• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2021 12:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2020
1025 posts
569 upvotes

Water coming in through Garage door when raining

Replaced new garage door 8 months ago & replace old concrete flooring by Epoxy one a few months ago
Now started observing water leaking in through garage door under and then i have to sweep water out every time.
Attached pic
Looking for suggestions how to fix it. Also wondering if we are using Epoxy flooring, should we put it through out flooring extending to outside/end of garage or epoxy only before the garage door bottom sealing starts and then leave concrete outside part? My flooring guy just put Epoxy throughout flooring.
My basic doubt is that usually Epoxy flooring is not flat one (like concrete) so not sure if this has to be fixed or garage door bottom sealing has to be fixed.
Images
  • 20210703_085020.jpg
16 replies
Jun 24, 2005
715 posts
118 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Check if the slope at the driveway next to the garage door is actually sloping away from the door.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
2036 posts
1708 upvotes
Brampton
You need to raise your step it's usually adjustable.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2222 posts
415 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Open the garage door & show me what it looks like on both sides of the door. Hose down the area to show me why the water is pooling at the door. Did the floor epoxy guy eliminate the slope that is outside of the door with the new flooring?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5340 posts
2195 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Could you post a photo with the door open.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2020
1025 posts
569 upvotes
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

Open the garage door & show me what it looks like on both sides of the door. Hose down the area to show me why the water is pooling at the door. Did the floor epoxy guy eliminate the slope that is outside of the door with the new flooring?
Pics here.
Nope. EPoxy guy did not do anything in leveling other than just doing some initial grinding/leveling with his machine.
But regardless of flooring, shouldn't the Garage door stop any water coming in first?
Images
  • 20210703_174504.jpg
  • 20210703_174254.jpg
  • 20210703_174501.jpg
  • 20210703_174409.jpg
  • 20210703_174413.jpg
  • 20210703_174212.jpg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2020
1025 posts
569 upvotes
db9514022 wrote: Had same problem. Installed this 5 years ago. Easy to install and has worked perfectly ever since.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001JD ... UTF8&psc=1
Have you installed this outside the door?
Once installed, if we sweep water or clean inside, is it easy to push water outside with a mop as I do today? Or , with this layer, you need to somehow suck all water with a wet vacuum or something?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
19430 posts
14403 upvotes
Markham
nowhere2010 wrote: Have you installed this outside the door?
Once installed, if we sweep water or clean inside, is it easy to push water outside with a mop as I do today? Or , with this layer, you need to somehow suck all water with a wet vacuum or something?
Google garage door threshold and watch some videos.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
May 12, 2021
138 posts
62 upvotes
How about adjusting the garage door opener to put some more seal load on the garage door seal?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2020
1025 posts
569 upvotes
A dumb question Grinning Face
Is it good idea not to do Epoxy on that floor area where garage door meets so we have some flat surface and then easy to glue these threshold seals?
Wondering how you guys have done it. Epoxy till end outside floor or stop just right before door
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1287 posts
685 upvotes
GTA
Normally stops at the door as it tends to turn yellow when exposed to sunlight.
Sep 7, 2015
98 posts
68 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
nowhere2010 wrote: Have you installed this outside the door?
No the door closes right on top of it. I don't see why you couldn't sweep or push water over it.

garage-door-threshold-seal-worth-2323836/
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1083 posts
227 upvotes
How much it cost to do epoxy for a one and half car garage in Whitby, Ontario ?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
19430 posts
14403 upvotes
Markham
nowhere2010 wrote: A dumb question Grinning Face
Is it good idea not to do Epoxy on that floor area where garage door meets so we have some flat surface and then easy to glue these threshold seals?
Wondering how you guys have done it. Epoxy till end outside floor or stop just right before door
If I had a Epoxy floor...I'd stop where inside floor meets inside of door. No point putting Epoxy under the garage door bottom seal.

Look at your front door...your inside flooring stops where it meets outside door, it does not go under the door.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
2000 posts
486 upvotes
'sauga
OP, perhaps water was leaking in previously and you didn't notice, since it would drain through the concrete.

Now that the concrete is sealed with epoxy on top, the water has nowhere to go and accumulates.

Anyway, the seal at the bottom of the door is clearly not working as intended. If your garage door is still under warranty, try contacting the company that installed it. Or as another poster suggested try adjusting your garage door opener.