Tags:
[OP]
Nov 7, 2009
200 posts
15 upvotes
Markham

Wasps under house vinyl

Greetings RFD,

First time home owner here... its been 3 years and I'm seeing a bit of wasp activity in a gap between my vinyl and the wall.
Last week I see about 3 of them flying in and out, and today I'm seeing about 8-10...

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this situation previously, who could share some advice?

Video of the situation shown below
(short version) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K9Ej2x ... sp=sharing
(5 minute version) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K6BAI6 ... sp=sharing

These fellas are also coming out with something in their mouth... is it my house????

I'm located in the Gatineau Quebec area.

Thanks in advance!
Felix
7 replies
Jan 7, 2013
828 posts
499 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
I don't think wasps damage house materials.
You can spray waspkiller in the crack. Hopefully something that leaves residual killer so the track it into nest. When it seems they are dead, put some caulking over that gap.

Maybe test the spray will not harm/stain your vinyl siding.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16989 posts
1814 upvotes
Thornhill
I had something similar a few years ago. I set up a home-made trap right by the entrance (the cut Coke jug thing) and caught a bunch (including what looked like the queen. Then when I got bored I emptied a can of the spray into the area.

I was able to hear them inside the house and after all that, there was... silence.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5078 posts
3324 upvotes
Deal with it sooner than later!

Wasp Killer and then use Great Stuff to fill in voids and gaps. I just took care of one, and I think they were yellow jackets, bigger than wasps. Great stuff works instantly to block.

It's much easier to deal with it earlier than later, when its too late....it's a nightmare.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8045 posts
9022 upvotes
Montréal
wasp killer spray in the gap. use it after sunset, when wasps are in the nest. Thereafter, seal the gap with caulking. Do not fill with urethane foam, this foam expands and can damage your vinyl siding
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8045 posts
9022 upvotes
Montréal
bhrm wrote: Deal with it sooner than later!

Wasp Killer and then use Great Stuff to fill in voids and gaps. I just took care of one, and I think they were yellow jackets, bigger than wasps. Great stuff works instantly to block.

It's much easier to deal with it earlier than later, when its too late....it's a nightmare.
bad idea to use Great Stuff. This expands, and can damage the siding
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5078 posts
3324 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote: bad idea to use Great Stuff. This expands, and can damage the siding
The gap i had was behind siding and just under. Yes, it does expand like crazy.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18061 posts
12781 upvotes
Markham
There are different grades of Great Stuff...some don't expand as much.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!