Fashion & Beauty

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Sr. Member
Jan 1, 2006
719 posts
1 upvote
What's TZ?


And I'm looking to get a mature watch. Going to switch from my Swiss Army ST1000. I'm looking at something minimalist look like Movados or something unique like this Seiko Spectrum Watch (is this a guy's watch anyways? I'm not actually sure)

http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/sp/about/

Is there something like a full black movado but with a black metal strap? I saw this big black Movado full black watch with silver circumference but with a leather strap which I dont' really like since the leather will get bent linings on it
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 1, 2003
21209 posts
4230 upvotes
YUL
poedua wrote:What added functionality does this $7500 US watch have that a $ 50 Timex doesn't have ...apart from the name "Rolex '?
Absolutely nothing! In fact, the $50 Timex probably has many more functions. BUT, you don't buy a Rolex for functionality. You buy it for craftsmanship, the amazing mechanical movement, it's stunning looks, and yes its a Rolex, so you're paying for the name. You'll never understand me telling you this until you own one or put one on your wrist...

Same thing as buying a Ferrari F430, as opposed to a Shelby Mustang. Mustang might be faster, have an extra 2 seats, less maintenance. But a Ferrari is a Ferrari and the fact that there's less of them makes it more exclusive, and more desirable...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 15, 2005
8840 posts
Vancouver
ainsane wrote:Dude... I didn't pay $700. I'm not stupid. I was just writing that as retail. I paid around $350 when I got mine. Around that time, the regular prices were mid $400's... and the sale prices, mainly on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]eBay[/rfdlink], were mid $300's. I like this watch, but I like it for the price. I wouldn't spend anymore than this on a Citizen watch and can't currently afford anything better since I'm still a student.
Yeah I find it a joke when they say the retail price is $700, because it's not. The regular price around is more like $399CAN. I've not seen it anywhere for more than that.
ainsane wrote:Also, I have no idea how to use the pilot features... :) I dont care though. Just because they're there... it doesn't mean I have to use them!
What do you mean just because they're there.. that's the whole point of the watch and why it costs so much.

You could get a much nicer non-pilot watch for that price.
ainsane wrote:I'm curious, where can you find them for $229 US? All the one's on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] seem to be around $300 or more.
I've seen it for $299CAN, so $229US doesn't seem far off.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2006
1103 posts
3 upvotes
Alliston
http://www.timezone.com/

ckang008 wrote:What's TZ?


And I'm looking to get a mature watch. Going to switch from my Swiss Army ST1000. I'm looking at something minimalist look like Movados or something unique like this Seiko Spectrum Watch (is this a guy's watch anyways? I'm not actually sure)

http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/sp/about/

Is there something like a full black movado but with a black metal strap? I saw this big black Movado full black watch with silver circumference but with a leather strap which I dont' really like since the leather will get bent linings on it
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
27 upvotes
najibs wrote:Absolutely nothing! In fact, the $50 Timex probably has many more functions. BUT, you don't buy a Rolex for functionality. You buy it for craftsmanship, the amazing mechanical movement, it's stunning looks, and yes its a Rolex, so you're paying for the name. You'll never understand me telling you this until you own one or put one on your wrist...

Same thing as buying a Ferrari F430, as opposed to a Shelby Mustang. Mustang might be faster, have an extra 2 seats, less maintenance. But a Ferrari is a Ferrari and the fact that there's less of them makes it more exclusive, and more desirable...
I totally support that. Timex might be a good knock about watch but if you have the money then why not go with style and Swiss precision. I love my Longines...and could never go to some Zellers Timex watch after having this beautiful watch on my hand.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
5 upvotes
FastFokker wrote:Yeah I find it a joke when they say the retail price is $700, because it's not. The regular price around is more like $399CAN. I've not seen it anywhere for more than that.
Places like Sears actually list it at retail, hah. And I don't frequent watch stores. I checked out a few and the lowest price I could find was $400. I have seen it for more than $400 though (without negotiating). One store wanted like $465 (this was back in October when I bought it though). Some on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]eBay[/rfdlink] now even have a few buy-it-now's for over $400. Mind you, they are cheaper now than when I bought it.
What do you mean just because they're there.. that's the whole point of the watch and why it costs so much.

You could get a much nicer non-pilot watch for that price.
Oh well, I like the look of it. Shoot me. I'll pay the cost of them putting the numbers on the bezel since I like the look of the watch. You may prefer a non-pilot watch that you think is better... but to each his own, right?
I've seen it for $299CAN, so $229US doesn't seem far off.
That's great. I believe you guys... but I asked the first guy where he saw it. I was just curious since I'd like to know of stores where you can get decent deals on watches. You just saying you've seen it for $229 US (at a US store? ebay?) doesn't do anything for my curiousity.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 15, 2005
8840 posts
Vancouver
Ah I'm just bustin your balls, it's a nice watch.

I prefer the non-Blue Angels version myself.. but they are big and beautiful watches.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
5 upvotes
FastFokker wrote:Ah I'm just bustin your balls, it's a nice watch.

I prefer the non-Blue Angels version myself.. but they are big and beautiful watches.
Oh ok :) Initially I liked the regular one also, but then the Blue Angels one grew on me. One main reason why I like this watch is because it's so big. I have some big wrists and I tried on a bunch of Seiko's from Costco and they were all too small.

Can't wait to upgrade to a nicer watch though. ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2004
3370 posts
302 upvotes
Sherbrooke
Guys, it's a watch lover thread.. Fake or not, a watch is a watch.

Sadly, I know a lot about replica (mainly Omega and Tag). This "Rolex" is common replica and not the best. There is some awesome replica, and some bad one.. This one slip in the bad section.. Probably an 40$ Asian one you find in NY street. Look good for 40$, but the pearl scream fake.

As for watch, I'm a gadget freak in life. I love computer, cell, and any gismo that have a screen or even a LED :D . But when it come to watch, I just hate those quartz watch. The craftsmanship of a Swiss automatic watch is just awesome to see. So I will also love much more a nice Automatic watch than a Citizen Quartz with every gizmo you can imagine. Electronic is electronic. a watch made out of 50 and more small parts, that tick 28 000 time every hours and still can achieve great time is just insane. One of the best thing human have made. Those are "real" watch and why you are paying more.

A matter of taste
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 16, 2005
4193 posts
251 upvotes
Breitling Navitimer ? Yeah baby ... :(
Or anything else Breitling, for that matter.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2004
3370 posts
302 upvotes
Sherbrooke
nsd wrote:Breitling Navitimer ? Yeah baby ... :(
Or anything else Breitling, for that matter.
Breitling is real nice big watches... A bit too crowded on the dial on most model, but still awesome "real" watches.

One of my favorite brand are Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin and Zenith. Sadly, I will never have the money to buy one...

Just look at that..

hummm
[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/ ... Class1.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 1, 2003
21209 posts
4230 upvotes
YUL
nsd wrote:Breitling Navitimer ? Yeah baby ... :(
Or anything else Breitling, for that matter.
I love pilot watches (being a pilot). The Navitimer is a beauty, especially the 50th anniversary edition...

I also like the B-1 and Aerospace.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1350 upvotes
najibs wrote:Absolutely nothing! In fact, the $50 Timex probably has many more functions. BUT, you don't buy a Rolex for functionality. You buy it for craftsmanship, the amazing mechanical movement, it's stunning looks, and yes its a Rolex, so you're paying for the name. You'll never understand me telling you this until you own one or put one on your wrist...

Same thing as buying a Ferrari F430, as opposed to a Shelby Mustang. Mustang might be faster, have an extra 2 seats, less maintenance. But a Ferrari is a Ferrari and the fact that there's less of them makes it more exclusive, and more desirable...
$1000 Rolex, "so you're paying for the name"...............$200,000 +/- Ferrari F430 " But a Ferrari is a Ferrari "

Well....if nothing else...it goes to show you that these companies know what exactly they're doing..........Rolex, Ferrari..........in both cases, examples of where image creates desire IMO........to never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy.

"craftsmanship, amazing mechanical movement, stunning looks, the fact that there's less of them makes it more exclusive "certainly seem to describe how someone can derive actual pleasure from such material things.

Then again, I suppose it all depends on whether you have things - or they have you. :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 16, 2005
4193 posts
251 upvotes
You have to be a true car lover to appreciate the difference between a Ferrari and a Pontiac Sunfire. I guess it's the same with watches ;)
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13309 posts
2531 upvotes
Toronto
i'll stick with my old concord mini saratoga sl automatic... nobody in my school knows the Concord brand anyway.. so i don't think they'l jump me..
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
1109 posts
1 upvote
What is the worlds best pocket watch? Thinking of replacing once my watch is dead.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 1, 2003
21209 posts
4230 upvotes
YUL
poedua wrote:$1000 Rolex, "so you're paying for the name"...............$200,000 +/- Ferrari F430 " But a Ferrari is a Ferrari "

Well....if nothing else...it goes to show you that these companies know what exactly they're doing..........Rolex, Ferrari..........in both cases, examples of where image creates desire IMO........to never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy.

"craftsmanship, amazing mechanical movement, stunning looks, the fact that there's less of them makes it more exclusive "certainly seem to describe how someone can derive actual pleasure from such material things.

Then again, I suppose it all depends on whether you have things - or they have you. :)
Buy what you can afford, my friend. If you have to stick to your timex because you either dont want a Rolex or can't afford one, well then, that's you. If you like something and can afford it, and it makes you happy, then buy it.

Do we need Rolexes and Ferrari's...absolutely not. Do we want them...absolutely. The fact that they are scarce, luxurious, and expensive makes people want them more.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 15, 2005
8840 posts
Vancouver
Same reason women want REAL diamonds over FAKE diamonds.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 1, 2003
21209 posts
4230 upvotes
YUL
FastFokker wrote:Same reason women want REAL diamonds over FAKE diamonds.
Exactly. You cannot tell the difference between a fake and real diamond with the naked eye. They look the same, shine the same. I got engaged this past week, and a few days later went with her to get the ring resized, and stopped at a Jewellery Supplies wholesaler to buy some polishing cloths and they had boxes of CZ's (fake diamonds) and I pulled one out to look at with her and we were comparing the CZ to the real diamond on her ring. Both her and I concurred that we simply could not tell the difference. The price of the CZ was $1.50. THe diamond on her ring was in the thousands, but both look the same...
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1350 upvotes
nsd wrote:You have to be a true car lover to appreciate the difference between a Ferrari and a Pontiac Sunfire. I guess it's the same with watches ;)
Sunbird vs Ferrari...same as Timex vs Rolex.....interesting.

Although a $50 Timex likley does exactly what Rolex does...tell time and date....I would think it is no better or different than a Rolex ...the functionality is pretty much the same and interchangable - either will do.

By contrast, a Sunbird will never have a Ferrari's functionality of top end speed, 0-60 elapsed time etc...and you''d never drive a Ferrari year round to get to work , or drive your wife and 2 kids around on weekends in a Ferrari to get groceries or to get to the rink either..the functionality is not interchangable IMO. You don't get the exact same functionality from a Sunbird as a Ferrari.

I could see buying a $1000 Rolex as an investment...and it has an image that you can impress people with - if that is important to you...and if image and name power is important along with investment value...then drop $1000 on a watch....by all means.

But strictly as a watch...if I simply wanted a reliable watch to tell time and date only for day to day use - and nothing else - , I'd get the exact same functionality from a $50 Timex as a $1000 Rolex .....I get no greater functionality by spending $1000 vs $50 on a watch. I'd spend the other $950 elsewhere. :)

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)