Fashion & Beauty

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19696 posts
13554 upvotes
Ottawa

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

OK, I hang out in the watch forums, but I've loved collecting watches since I was 6.

What is your current watch of affection (either you own or not), or watch of your dreams?

For you guys that think a watch that costs over $50 is a waste, stop reading here.
13648 replies
Banned
Apr 30, 2004
124 posts
1 upvote
warpdrive wrote:OK, I hang out in the watch forums, but I've loved collecting watches since I was 6.

What is your current watch of affection (either you own or not), or watch of your dreams?

For you guys that think a watch that costs over $50 is a waste, stop reading here.
I currently have my eyes on a mp3 player watch, possibly the BMW, but maybe not, any ideas?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
9076 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
i currently love my diesel watches... 2 to be exact... :P ...

my dream watches have always been a rolex or a tag huer... altho i have my eye on a tag huer watch that i saw in popular science... its loooks soo coool... all the moving parts are made like a cars moving parts... its intersting
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
I know you have expensive stuff, warpdrive, so I can't compare to you.
I love my Rado Xeramo (here ), but I'd like to get something more mature in a few years time. Something from Audemars Piguet would be nice. (my bike had pretty much cleared out the money that I can spend, so I need to start saving up for luxury shopping all over again)
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19696 posts
13554 upvotes
Ottawa
cmge wrote: my dream watches have always been a rolex or a tag huer... altho i have my eye on a tag huer watch that i saw in popular science... its loooks soo coool... all the moving parts are made like a cars moving parts... its intersting
Those watches with moving parts are commonly known as "mechanical" watches...the way they used to make them before Quartz or other battery operated watches took over. Mechanical watches are something special because there is no eletronics, it measures time using springs, gears, and other parts. Watch collectors tend to prefer those types of watches just like collecting fine violins or handmade swords, it's a skill and quality that makes it special.
Jun 8, 2004
228 posts
18 upvotes
Hamilton
i've been a fossil enthusiest for a few years now
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19696 posts
13554 upvotes
Ottawa
Hey chatbox, I do have some nice stuff, but still modest in the world of watches. Watch collecting is a very personal thing....I take a lot of pride in the quartz Suunto Observer wrist computer watch I just bought as well as the pricier stuff I have.

I had a Rado Jubilee model from about 10 years ago, and it was the first really nice watch I had. Gotta love their high tech scratchproof finishes.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2004
2301 posts
Oh man! I should go to bed.

I'm not sure if I'm tired or its just the influence of the last thread.. but I took the title of the thread to mean something totally different!!! :o

A thread about a bunch of peeping Toms

Goodnight!
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
Yeah, the Jubilee is a really nice design.

How do you like the Suunto watches? Heard good things about them, but haven't come across one in person yet.

About the ceramic finishes, they're scratch resistance, rather than proof. My xeramo has far too many tiny scratches on it, I'm thinking of getting a replacement.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19696 posts
13554 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm liking the Suunto....they make watches for the serious outdoor activities. They are complicated to operate though, and I have trouble remember how to activite all the functions without having the manual handy.

What I like about it is that it's a serious tool, and I can trust it no matter what. Even the battery is user replaceable (you can pop out the battery if you have a coin handy) so I can replace it easily at any time without having to find special tools.

I'm personally really into sports or "tool watches"...that is, watches that are functional, easy to read, and designed to be tough. For example, military or pilots watches.

One watch I'd like

Sinn 756 with Diapal oil-free escapement. Watchproof to 200 m, antimagnetic to 80,000 A/h, the case, crown and pushers are Tegiment hardened to 1200 HV and the case is fitted with the copper sulphate capsule. The watch is powered by a Valjoux 7750 which uses special oils to guarantee its performance in temperatures ranging from -45 to +80 degrees celsius. About $2000 CAD *if* it were available here
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
That Observer looks really nice...where can I buy it (retail, in person)? The price of them are so much cheaper than in the UK.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
17278 posts
73 upvotes
haha .. yeah, somehow I thought the thread was about watching lovers ... :lol:
Jun 30, 2004
67 posts
I like Timex. Just about any one of 'em. Takes a licking and keeps on licking. I mean, ticking.

But if I could get any, it would prolly be this one:

It's sooo me :D
I <3 RFD ... "Deals are my art form. Other people paint beautifully on canvas or write wonderful poetry. I like making deals, preferably big deals. That's how I get my kicks." -Donald Trump

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog :)
Feb 28, 2002
158 posts
1 upvote
toronto
i really like the spoon (seiko) secret agent man watch. i have 2 personally. it's the basis for the final fantasy limited edition watch, also made by seiko.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2001
2823 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
In watches, I prefer the minimalist look.
Movado comes to mind.

there were a few other companies who made very plain, elegant watches... their names elude me right now.
Hi5exposure Photography
http://www.hi5exposure.com
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
12134 posts
2754 upvotes
Guelph
rado and withners (spelling?) are nice
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
1180 posts
104 upvotes
I have matching watches however I don't wear it anymore since I usually just use my cell phone for the time. It's difficult to maintain the accuracy of the timepiece and maintenance is about $300 per service.

Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2003
2327 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
sigh, torley already said it.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3943 posts
1374 upvotes
Vancouver
I have 3 fossils... one 'blue', one 'steel', and one 'f2'. I wear the f2 one most often now.... seems to match with more of my outfits nowadays.

I really like the trend of the leather cuff watches, but I think my wrists are too small to make them look good.

cmge- good taste! those diesel watches are so awesome!

and the bunny sutra watch is soo cute! :lol:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)