Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 6, 2010
247 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto

Watch with Heart monitoring features for someOne That's Had Heart Attack

Looking for suggestions for my dad who's had a heart attack last year. His current fitbit got lost but it was an older model so looking for something more up to date.
Not l looking for anything too fancy and budget is not an issue but would like something that possibly does accurate heart rate monitoring and isn't overly complex with the different exercise modes as he's older and doesn't do anything besides for long walks and using an elliptical and rowing machine. Tried searching around on internet but I found the focus to be more around all the fitness features. I did find a watch that fit all my needs but that site looks like a scam for sure as the features are too good to be true at that price point (cardiacwatch. Com)
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2001
1274 posts
173 upvotes
Mississauga
Series 4 also has it. Probably cheaper to buy now.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4769 posts
2798 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
I'm quite sure the electrocardiogram in Apple watch are only approved to detect atrial fibrillation, tachycardia and bradycardia.

It won't do anything for myocardial infarction.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14325 posts
8183 upvotes
Southern Ontario
The Apple Watch Series 4 and 5 (I have one), have two heart apps.

One that’ll notify you if your HR is too fast or slow when it appears you have been at rest for 10min.

The other app, ECG, requires you to hold the crown down for 30s and it checks for sinus rhythm and if you have atrial fibrillation (irregular HR) that’s it. It’s considered a 2 lead ECG and a simplification of the hospital standard 12 lead which will actually show abnormal waves directly related to a MI. No wearable consumer product does that.

Variations in either app are often unrelated to a heart attack and one should rely on the cardinal symptoms.
Common heart attack signs and symptoms include:
Pressure, tightness, pain, or a squeezing or aching sensation in your chest or arms that may spread to your neck, jaw or back.
Nausea, indigestion, heartburn or abdominal pain.
Shortness of breath.
Cold sweat.
Fatigue.
Lightheadedness or sudden dizziness.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2010
247 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Not looking for the watch to be a medical device and detect heart attack... Probably more along the lines of which fitness watch has accurate heart rate readings.