasps will be sucked into the vacuum. Leave the Shopvac out in the sun for a few hours, and all the wasps will be dead. Killing all the workers this way will essentially starve the colony.

Just an FYI; while yellow jackets can be bothersome at this time of year when they are foraging for sweets and proteins, they are actually quite effective apex predators that prey on a whole host of "less sting-y" yet harmful insects.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3713 posts
879 upvotes
Hamilton
MrFrugal1 wrote: Those are yellow jacket wasps. They'll be dead after the first hard frost, and you can repair the tarp material then.

If it's an issue for you right now for some reason, take a Shopvac with an internal collection bag, put the nozzle near the opening without hitting tarp, and stand there for 30 minutes. The bulk of the incoming and outgoing wasps will be sucked into the vacuum. Leave the Shopvac out in the sun for a few hours, and all the wasps will be dead. Killing all the workers this way will essentially starve the colony.

Just an FYI; while yellow jackets can be bothersome at this time of year when they are foraging for sweets and proteins, they are actually quite effective apex predators that prey on a whole host of "less sting-y" yet harmful insects.
To be honest they didn't even bother me when I got close to take the video of them coming and going. But its on the stairs to my trailer and i have a 4 and a 6 yo that I'm worried about.

Thats spray foam near the red pex line, not the nest.
Images
  • upload.jpg