Fashion & Beauty

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
2605 posts
1695 upvotes
Durham
Tiger131 wrote: Yours look like the Cartier Santos Octagon. Don’t know your production year. You can look at the back of the watch to see serial number (6-8 digits) and get a range of years your watch was made. As for value, just check on eBay for what yours is being asked for.
thank you that does look like it!

number says 296621217

how would one decipher this?
Nov 9, 2020
189 posts
110 upvotes
I had thought general info was online like how they are for Breitling and Omega but not so for Cartier. You’ll have to call up Cartier to get them to verify your serial number and model. If you can open the watch, then you can also see if a Cartier movement is inside. Helps with authentication process.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6128 upvotes
Toronto
loonieryan wrote: Looking to buy my nephew a watch as a wedding gift and really like this Hamilton Khaki: https://www.thebay.com/product/hamilton ... olor=BLACK

Thoughts? Opinions? Any other brand suggestions in the $1-2k price range?
I don't like black on black watches, hard to read, but YMMV.

I would rather get this Hamilton, it was around $2300 at the Bay for Boxing Day.

https://www.thebay.com/product/hamilton ... hronograph

Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6128 upvotes
Toronto
I got the $250 Phylida Aliexpress homage to this, with the ST19 Seagull movement. Excited to receive it. The real thing is WAY outta my price range.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6128 upvotes
Toronto
mrpricematch wrote: For all the Seiko heads out there.. If you had to add one more Seiko to your collection (that was not a Grand Seiko), what do you think of these two:

1. Seiko SPB143
https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/ ... x/spb143j1

2. SSC8131p1
https://www.seikowatches.com/ca-en/prod ... x/ssc813p1

I am calling it quits after this LAST Seiko. Already, have a SARB017, SARB035, SKX and that dinky field watch (my first watch and can't recall the model number).
Leaning towards the SPB143 as it just wears nice on the wrist (my wrist is just under 7").
Just get what you like. AS for SSC8131P1, $875 Cdn is WAY too much money for a solar quartz Chrono. Citizen has nice similar watches in the $200 to $300 range. The days of Seiko value are long gone.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6128 upvotes
Toronto
Was lucky enough to grab this guy for $675 Cdn, open box on Amazon Warehouse Deals, a few weeks ago. Alpina AL-555DGS4H6. Love it. Homage to 1970s Omega and Alpina designs.

Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6128 upvotes
Toronto
Tiger131 wrote: I really like the look. Had several opportunities to grab one but the 21,600 bph made me decide not to. I really like the newer version with the date cyclops but again with the 21,600 bph. Something about the slight perception of stuttering second hands at this speed bothers me.
That's fair, but lower beat rate watches can go longer without service, less wear and tear. I can see the stuttering even on 28800 bph watches but it's definitely less pronounced.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6128 upvotes
Toronto
rraj2k9 wrote: Some pics I took of one of my favorites in my collection, the Seiko Alpinist

ALPINIST_01.jpgALPINIST_02.jpgALPINIST_03.jpgALPINIST_06.jpgALPINIST_07.jpgALPINIST_08.jpg
It's definitely a classic. Personally it wasn't a favorite of mine, 38mm was a bit small on my 8" plus wrist and I didn't like the compass dial. I should have held onto it though since prices have skyrocketed.
Nov 9, 2020
189 posts
110 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: That's fair, but lower beat rate watches can go longer without service, less wear and tear. I can see the stuttering even on 28800 bph watches but it's definitely less pronounced.
Agree with all your points.... At first the 28,800 bph looks smooth, but the longer you own it the more stuttering you can pick out. Which is why I've been having this itch to go for a 36,000 bph watch. Been fighting the urge though, as thankfully a lot of the 36,000 bph watches on eBay don't have the look I like, or are beyond my price point. Which is good because I need another watch like I need a hole in my head.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17962 posts
16973 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Kurtz7834 wrote: That's fair, but lower beat rate watches can go longer without service, less wear and tear. I can see the stuttering even on 28800 bph watches but it's definitely less pronounced.
How often are you servicing the movements?

My Omega SMPC went 10 years, which I wore daily 24/7. Could go longer if it was part of a rotation.
Dec 4, 2009
487 posts
373 upvotes
Where do you guys have your nicer watches serviced in the west end? Automatic movement, specifically a Calibre 16

Appreciate the input!
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6128 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: How often are you servicing the movements?

My Omega SMPC went 10 years, which I wore daily 24/7. Could go longer if it was part of a rotation.
I have mostly low end watches where the cost of servicing the movement is likely more than just swapping in a new movement. Lots of Seiko NH35A watches, SW200 movements, Seagull ST19... For the ST19, I'm quite sure that installing a new movement will be way cheaper than servicing it.

This guy needs service, Tissot PRS200 Automatic chrono. I got the watch for $550 used, and servicing the watch may cost more than that... If anyone has recommendations for a good Toronto area place, let me know.

Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6128 upvotes
Toronto
Todd96srv wrote: Where do you guys have your nicer watches serviced in the west end? Automatic movement, specifically a Calibre 16

Appreciate the input!
I would also like to know for Toronto area. And a guy that can swap out a commodity cheap movement (Seiko NH35A etc.) at a low price.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6128 upvotes
Toronto
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: Anyone else fell for the automatic meme?

Quartz is arguably superior for Chrono watches. On most quartz chronos you don't have the large stuttering second hand, it's on the small dial. High quality chrono quartz movements are very cheap and last for 10-20 years. It's expensive to service Automatic chronos.

Also, because most of the watch world is drooling over automatics and has moved away from quartz, you can find great deals on quartz watches in the resale market.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6005 posts
1632 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: Quartz is arguably superior for Chrono watches. On most quartz chronos you don't have the large stuttering second hand, it's on the small dial. High quality chrono quartz movements are very cheap and last for 10-20 years. It's expensive to service Automatic chronos.

Also, because most of the watch world is drooling over automatics and has moved away from quartz, you can find great deals on quartz watches in the resale market.
I have zero interest in quartz, chrono or otherwise...
Mar 30, 2013
395 posts
188 upvotes
Petawawa
Kurtz7834 wrote: Just get what you like. AS for SSC8131P1, $875 Cdn is WAY too much money for a solar quartz Chrono. Citizen has nice similar watches in the $200 to $300 range. The days of Seiko value are long gone.
I know what you mean with rising Seiko prices.. It's hard to stomach but maybe they were always a little underpriced? I'm generally just more attracted to Seiko aesthetics than Citizen.
The best price so far has been 20% off of the chrono. Most places I have called, are not willing to discount on the SPB143. Something about Seiko not wanting anyone to discount watches with a 6r movement. Which is funny cause, it is not exactly precise and without QC issues.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6128 upvotes
Toronto
mrpricematch wrote: I know what you mean with rising Seiko prices.. It's hard to stomach but maybe they were always a little underpriced? I'm generally just more attracted to Seiko aesthetics than Citizen.
The best price so far has been 20% off of the chrono. Most places I have called, are not willing to discount on the SPB143. Something about Seiko not wanting anyone to discount watches with a 6r movement. Which is funny cause, it is not exactly precise and without QC issues.
If you look at the specs of lower end Seiko watches (mineral crystal, 21,600 bph, etc), they are arguably overpriced compared to their competitors. In addition, I have seen consistent power reserve problems in brand new Seiko watches using the older 7S26 movement. Having owned many lower end Seiko and Citizen watches, Seiko usually has the cheaper crappier bracelet vs Citizen.

Amazon.ca sometimes has nice discounts on Seiko but the pricing varies all over the place, Amazon prices change very quickly.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6128 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone tried the Aliexpress Chinese Tourbillon watches (movement made by Seagull)? I'm intrigued but the total cost is $450ish Cdn so I wouldn't wanna buy something that won't last at least a few years.
Nov 9, 2020
189 posts
110 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: Was lucky enough to grab this guy for $675 Cdn, open box on Amazon Warehouse Deals, a few weeks ago. Alpina AL-555DGS4H6. Love it. Homage to 1970s Omega and Alpina designs.

If I started all over at zero watch this would be on my short list for first watch. Alpina makes some great watches that can be had for great prices.