Computers & Electronics

Watching local movies with Plex offline

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2018 9:04 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world

Watching local movies with Plex offline

I have Kodi with a Plex addon. I also have a Plex server that I log in in order to sync my local movies and download their artwork and whatever extra info.
Both Kodi and Plex run in the same computer.
My movies are stored in a USB HD that I attach to the computer.

What I do is I start Kodi, run the Plex addon and this opens the movies library. From there I just select the movie to watch and that's it.

However, when my WiFi doesn't work, I can't connect to the Plex server and I can't watch the movies even if they're local.
I get frustrated so I just open the movie folder and double click on the file to watch the movie through VLC.

Is there a way to watch the movies via Kodi-Plex offline?

I see some websites mention I'd have to sync my media, but wouldn't that be the case for media stored in a remote device?
7 replies
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1469 posts
511 upvotes
Ottawa
Have you consider connecting to the Plex server directly instead of going thru Kodi? For sure you can connect to Plex using the browser if you are on the server even if the Internet connection is down. Personally I find the Plex interface is much nicer than Kodi anyway.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
csi123 wrote: Have you consider connecting to the Plex server directly instead of going thru Kodi? For sure you can connect to Plex using the browser if you are on the server even if the Internet connection is down. Personally I find the Plex interface is much nicer than Kodi anyway.
I used to do that, but I had problems with subtitles disappearing after a couple of minutes watching a movie.
Through Kodi the subtitles appear, it just I can't access the Plex server through Kodi if I don't have an Internet connection.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1403 posts
1185 upvotes
VANCOUVER
gontori wrote: I have Kodi with a Plex addon. I also have a Plex server that I log in in order to sync my local movies and download their artwork and whatever extra info.
Both Kodi and Plex run in the same computer.
My movies are stored in a USB HD that I attach to the computer.

What I do is I start Kodi, run the Plex addon and this opens the movies library. From there I just select the movie to watch and that's it.

However, when my WiFi doesn't work, I can't connect to the Plex server and I can't watch the movies even if they're local.
I get frustrated so I just open the movie folder and double click on the file to watch the movie through VLC.

Is there a way to watch the movies via Kodi-Plex offline?

I see some websites mention I'd have to sync my media, but wouldn't that be the case for media stored in a remote device?
Fix the wifi problem.

Wifi should work 100% of the time.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27033 posts
3702 upvotes
Montreal
Plex has weaknesses. This is one of them.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
Not sure how much this would help but I do believe plex needs internet access for access authorization. You could potentially bypass this by adding local IP to the authorization "list", so it would work regardless of your internet access.

And correct me if I am wrong but I believe Plex runs like this: Client >(step1)> Router >(step2)> Files on Server (even though it is on the same computer)

Your problem is that Client does not have connection to the router, your step 1 is off.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
konsensei wrote: Not sure how much this would help but I do believe plex needs internet access for access authorization. You could potentially bypass this by adding local IP to the authorization "list", so it would work regardless of your internet access.

And correct me if I am wrong but I believe Plex runs like this: Client >(step1)> Router >(step2)> Files on Server (even though it is on the same computer)

Your problem is that Client does not have connection to the router, your step 1 is off.
That did the trick!
I just entered my localhost IP address to the list and voila! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Thanks a lot!!!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
gontori wrote: That did the trick!
I just entered my localhost IP address to the list and voila! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Thanks a lot!!!
interesting!!

Top